UAW contract…..Yikes!

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN
    Will Ferrell Lol GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
    gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

thats where your wrong. there are places that offer 32 hour weeks that pay for 40 hours.

Give me one example. Just one.

Not one job in my life have I been paid for more hours than I worked. To even ask for full time pay and expect to only be on the clock for 32 is disgraceful and repugnant. Let them walk if that is their demand. Plenty of people out there will work 40 hours and get paid for 40.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Oops fired up the Union guys!

nope not at all. Just stating facts!!

Reef W

ot one job in my life have I been paid for more hours than I worked.

You should try a job that offers PTO

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    thats where your wrong. there are places that offer 32 hour weeks that pay for 40 hours.

Not one job in my life have I been paid for more hours than I worked. To even ask for full time pay and expect to only be on the clock for 32 is disgraceful and repugnant. Let them walk if that is their demand. Plenty of people out there will work 40 hours and get paid for 40.

the hangar city shop did it for awhile, then got a new plant manager. I guy on a different site did it for years. Somewhere in Mankato I believe.

DCI In st cloud did it for a while when they were super busy. Over the weekend 3 12 hour days 40 hours pay.with 40 hours of benefits. And I was part of that process at DCI and hagar city plant.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You should try a job that offers PTO

I’ve got plenty of that working for the feds.

This is not some time off PTO demand. They want to work 32 hours every week and get paid for 40. That’s 72 hours on a paycheck, not 80. Cry me a river UAW.

Hoyt4
    NULL

I have a few buddies work 36 paid for 40 not the first time I’ve hears something like that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

In 2021 the CEO of Ford received a compensation package valued at over $22 million in just salary and stock awards alone. This didn’t take into account retirement nuggets, health insurance, blah blah.

Keep in mind relatively recently Ford was handed a $9.2 billion dollar subsidy to develop more EVs that they will likely have higher margins on. Fancy that – the government taking taxpayer money to give to a company with CEOs lining their pockets.

…now back to those greedy factory workers making $60k a year. Nothing irks me more than another middle class person like myself negotiating for a raise. Who do they think they are?

***This is exactly what keeps the 1% the 1%. They’ve succeeded yet again in making another workers’ rights issue a war between middle class workers instead of looking at the larger picture. IDO has taken that hook, line, and sinker. A few of you have swallowed it to the point you might s**t it out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just to clarify here, I am not against a union or negotiating higher pay. What they’re seeking is a 46% raise spread out over 4 years which comes out to 11.5% increase/year. Perhaps a little high, but not completely unreasonable.

I’ve stated my opinion on the hours issue, no need to keep going there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just to clarify here, I am not against a union or negotiating higher pay. What they’re seeking is a 46% raise spread out over 4 years which comes out to 11.5% increase/year. Perhaps a little high, but not completely unreasonable.

I’ve stated my opinion on the hours issue, no need to keep going there.

I see it as a bargaining chip and an option for moving forward. I don’t see what the difference is between number of hours worked for X pay and the rate of pay per hour. If you don’t want to give us X increase, then let us work fewer hours or maybe a compromise in the middle if that’s easier for the executives to swallow.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They aren’t going to get everything they ask for. People get hung up on that time and time again. Is some of it absurd? – Yes. Are those the things they are likely to get? – No. Are the heads at UAW well aware of this? – Yes.

I’ve negotiated a union contract and multiple non-union contracts in 2 completely different career areas. These numbers are high, but the gaps in the same industry between the boots on the grounds and the executives is one of the higher ones in the entire labor force private or public.

I have no skin in the game whatsoever. If I was forced to support one side or the other, it’d sure as hell be the UAWs making $60k before the guys reaping packages of over $20 million a year with their hands in pockets in Washington behind closed doors. Some here may take the other side and that’s great too, nothing but differing opinions.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Full disclosure, I’ve never worked for a union in my life and I’ve worked in manufacturing my entire life. Going on 20 years at my current place of employment.

This isn’t and shouldn’t be a union vs non-union thing.

Reef W

his is not some time off PTO demand. They want to work 32 hours every week and get paid for 40. That’s 72 hours on a paycheck, not 80. Cry me a river UAW.

What if they work for 32, get paid for 32, but make more per hour than they did before? Oh… that’s the exact same thing. Have you ever heard of someone getting paid more per hour than they used to? lol

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^The 1%ers sure want it to be though.

Dream scenario:

union workers fighting non union workers & middle class workers fighting with other middle class workers

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

We get it often on our jobs. Work 4 10s and get paid 48. Work 36 get paid 42. I see it all the time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Full disclosure, I’ve never worked for a union in my life and I’ve worked in manufacturing my entire life. Going on 20 years at my current place of employment.

Agree 100 percent. It’s a workers negotiating with the company. Just happens to be a union shop. Happens in the non union world as well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I would go as far to say everyone on this thread could be on the line, non of us could could sit in the big chair.

If you don’t think a CEO is worth what they are being paid, then your just extremely envious.

If the workers get what they are asking for, Great. If they don’t, Great.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you don’t think a CEO is worth what they are being paid, then your just extremely envious.

`

I’m only envious of the UAW workers. I have no interest in living like the 1%.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Biggill wrote:</div>

Agree 100 percent. It’s a workers negotiating with the company. Just happens to be a union shop. Happens in the non union world as well.

I’m not union, and I got a 2% raise. Didn’t go on strike to get it, just came to work and that was what I was paid. I guess I don’t feel entitled to anything, other then working hard to keep my job.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I would go as far to say everyone on this thread could be on the line, non of us could could sit in the big chair.

If the workers get what they are asking for, Great. If they don’t, Great.

I don’t think anyone specifically said they aren’t worth what they are paid at any point unless I missed it?

However, I don’t think their compensation packages should be a mute point when UAWs are asking for raises on their $60k salary and a strike ensues. I also take issue with the US Government subsidies and how those sitting in the big chairs are holding hands with those in Washington DC.

People here like to scream about political corruption – when it fits their narrative (myself included). The biggest CEOs running businesses that have been bailed out and subsidized to no end are worth including in that same conversation.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

`

I’m only envious of the UAW workers. I have no interest in living like the 1%.

Why?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Because I have almost no leverage where I work to assure reasonable wages and benefits. I like where I work but we have all seen a sudden erosion of our pay and benefits over the past 5 years or so in spite of record profits the last 2-3 years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not union, and I got a 2% raise. Didn’t go on strike to get it, just came to work and that was what I was paid. I guess I don’t feel entitled to anything, other then working hard to keep my job.
    [/quote]

Nice

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Nice
    [/quote]

jester Insurance got more expensive, too.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Because I have almost no leverage where I work to assure reasonable wages and benefits. I like where I work but we have all seen a sudden erosion of our pay and benefits over the past 5 years or so in spite of record profits the last 2-3 years.

So you’re not receiving reasonable wages and benefits where you work and you’ve seen erosion of your pay and benefits over the past 5 years?

Sure doesn’t seem like a good place to work.

BTW – If you’re good at what you do, you have leverage.

CaptainMusky

2% isnt much when inflation is 5 times that. We rarely get 3% for raises too, but you cannot keep up with the cost of living at this rate on those increases. Luckily last year I got a 14k raise for some reason, no idea why, which was outside of my annual review plus I now get bonuses that are typically 10% of my salary and sometimes more. Those come in handy but man they are taxed incessantly.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hard Water Fan wrote:</div>
    WYOB

That’s for everyone on this thread that isn’t a UAW or Management, correct?

Not really directed at anyone. Was supposed to be tongue in cheek but that likely doesn’t across in a 4 letter post!

But it’s Friday so:

toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

Insurance got more expensive, too.
    [/quote]

I’m in the laborers union. Not because I’m some pro union guy by anymeans. More so because I was told it was a smart choice at 18 when I joined. And boy am I glad I did it. Sitting here looking at what’s in my pension is a great feeling. My benefits are absolutely awesome and I work for a employer who pays me well above the union wage.
    When the union threatens to strike I kind of roll my eyes. But I see what some of my non union buddies go through and the times they get crapped on by a crap employer and they have no good retirement and I am sure glad I took the path I did. I have almost 20 years in and I’ll be living pretty solid when I retire at 55

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.