UAW contract…..Yikes!

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Blip on NBC news tonight said the UAW is after the big 3 for a 46% raise. 32 hour work weeks but they want to be paid for 40 hours. They also said that UAW workers make between $10 & $20 per hour more than non-union shops such as Toyota.

There strike signs say……”:Record Profits” = “Record Contract”.

This nuts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s ridiculous. 46% raise? Last I checked if you only work 32 hours, you get paid for 32 hours. Not 40.

dirtywater

There strike signs say……”:Record Profits” = “Record Contract”.

This nuts.

46% is a lot to ask, and I haven’t read or listened enough to form an opinion beyond that. But I’ll say there’s nothing nuts about the phrase on that sign to me. Why shouldn’t record profits mean record compensation for the people who build the vehicles?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I dont blame them

Coletrain27

I guess you got to start the negotiations somewhere jester

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9519.jpeg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It will all settle out. One side asks for 46%, while the other proposes 0% and job cuts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It will all settle out. One side asks for 46%, while the other proposes 0% and job cuts.

They’ve offered a 9% raise.

I still don’t quite understand the demand that they get paid for 40 hours and only work 32. Literally no other job is like that.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This nuts

Totally agree. Especially when the execs in the boardroom have taken massive pay cuts.

GM CEO Mary Barra’s total compensation for the 2022 calendar year was $34,106,824, down from $62,260,812 in 2021.

And the Big 3 execs are basically barely scraping by as far as auto industry execs go. Lucid Group CEO Peter Rawlinson was ranked second on the list with a total compensation of $379,029,183, more than eleven times the compensation of GM CEO Mary Barra. Lucid produces high-end electric vehicles. At the top of the list was Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, who reportedly received $506,343,201 in compensation for 2022. Nvidia designs and supplies computer chips for use in automotive applications.

So as you can see, the auto industry is really suffering and there’s no way they can be handing out cash like the UAW demands.

Jason

I still don’t quite understand the demand that they get paid for 40 hours and only work 32. Literally no other job is like that

Well some nurses/doctors have a simular setup when it comes to their bennies and overtime I know.

Folks this coincides with the Bidennomics plan. Huge handouts to the unions to help them migrate to electric vehicles using general taxpayers money. The auto manufacturers surly aren’t going to eat a 46% increase. If cars get too expensive the government wins since more people will only have busses and trains to utilize.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    This nuts

Totally agree. Especially when the execs in the boardroom have taken massive pay cuts.

GM CEO Mary Barra’s total compensation for the 2022 calendar year was $34,106,824, down from $62,260,812 in 2021.

And the Big 3 execs are basically barely scraping by as far as auto industry execs go. Lucid Group CEO Peter Rawlinson was ranked second on the list with a total compensation of $379,029,183, more than eleven times the compensation of GM CEO Mary Barra. Lucid produces high-end electric vehicles. At the top of the list was Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, who reportedly received $506,343,201 in compensation for 2022. Nvidia designs and supplies computer chips for use in automotive applications.

So as you can see, the auto industry is really suffering and there’s no way they can be handing out cash like the UAW demands.

A tip of the cap to you, sir.

MX1825

46% raise is nuts.
    4 days X 8 hours = 32 hours.
    Work 4 days get paid for 5 that’s nuts.

Execs making multiple millions that’s nuts.

CEO should only make 25 times what the lowest paid employee makes.
    So employee makes 100k CEO gets 2.5 million. CEO will just have to scrape by like everyone else. doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The 2017 tax rates will expire in 2025.
    I’m expecting a 3% to 5% tax increase for me to pay for the wagon riders.
    As a wagon puller I’ll just budget for another pair of pulling boots.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As a wagon puller you will just raise your rates 10% to cover taxes and incidentals. Some just don’t understand that “free” doesn’t work with money.

CaptainMusky

Some just don’t understand that “free” doesn’t work with money.

Nothing is ever free. Yes, execs make far too much money. I cannot fathom why they make so much.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Don’t let the MN fair employees hear about this they will be the next on strike.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

When the most popular song in the country right now is about blue collar workers struggling financially, it’s easy to understand why unions are more popular and their proposals in bargaining are steep right now. I don’t mean that their proposals are right or good or whatever, but it’s easy to understand why they’re making them. Every business hopes it can pass along higher labor costs but it doesn’t always work out that way.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its actually 46% spread out over the course of the next 4 years. Slightly misleading because I thought they wanted an immediate 46% raise. 11.5%/year doesn’t sound completely unreasonable.

That still doesn’t account for the BS of getting paid for 40 hours and only working 32 though. If I work 32 hours, I get paid for 32. If you want 40 hours of pay, work 40 hours. Not complicated.

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    I still don’t quite understand the demand that they get paid for 40 hours and only work 32. Literally no other job is like that

Well some nurses/doctors have a simular setup when it comes to their bennies and overtime I know.

Nurses and doctors I know work 12 hour shifts, 3 days first week and 4 days the next week. 7×12=84 hours. Most nurses work a bunch of overtime given the shortage of licensed nurses. Since nurses get paid hourly they make 5% more than if they worked a standard 40 hour week plus overtime. Docs are on a completely different and non-hourly plan.

duh queen

For the workers, a cost of living/inflation increase plus 2% seems reasonable. If reports of record profits are to be believed, then they’re charging too much for their cars. Why a portion of GM’s record profit hasn’t been funneled back to the original stock holders pre- the Obama confiscation baffles me.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks to the forced shutdown of Covid… with a shortage of vehicles, dealers and then manufacturers, discovered they could get more for their inventory… most new vehicles went up $10k almost overnight… and never came back down until recently, with rebates being a thing again. Imagine being able to build a whole vehicle… minus a chip ? Some things were “created” to help the price hikes I do believe. coffee

Riverrat

This might effect mexican auto workers too, so basically if you want any car produced in North America it will cost about 100,000

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I still don’t quite understand the demand that they get paid for 40 hours and only work 32. Literally no other job is like that.

Unless you are a remote worker. They may claim 40. But they are not working it.

Reef W

Unless you are a remote worker. They may claim 40. But they are not working it.

I’m in IT and have monitored people’s activities, it’s no different. Sitting in office isn’t automatically “working” either.

CaptainMusky

Thanks to the forced shutdown of Covid… with a shortage of vehicles, dealers and then manufacturers, discovered they could get more for their inventory… most new vehicles went up $10k almost overnight… and never came back down until recently, with rebates being a thing again. Imagine being able to build a whole vehicle… minus a chip ? Some things were “created” to help the price hikes I do believe.

A lot to this. Because of these “shortages” I wasnt able to get some of the things I ordered. Some packages I wanted were not available so when my truck came I was really disappointed. I went online and built the truck exactly as I originally did and it was 7K more. By the time my truck came in it was 3K more than when I ordered, but I paid what was on my build sheet. These manufacturers are starting to feel the pain though. With inflation going crazy, interest rates not coming down any time soon they are not selling vehicles. I asked my dealer how long it would take to get a new half ton should I order one, he said 3 to 4 months. Much better than the 13 months it took for me to get the one I have. He said if you want a Yukon it will be 2 to 3 YEARS and even then you may not even get it as they will just cancel the order.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I drove through a local lot by where I live. I used to sell cars after college and a new truck was $40k, tops, for a 1 ton, with all the trim. Now days, a fairly loaded half ton is $80k. That was what my parent’s house cost back in 1985. WTF? Maybe the UAW is renegotiating, because the members want to buy a new truck, and didn’t know they cost as much as they do. shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I drove through a local lot by where I live. I used to sell cars after college and a new truck was $40k, tops, for a 1 ton, with all the trim. Now days, a fairly loaded half ton is $80k. That was what my parent’s house cost back in 1985. WTF? Maybe the UAW is renegotiating, because the members want to buy a new truck, and didn’t know they cost as much as they do. shock

Or maybe they cost what they do because the UAW exists?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think Glenn is hiding out at his cabin for a few days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Or maybe they cost what they do because the UAW exists?

This.

Keeps those companies from walking all over the employees. Keeps them making a fair wage. That’s not what’s driving the cost up. When they jump prices 15k in a couple months and the first thing guys do is order a truck, that’s what Keeps the costs up

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.