Strikemaster leaking gearbox oil

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Looks like it’s leaking oil right above where the auger bit screws in. Did some research, and it looks like it’s just a brass bushing? I’m hoping someone in town has one so I can fix it in the morning. Don’t want to run it too hard if I’m going to lose the gearbox oil… Anyone done this or had something similar happen? Any surprises when I open the gearbox cover?

Matt Coffey

If I remember correctly there is no oil in the gear box. When I had my 2.5 hp solo apart a couple of falls ago all that was in it was grease. Not sure exactly what would be leaking unless the grease was breaking down and running out. If you have the Honda 4 stroke you could be losing oil from your crank and running into the transmission and leaking out the bottom seal onto the auger shaft.

Bassn Dan

What model is it? Sometimes 2-cycle oil drips from the muffler and that could be what you’re seeing.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

After tearing into it today I figured it out. It’s oil/dirty water coming from the muffler. Laying it in the snow doesn’t help the I cleaned it all up and ran it for 10 mins outside to check on it and it was good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.