UAW contract…..Yikes!

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Keeps those companies from walking all over the employees. Keeps them making a fair wage. That’s not what’s driving the cost up. When they jump prices 15k in a couple months and the first thing guys do is order a truck, that’s what Keeps the costs up
    [/quote]

Its a 2 way straight regarding where the prices of new vehicles. When there used to be a GM plant in southern WI, the UAW negotiated for the workers to have the week of gun deer season off (they just called in a plant shut down for maintenance if I recall) and also worked in having whatever shift was working during the Packer games to be able to watch the game – installed TVs throughout the plant

sure maybe GM agreed to these things but there was added cost

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Keeps those companies from walking all over the employees. Keeps them making a fair wage. That’s not what’s driving the cost up. When they jump prices 15k in a couple months and the first thing guys do is order a truck, that’s what Keeps the costs up

Its a 2 way straight regarding where the prices of new vehicles. When there used to be a GM plant in southern WI, the UAW negotiated for the workers to have the week of gun deer season off (they just called in a plant shut down for maintenance if I recall) and also worked in having whatever shift was working during the Packer games to be able to watch the game – installed TVs throughout the plant

sure maybe GM agreed to these things but there was added cost

[/quote]

It’s always a 2 way street. But guys paying 70k for a half ton is why a half ton is 70k

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Base/pro model for GMC is $50K with a 5.3L V8. There is $38K of options that can be added to that. People are willing to pay for those options.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Vehicle prices are a product of many things:

-input material costs (metals for chips, raw materials, etc aren’t getting any cheaper)

-labor costs (these are going up, just like everything else but are not what I’d consider the root cause)

-absurd demand (as BC alluded to, if people are crazy enough to spend $80k on a half ton pickup, that’s where they will be priced. There is a lot of market economics involved with price points and they are well aware what will or won’t sell; there are also so many lending options for all sorts of credit that even at inflated prices, everyone is set up to make purchases – even if they shouldn’t.)

***I’m in the corner that demand drives most economic decisions – aka capitalism. Until something catastrophic happens to curb demand for vehicles, rvs, homes, and so on – prices are not going to do less than stabilize or increase at a slower rate at best

picklerick
    Central WI

^^^ Yep, more money chasing fewer goods always equals higher prices. ^^^

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Trucks are insane right now. Ended up going midsize anyway but if there wasnt a 20k difference I probably would have landed on a full size. I am surprised they have not discounted more recently. Id imagine dealership lots are feeling the rate increases on their loans they use to purchase inventory. Making it tougher to sit on longer.

CaptainMusky

I actually built up a new tundra hybrid with every option I could ever want and believe this it was over 5k less than my GMC. That never used to be the case.

robby
    Quad Cities

I am not taking sides, but I hear they gave up their pension in 2008 and this is also a demand for the new contract.

MX1825

It’s always a 2 way street. But guys paying 70k for a half ton is why a half ton is 70k
    [/quote]

If the UAW get what they want a half ton will be 80k. Corporations never take less.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So are $15 dollar subs at Subway, $10 lunches at McDonalds, worth the tradeoff of $15 an hour minimum wage in the metro worth it?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

So are $15 dollar subs at Subway, $10 lunches at McDonalds, worth the tradeoff of $15 an hour minimum wage in the metro worth it?

Clearly people seem to think so. I doubt their revenue is down.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The strike is on.

13,000 workers being paid $500 a week from the strike fund.

Be interesting to see who blinks first.

Jason

The land of 100k+ vehical prices is near. If they get their way the government will be happy because it will create higher GDP #’s and more tax revenue which will allow the administration to take a victory lap in the end.
    There are going to be more loosers than winners, kinda like your $13-15 fast food lunch.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Less than 10% of the UAW striking, not much solidarity.

big_g
    Isle, MN

IMHO, with the switch to Electric vehicles… they will be HEAVILY subsidized at the factory level and the dealership level… (this is already happening) so who really will be paying for the increase of the labor costs ??? The buyers to some extent, but mostly the taxpayer.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The land of 100k+ vehical prices is near. If they get their way the government will be happy because it will create higher GDP #’s and more tax revenue which will allow the administration to take a victory lap in the end.
    There are going to be more loosers than winners, kinda like your $13-15 fast food lunch.

x2

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The specific 10% that walked off were chosen by the UAW to ensure that a large number of suppliers and dealers were affected. It has nothing to do with solidarity.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That’s ridiculous. 46% raise? Last I checked if you only work 32 hours, you get paid for 32 hours. Not 40.

thats where your wrong. there are places that offer 32 hour weeks that pay for 40 hours.

as an old retired union thug i can assure you its a go high meet in the middle negotiation ploy for the Union. then the employer lowballs…….and meet in the middle. where or how……..is why they negotiate. i’d bet there are alot of other things on the table that also need to be worked out.

its a reason its called collective bargaining……..in the end BOTH parties agree on the terms and conditions!!!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I am not taking sides, but I hear they gave up their pension in 2008 and this is also a demand for the new contract.

if thats the case and i dont know how UAW’s pension works but if its like the one i’m in once you exit t he pension the pension generally doesnt allow you back!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if thats truly the case there SOL!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They targeted plants for each on the big 3. From what i understand mostly drivetrain producing plants. It won’t take long at all for production to halt.

The question becomes how long does the union and the big 3 allow the other manufactures to steal clients.

If the union dominates this strike they will be after all the non-union shops saying “ see what we can get you.”

Jason

Big 3 owners round table topic today = no better time to outsource more of the manufacturing and move the plants to Mexico.
    That is until someone like the Donald tariffs them to the point that they cry mercy and move their manufacturing back.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The nerve of the UAW to ask for industry crippling wages and benefits. These workers were benefiting bigly from the trickle down maganomics for so many years and now they want more. Unbelievable!

The big losers here will most certainly be the shareholders. I feel so bad for them since they have almost no voice in this. Disgraceful!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The nerve of the UAW to ask for industry crippling wages and benefits. These workers were benefiting bigly from the trickle down maganomics for so many years and now they want more. Unbelievable!

The big losers here will most certainly be the shareholders. I feel so bad for them since they have almost no voice in this. Disgraceful!

doah doah rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol bawling bawling bawling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Big 3 owners round table topic today = no better time to outsource more of the manufacturing and move the plants to Mexico.
    That is until someone like the Donald tariffs them to the point that they cry mercy and move their manufacturing back.

yea i seen that happen. the power pole plant in Hagar city. one particular negotiations they tell us corporate decided there shutting down the Texas plant and moving it across the border.

i asked why if they couldnt get it done in Texas what makes them think it’ll get done in Mexico. next negotiation session they said to serve the Mexican market.

guessing about 6-8 months after they started shipping there junk to the US that Hagar city group was sending out road crews to fix the crap they sent here!!!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Oops fired up the Union guys!

brandyman
    West central MN

They are probably making well over 100k a year for having a high school degree watching a machine all day. Then add the 11% a year.
    Crazy the union has that much of the worker’s cash to pay the strikers! Where did that come from?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well that’s exactly right. Ford made a paltry $23 billion profit last year. General motors had to search the couch cushions in the executive lounge to scrape together a meager $21 billion dollar profit. Stellantis dragged it home to win the chump change boobie prize with a flaccid $17 billion in profits. As any idiot can see the industry is bankrupt.

Union union union. Blah blah blah. It’s always about the Union people and what do they do anyway? Just watch robots build the cars.

And absolutely nobody’s concerned about the real issue. How are shareholders and executives supposed to feed their families?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

rotflol rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.