swimjig trailers

• dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I’ve been fishing swimjigs pretty religiously for about 5 years now and have used just about every kind of trailer. Has anybody used grubs in the 6 and 7″ range. I see yamamoto baits has them in single and double tail. Just wondering if you think they are too long and would result in short strikes. Also would anybody care to share any little tricks and secrets they have learned over the years. Thanks, Dan

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Dan, I found a few specific lakes in WI that those big trailers do very well in. On a flowage, I fished directly accross a shallow weed flat from a guy who took first. He didn’t catch as many bass, but when he hooked up, they were all 3+ lbs and better. I finished middle of the pack with catching 30 or more to sort my way through an ok sized bag.
    I’m still working on a hook design for swim jigs with huge trailers. I would actually like a swim jig with no weed guard & thin 7/0 hook. The few I have made without the weed guard will still roll or twist. I have had much better luck with a flipp’n jig mold that I modified. Problem there is it grabs & drags more weeds than a bullet nose of a swim jig.

I also was taught to keep a few bottles of super glue in the boat

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

5″ is as big as ive gone….and idk if you’d call this a secret or not but last year i did pretty well with a sizmic toad for a trailer on them…idk if its much different but they seemed to like it

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

3 words… Hey, Hey, Hey…
    Love the Fat Albert grub…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

3 words… Hey, Hey, Hey…
    Love the Fat Albert grub…

Second that!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.