Vestibular Disease in older dogs

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Anyone ever had a dog that had this? Seems to be what my vets thinks is wrong with my 9 year old yellow lab. Last week she looked as though she had just had a seizure. Disorientated, stumbling, walking in circles. I had just gotten up that morning and went to let her out and noticed this behavior. I thought maybe she had a seizure before I came down to let her out. I have taken care of a golden retriever with epilepsy, so I know the behavior after a seizure. It only lasted about 20 minutes or so and she was back to normal. Then Saturday I was sitting on the couch and she wouldn’t leave me alone. I laid down on the floor with her for a minute trying to get her to relax. When she got up it happened again. There was no seizure, but she was clumbsy, disorientated, walking in circles, didn’t want to go off the carpet or anywhere near stairs. Again in 10-15 minutes she was back to normal. It hasn’t happened since that I know of, but we took her to the vet Monday night. They ran blood tests and they came back normal. This is all they could think of to be the issue.

Just curious if anyone else has had a dog with this and if this sounds like the correct diagnosis?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Actually, my 14 year old springer/retriever mix had this last fall. We thought he was a goner, he looked like he had a stroke, head tilted to the side, he was dizzy, eyes bounced back and forth etc…. With him being as old as he is, we were prepared for the worst.

Took him to the vet, first thing in the morning, and they said he would be fine, and it was vestibular. Said he was doing pretty well considering it had been less than 24 hours, and to expect a full recovery within 2 weeks. They did say there may be slight head tilt for life, but we haven’t noticed it. I did have to carry him outside to the bathroom for a few days, but within about 3-4 days he was going up and down the steps by himself.

sticker

good to hear, thanks!

pass0047
    Pool4

In my clinical experience dogs with old dog vestibular disease do not have episodes like you are explaining. Old dog vestibular disease is more constant and it often resolves itself over 4 to 7 days. These short episodes are not typical of vestibular disease in my experience.

Sounds more concerning for possible seizure like activity.

sticker

Now that you mention that all the research I have done does say it’s a constant condition until it’s gone. not short lived episodes. I will ask my vet about that, thanks

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Had a 13 year old schnoodle, at the time, had 2 episodes over a year like the symptons you discribed. Scary and a helpless feeling that’s for sure, like said I also was prepaired for the worst but she was fine after each episode with a short recovery time.
    I never took her in to see the vet so I never found out what caused it.
    At over 15 I let her go her own way with an unrelated cause.

sticker

thanks for the info! Maybe it depends on the dog and why they got it in the first place.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Me and my Large Munsterlander thoughts are with you and your pup.

sticker

Me and my Large Munsterlander thoughts are with you and your pup.

thanks man! Fortunately there have not been anymore episodes that I know of and the pup is not suffering, so all is good for now. toast

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Happened to my golden about a year or so back. Thought she was a gonner. Took her to the vet to be put down and he immediately knew based on her twitchy eye movement. Carried her back home and nursed her back. Took many days. We couldnt believe it. We KNEW she was a gonner so you can imagine how we felt.

She just turned 14 and still around.

sticker

Looks like it is something she will have to live with. She gets it about once or twice a week, but pretty mild. She seems to be adjusting to it.

Thanks for asking!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Thanks for the update sticker. Our pups sure can surprise us.
    Ralph Wiggum thanks for bringing to the front.

In remembrance of my pup and support my profile picture has been changed. The small pup in the back round went through this. 2 friends having a hay day of fun in the feild.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.