looking for advice on a handgun

• deeplake
    Iron, mn

Favorite girlfriend and i are planning on taking the conceal and carry course, she has a .380 auto, witch is perfect in size, and has plenty of power, however i need a gun, and i would like something a little bigger. Not desert eagle bigger, but something a little more powerful yet compact enough to carry. Favorite girlfriend says i can only spend about 400 . i like the .45 but its probably to big for a conceal and carry weapon. any advice would be appreciated.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

It is not too big, in fact if you like shooting a 45 I would say go with it.
    You have many options for holsters and bags.
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

It is not too big, in fact if you like shooting a 45 I would say go with it.
    You have many options for holsters and bags.
    cheers

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You should look at our shooter’s forum in the seasonal forum group. Many people over there could help you.
    But for now, I can tell you what I carry, and that is a Kahr PM 40. I can carry this gun in a wallet holster, an ankle holster, and a belt. It is so light that it easily concealed, and yet the .40 S&W round lets you know that you have some power hiding in that small frame. For it’s intended use, this gun is hard to beat in my opinion. It is a little higher than the price you listed by about $150 for a new one, but you can get used ones in your $ range. I see you are from Iron MN, but if you converse with the guys from Bill’s Gun Shop in the shooter’s forum, you should get some great guidance.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You should look at our shooter’s forum in the seasonal forum group. Many people over there could help you.
    But for now, I can tell you what I carry, and that is a Kahr PM 40. I can carry this gun in a wallet holster, an ankle holster, and a belt. It is so light that it easily concealed, and yet the .40 S&W round lets you know that you have some power hiding in that small frame. For it’s intended use, this gun is hard to beat in my opinion. It is a little higher than the price you listed by about $150 for a new one, but you can get used ones in your $ range. I see you are from Iron MN, but if you converse with the guys from Bill’s Gun Shop in the shooter’s forum, you should get some great guidance.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

i like the .45 but its probably to big for a conceal and carry weapon. any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Kimber .45 TLE that I carry in a shoulder holster. Very comfortable, and VERY hidable. But it is a big gun! I have a very decisive rational for carrying a CC weapon. If it is small enough that you will carry it every day, you have a winner. If it is too big, and you decide more and more to leave it at home, you will. And you will when you need it most. That is the way it seems to work.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

i like the .45 but its probably to big for a conceal and carry weapon. any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Kimber .45 TLE that I carry in a shoulder holster. Very comfortable, and VERY hidable. But it is a big gun! I have a very decisive rational for carrying a CC weapon. If it is small enough that you will carry it every day, you have a winner. If it is too big, and you decide more and more to leave it at home, you will. And you will when you need it most. That is the way it seems to work.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

I may take alittle heat for this but what I carry is a kel tec p11 in the 9mm cal. small, very light weight, easy to handle and the $ was not to bad either around $220.00
    I’ve ran over 300 rounds though it not a problem. also found a couple of web sites for Kel Tec the people on there are very helpful if any questions or concerns. Good luck; Doug

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

I may take alittle heat for this but what I carry is a kel tec p11 in the 9mm cal. small, very light weight, easy to handle and the $ was not to bad either around $220.00
    I’ve ran over 300 rounds though it not a problem. also found a couple of web sites for Kel Tec the people on there are very helpful if any questions or concerns. Good luck; Doug

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Hi Deeplake,
    I would highly recommend reading “Everything You Need to Know about (legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota”. It is a very eye opening book on the law. It is well written book and will help you with a lot of FAQ. And most of all, it will keep you out of trouble. The authors name is Joel Rosenberg. He is a AACFI and NRA instructor and helped get the conceal and carry through and into the law books. Just my .02

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Hi Deeplake,
    I would highly recommend reading “Everything You Need to Know about (legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota”. It is a very eye opening book on the law. It is well written book and will help you with a lot of FAQ. And most of all, it will keep you out of trouble. The authors name is Joel Rosenberg. He is a AACFI and NRA instructor and helped get the conceal and carry through and into the law books. Just my .02

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Nice little lightweight composite frame. Compact size. Reliable with over 400 rounds and no jams. Priced right.

Also really like the design. No safety. Pull trigger – Bang!

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Nice little lightweight composite frame. Compact size. Reliable with over 400 rounds and no jams. Priced right.

Also really like the design. No safety. Pull trigger – Bang!

-J.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have the S&W SW99 .40. Not too big. Not to small. Very powerful.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You know..the only thing I’ve heard bad about the P11 is it’s trigger pull…but it’s not a target gun…so it’s a non factor in my book.

As far as a .45…if you are going to carry…once in a while decent choice…but packing 24/7…I haven’t found one that’s light enough although Springfield does have a nice one for around $900…so the price tag gets too heavy.

I will recommend the

Kahr PM .40 or 9 (9mm is less expensive for shooting)
    Keltec’s Pm 9
    XD-40 or 9mm in the subcompact
    Glock’s G 26…

For concealablity and weight which are two very important factors…it’s hard to beat the mouse guns Keltecs P3AT and others.

Just remember with the short barrels you won’t be getting “target” gun performace as they are for personal defense which is concidered 21 feet or less.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You know..the only thing I’ve heard bad about the P11 is it’s trigger pull…but it’s not a target gun…so it’s a non factor in my book.

As far as a .45…if you are going to carry…once in a while decent choice…but packing 24/7…I haven’t found one that’s light enough although Springfield does have a nice one for around $900…so the price tag gets too heavy.

I will recommend the

Kahr PM .40 or 9 (9mm is less expensive for shooting)
    Keltec’s Pm 9
    XD-40 or 9mm in the subcompact
    Glock’s G 26…

For concealablity and weight which are two very important factors…it’s hard to beat the mouse guns Keltecs P3AT and others.

Just remember with the short barrels you won’t be getting “target” gun performace as they are for personal defense which is concidered 21 feet or less.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

If you are working on a budget Taurus has alot of handguns out there in the lower price side and carry a lifetime warranty as well. I have a 24/7 which is a bit chunky but I am very comfortable with my everyday carrier the PT-908.. And alot of guys out of my class chose to carry the .45 as stated above there are alot of holsters out there that help in the carry process, heck one guy from my class is carrying a 454 Raging bull 6″ barrel…

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

If you are working on a budget Taurus has alot of handguns out there in the lower price side and carry a lifetime warranty as well. I have a 24/7 which is a bit chunky but I am very comfortable with my everyday carrier the PT-908.. And alot of guys out of my class chose to carry the .45 as stated above there are alot of holsters out there that help in the carry process, heck one guy from my class is carrying a 454 Raging bull 6″ barrel…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I have this in the 9mm. Of the larger framed DAO trigger semis, this one is sweet! It fits me better than a Glock and is very light weight. I have 2 high cap. 17 round mags, and a 10 rounder for the every day carry. That is a LOT of fire power! More than anyone would ever need. Trigger pull is a little long, but it is not a target pistol. Like Jon said about the Keltec (Which is a great choice for the money!)the long trigger pull is your safety. You got some great advice here from a lot of folks. Stop on by the shooters forum!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I have this in the 9mm. Of the larger framed DAO trigger semis, this one is sweet! It fits me better than a Glock and is very light weight. I have 2 high cap. 17 round mags, and a 10 rounder for the every day carry. That is a LOT of fire power! More than anyone would ever need. Trigger pull is a little long, but it is not a target pistol. Like Jon said about the Keltec (Which is a great choice for the money!)the long trigger pull is your safety. You got some great advice here from a lot of folks. Stop on by the shooters forum!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Deep…I’m moving this to the Shooter’s Test Bench Forum.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Deep…I’m moving this to the Shooter’s Test Bench Forum.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Good move. I was letting it ride over on the GD to see if we could attract some new bodies over here…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Good move. I was letting it ride over on the GD to see if we could attract some new bodies over here…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Same here…and I’ll move the pointer to the top tomorrow again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Same here…and I’ll move the pointer to the top tomorrow again.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

im leaning towards the Kel Tec p-11.. thier website says it goes for 315, not bad.. wish i could try it first.. thanks for the help guys.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

im leaning towards the Kel Tec p-11.. thier website says it goes for 315, not bad.. wish i could try it first.. thanks for the help guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Deep…they have a rental at Bill’s if you cant’ hook up with an IDAer that has one.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.