Upgrading outerwear

• Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

I’m going to break down and upgrade my outerwear for ice fishing and spring fishing on the river. Just wanted peoples input on best brand, type and insulation from head to toe and I am pretty tall fellow at 6 foot 5 and over ……well let’s just say big. I understand what you get is what you pay for. I just want to get the right stuff and its got to be comfortable and not binding when you bend over. also, I watch the in depth shows all the time and I’m curious what footwear you use James? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Leon

I personally use Frabill and Mountain Hardwear for fishing. For boots during ice I use Baffin, I think I have the Wolf model with -140f liners. I’ve been on -20f temps for over 8 hours with these boots and never gotten cold.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I watch the in depth shows all the time and I’m curious what footwear you use James? Thanks in advance.

I’m wearing LaCrosse Alpha Ice Kings. They’re the only boots I’ve ever owned that last more than a couple months before leaking like a sieve. My last pair made it through 3 seasons before I gashed the right boot with an auger blade and they needed to be replaced. I started the season this year with a different brand because I couldn’t find the Alphas in my size locally. I ended up kicking that replacement pair to the curb after 3 weeks when they started leaking and I’m back in Alphas and enjoying warm and dry feet again.

little-t
    Plymouth WI

IMHO
    A few years ago I purchased a “sno-suit”. I believe they are being manufactured by Frabill now. A little pricy, but well worth the price. I haven’t been “froze out” since.
    t

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I do believe that the Snosuit line had been discontinued, unfortunately.

I highly recommend Baffin boots. I’ve had mine for about 10 years now and couldn’t even imagine buying another pair for at least another 5 years, or more. Never leaked and are by far the warmest I’ve ever owned. Don’t go with the nylon model. Go with a leather model for longevity and water resistance.

I think back then I paid about $120 for them but are well worth the $200 if that’s what they cost now. Buy them big, they shouldn’t be tight in any way and make sure to wear lightweight or medium weight wool socks with nylon liners.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I do believe that the Snosuit line had been discontinued, unfortunately.

This is correct. Snosuit has been discontinued completely.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

everlovin2122,
    Hard to argue with the shell of the top tier of Ice gear on the market. Between water and WIND proof, all good stuff. I don’t want this to be a rant, but rather an understanding of what/how gear is made. Every year, I make the decision that this is the time that I am going to invest on a set of ice gear. Go to which ever dealer, try it on one last time…………put it back on the rack and go home empty handed.
    I’m not a big guy by any means (5-11 @ 215# +/-) but why don’t these manufacture make a true performance cut on their clothing? This drives me nuts and I can’t spend the money on it. Bibs fit too tight in the waist/thighs to get the legnth, coats bind up when you twist to the side. Maybe I’m a little picky on clothing??? But it seems to me that gear with a performance cut (wider than normal) is so much more comfortable. It would be different if I sat in one spot and had little desire to be mobile.
    So anyways, I opt to wear my waterfowl gear when i need the extra warmth or rain proof. The Muddy Water bibbs and wader coats are by far the most comfortable cut of clothing for me.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

I personally use Frabill and Mountain Hardwear for fishing. For boots during ice I use Baffin, I think I have the Wolf model with -140f liners. I’ve been on -20f temps for over 8 hours with these boots and never gotten cold.

That mountain hardwear will cost you a arm and a leg and it’s super ugly gear to boot!!!

What do James and the guys where on the show for coveralls

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I got the Striker Ice LITE Suite a couple of seasons ago and have really enjoyed it. I believe that model has been replaced with the Predator.

yummymuskie
    A River.

i wear the srtiker ice climate suit, warm dry and it floats.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We wear a mix of Strikemaster and Ice Force bibs. The Strikemaster bibs have been discontinued so I’m looking for a replacement as well. The Ice Force bibs don’t fit me in the inseam / legs so they’re not an option.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Does anybody know of a retailer in SE MN or even within driving distance that carries Baffin Boots?

I want a pair but want to try them on before buying.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Thanks everyone for your input. GO Packers toast !!!!!!!

Shane Rosalez

I seen Gander Mountain has a few models. Otherwise try zappos.com they have more models and its free shipping too. I’m looking to replace my sorels with a pair of baffin boots, but probably not until next season. My sorels are nice, but I want something a little bit more warmer.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cauy Hofer wrote:</div>

We wear a mix of Strikemaster and Ice Force bibs. The Strikemaster bibs have been discontinued so I’m looking for a replacement as well. The Ice Force bibs don’t fit me in the inseam / legs so they’re not an option.

James,

There is a new pair of Strikemaster bibs on Ebay, 4XL so they are probably to big.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cauy Hofer wrote:</div>

James,

There is a new pair of Strikemaster bibs on Ebay, 4XL so they are probably to big.

Yeah, I’m a 2 XL. Thanks for letting me know though.

yummymuskie
    A River.

striker bibs go to 36″ inseam i believe, not sure if you can wear them or not though

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.