Scope for turkey hunting

• packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

The question came up at work, can you use a scope for turkey hunting in MN? I know red dots are legal.

deertracker

It only says that red dot scopes are legal. It says nothing about regular scopes. I didn’t see it say anywhere that they’re illegal either though.
    DT

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Yes, that’s the way I read it too.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Can you use a scope for turkey on you shotgun? I do see that red dots are legal, but nothing about a magnified scope.
    This is what I received for a response.

Magnified scopes are not allowed for turkey hunting.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

MNDNR Information Center
    500 Lafayette Rd
    St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
    651-296-6157
    1-888-646-6367

deertracker

It would be nice to find that in the regs someone. I will look it up again tomorrow whem I’m at a computer.
    DT

johnee

The DNR regulations for turkey in MN are poorly written in the EXTREME.

This is the second time in a month that a topic has come up where something is NOT allowed, but the DNR regulations only “say” it by omission. They don’t directly say “No hunter may use magnified optics.” Instead they say you can use red dot scopes and so by inference hunters are supposed to know that you can’t use anything else.

WTH, DNR?

The way another part of the regulations are written, it could easily be read that using a cell phone or GPS while afield is illegal. Since these items are NOT called out specifically as “legal”, there is the implication that they are not allowed.

Very poor job overall.

Grouse

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I don’t understand it either. Magnified scopes are perfectly legal in most states. It’s not like this is a primitive weapon hunt or anything. Scopes lead to clean kills more often then not, and by saying magnified scopes they clear out all options really.

The other one I don’t get is rangfinders for bowhunting. Not legal. Can use them to sight your distances, but you can’t laser a bird.

Joel

johnee

Quote:

I don’t understand it either. Magnified scopes are perfectly legal in most states. It’s not like this is a primitive weapon hunt or anything. Scopes lead to clean kills more often then not, and by saying magnified scopes they clear out all options really.

The other one I don’t get is rangfinders for bowhunting. Not legal. Can use them to sight your distances, but you can’t laser a bird.

Joel

Totally agree and to the point about rangefinders, I would have to question could you be given a ticket if you were found to be in possession of a turkey AND a rangefinder?

Would the presumption be that if you had the rangefinder in your possession while in the field, you could have used it to take the bird? And therefore it’s a violation?

As the MN rules are written, everything that isn’t called out specifically as “allowed” is (presumed to be) illegal. That leaves a heck of a lot of ground when it comes to electronic devices. Since a flashlight is NOT called out in the MN regs as permitted, are you in violation if you use one to find your way to your first stand or use one to find a bird shot at the end of the day?

Very poor effort by the DNR.

Grouse

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Joel

Totally agree and to the point about rangefinders, I would have to question could you be given a ticket if you were found to be in possession of a turkey AND a rangefinder?

Would the presumption be that if you had the rangefinder in your possession while in the field, you could have used it to take the bird? And therefore it’s a violation?

As the MN rules are written, everything that isn’t called out specifically as “allowed” is (presumed to be) illegal. That leaves a heck of a lot of ground when it comes to electronic devices. Since a flashlight is NOT called out in the MN regs as permitted, are you in violation if you use one to find your way to your first stand or use one to find a bird shot at the end of the day?

Very poor effort by the DNR.

Grouse

Not to mention, even if it were spelled out, how to enforce?

Joel

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

This is the response I received after questioning the first answer, looks like scopes are legal.

Mr. Diepenbrock,

I apologize for any confusion we created.

Magnified scopes may be used for turkey hunting. Red dot scopes were prohibited at one time because they are electronic, but they are now legal as well.

Thanks for your question,

Jason

deertracker

Quote:

Can use them to sight your distances, but you can’t laser a bird.

Maybe they are affraid tha laser will give turkeys cancer.
    DT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.