Speaking of retirement…

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Why work like a dog for the best years of your life just so you can pant a few times before you die.

Can’t seem to find the exact quote but Henry david thoreau once said something to that affect. Pretty much sums up your thoughts Mr. Beads

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I always thought that everyone should finish high school, then collage and then retire for 10 years. After that, work until you die to pay off the next generations 10 year retirement.

Too many holes in that plan, but I liked the idea.

I told my Mom that I wouldn’t ever retire because she worked too hard after she did.

Even now, my sense of urgency has taken a hit.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I agree Beads it’s important to make memories, take trips, etc while you’re young. Doubly important if you have kids so they’ll have something to remember you by outside of wiping drool off your chin and changing your diapers.

catmando
    wis

This is from a man I worked and fished with, who died unexpectedly at 49. A man should be retired between 20 and 45, then go to work. I retired as soon as could. DK.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

This is from a man I worked and fished with, who died unexpectedly at 49. A man should be retired between 20 and 45, then go to work. I retired as soon as could. DK.

Good point. My father died at age 58 from an undiagnosed colon cancer and never saw a day of retirement. In those days they weren’t screening like they do now. Anyway I retired in June and turned 60 in September. No regrets!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I agree, it’s not for everyone. And it’s far from youthful bravado. Way too many close people and family members kickin the bucket before retirement or just couple years in.

Like anything there is a balance, the idea of being broke in retirement and leeching off my kids or even worse having them have to take care of me is worth a significant investment from me now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

the idea of being broke in retirement and leeching off my kids or even worse having them have to take care of me

This was the reason that a generation ago, families were so large.
    Well, that and birth control wasn’t invented yet.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Through circumstances beyond my control I chose to become work optional the day after I turned 58 -Jan 1st 2019.

Some advice I got from an older retired guy that really hit home with me while I was trying to decide to retire or not. I mentioned that I was thinking about retiring and all he said was “You can work your life away chasing money but you can’t buy a nickles worth of time”. I knew right then that retirement was the way I was going to go. No regrets indeed !

bigfish2

Been retired for several years. Never bored. During warm weather it is fishing for a couple hours. Then we go somewhere to walk around. Sit in screen house and watch the grass grow. In cold it much same except for watching grass grow then snow drifts. It also helps to have some other hobbies to keep busy. Now when roads/weather is bad, stay home and relax.
    Retiring is great.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“You can work your life away chasing money but you can’t buy a nickles worth of time”.

I haven’t ever met a person that say they wish they wouldn’t of retired.

Although my father in law is still working part time @ 82.
    He’s single now and like having a reason to get out of the house I guess. Puts him in front of other folks.

But even he is slowing down and working less and less.

Deuces

the idea of being broke in retirement and leeching off my kids or even worse having them have to take care of me

Our family doesn’t think our elders leech off anyone. We are thankful for the life they gave us and are eager to help them in old age.

But yes, a minimum income is essential to not burden them financially. That don’t take too much.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Both of us are retired and we both have hobbies that keep us pretty active. One thing both of us have come to realize is that no matter how well you’ve taken care of yourself, after 60 things don’t play fair. Now if I was 20 and starting out in adult life KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, 20% would go to savings. Alcohol would be a very much control thing – never more than a couple beers and then maybe only once a month. Caffiene would be none existent in my diet. Any form of tobacco use would not exist.

When I was 20, nobody knew what alcohol, tobacco and caffeine would do to the body. Today I am paying dearly for it. I take four pills daily to help maintain my afib. I use three inhalers just so I can “sort of” breathe.

The only one I can blame for what plagues me today is me. So if you’re 20, or 30, or 40, or whatever age, quit while you’re ahead is the best advice I can give because down the road, when health issues start cropping up, all that money you’ve saved will be shared with the medical community along with vacations or cabins or…………….then you’ll find out how little you really have. And don’t think health insurance is going to be the saving grace.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

There’s nothing wrong with working past your “normal” retirement age. Some people are happy going the route. My one grandmother worked into her mid 80s. More power to them I say.

Re: Slowing down. I can’t do the things I used to do as well as I used to and I’m only 59. It’s not an excuse just years and years of wear and tear catching up to me. I still do most of the same things I used to. I just do them a little slower and with a little more forethought. LOL

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

For me, it’s a tough decision to make. Full retirement age and enough funds to go, but really am struggling with envisioning what the future holds for me.

50% of time I can account for:
    Aging parents to care for, 5 granddaughters, do some volunteering at Urban Boatbuilders and other nonprofits, boating/gardening in the summer, woodworking projects, house improvements, etc., a few trips planned.

50% – Unaccounted for. Also, most of the friends I hang with are coworkers, so it will involve building new relationships for BWCA, fishing, hunting, golf, etc.

Maybe I’m looking for a “goal” or “purpose” in my future years…haven’t figured out what that looks like.

Pete

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

trophy19
    You hit the nail squarely on the head with me. That last 50% scares the Sh!$ out of me.
    I saw my Dad leave the Family biz (i didn’t work there) Actually my sib’s told him to leave and not hang around anymore but that’s a whole nother story.
    He went home, sat on the couch and died a year later because he had nothing to do.

I loved my Dad but the one thing he would always say that drove me nuts was “some day I going to…….”
    I would always ask him “when is that some day?”

I don’t want to ever want to say “someday”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

trophy19
    You hit the nail squarely on the head with me. That last 50% scares the Sh!$ out of me.
    I saw my Dad leave the Family biz (i didn’t work there) Actually my sib’s told him to leave and not hang around anymore but that’s a whole nother story.
    He went home, sat on the couch and died a year later because he had nothing to do.

I loved my Dad but the one thing he would always say that drove me nuts was “some day I going to…….”

well, SOMEDAY, i’m gonna actually hook up with you fer that beer at the village!!!!!! devil waytogo

Jason

Well, Im 44 and we are sitting pretty good for our age…
    But – part of me wants to keep saving the max allowable every year and part of me is scared shitless as to what the USA will look like in 15-20 years. I’m starting to think that being a millionaire will only allow the liberals to somehow figure out a way to take it away and dispense it to the people that are not as fortunate…
    Maybe it doesn’t pay to have a bunch of $ waiting for retirement??

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Both of us are retired and we both have hobbies that keep us pretty active. One thing both of us have come to realize is that no matter how well you’ve taken care of yourself, after 60 things don’t play fair. Now if I was 20 and starting out in adult life KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, 20% would go to savings. Alcohol would be a very much control thing – never more than a couple beers and then maybe only once a month. Caffiene would be none existent in my diet. Any form of tobacco use would not exist.

When I was 20, nobody knew what alcohol, tobacco and caffeine would do to the body. Today I am paying dearly for it. I take four pills daily to help maintain my afib. I use three inhalers just so I can “sort of” breathe.

The only one I can blame for what plagues me today is me. So if you’re 20, or 30, or 40, or whatever age, quit while you’re ahead is the best advice I can give because down the road, when health issues start cropping up, all that money you’ve saved will be shared with the medical community along with vacations or cabins or…………….then you’ll find out how little you really have. And don’t think health insurance is going to be the saving grace.

And That’s the Truth!!
    when we hit 60 we put Dr. and pharmacy on speed dial. LOL

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

This was the reason that a generation ago, families were so large.
    Well, that and birth control wasn’t invented yet.

That and a cold house in the winter with two small of a wood stove!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Through circumstances beyond my control I chose to become work optional the day after I turned 58 -Jan 1st 2019.

Some advice I got from an older retired guy that really hit home with me while I was trying to decide to retire or not. I mentioned that I was thinking about retiring and all he said was “You can work your life away chasing money but you can’t buy a nickles worth of time”. I knew right then that retirement was the way I was going to go. No regrets indeed !

I have reserved comment on this thread, choosing to lay back and observe all the other’s comment.

Much of what was advised or suggested, I already knew. But knowing about something and having the ability or means to do it at any given point in your life varies as such as who’s our favorite music group, or do you like steak or chili dogs…and what gives you the most reward for “that moment” whether today or tomorrow?

I latched on to your comment GEEMAN because I’m now at the same situation. I had 62 marked on the calendar however, “Through circumstances beyond my control I chose to become work optional” this coming May.

I have no grand plans to travel around the world, or for now even to “snowbird”, I’ll want to live a humble life and be thankful for my blessings.

I’ll have 8 grandchildren this coming May (#8 is expected in May) and I believe we are more important to each other than me continuing to work or to fly away to another “escape” crazy

This says everything I already knew, but thanks for the reminder…
    “You can work your life away chasing money but you can’t buy a nickles worth of time”.

These times are priceless…

Attachments:
    1. cj5.jpg

Iowaboy1

I will never live long enough to retire and honestly I think if I did I would die soon after,why??
    all I know is work,been working for someone somewhere since I was nine years old,on the farm,for neighbors,employers,etc.
    now for the third time in my life I am self employed and loving every minute of it.

I get one week a year to go on vacation,sadly that isnt enough time off but I have had enough time off when I was housebound for three years thanks to a chemical poisoning that nearly took my life,no hunting,no fishing,no nothing,just existed and was fed through an IV in my arm twice a week for over a year the last year of it.

at my age,I should be with the rest of you looking to retire soon,not going to happen unless I win the lottery but you know what?? I would still be looking for something to do as my mind cannot sit idle for too long and I become a caged lion,hell man,I cannot sit still even on vacation,ask Denny O about it lol.
    about drove him and his buddy Bob nuts when I got bored with a card game and went back outside just to see where the moon was at that time of night.

bigfish2

Sitting hear and reading about all the different plans has made me realize a few things. First was that 15+ years ago I planned on retiring at 62. At 61 the company said two things. They will no longer have company pension plan and second also no longer offer insurance to retirees. This meant that I would now have to work longer and start stuffing a 401. Was planning on company pension but that hit cost a big hit. What I have learned is that I should have had 401 of my own started at a early age. Also that plans change and you will have to adjust them. Still I am enjoying retirement and able to do most things that we want to. Fish are still be caught.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    trophy19

well, SOMEDAY, i’m gonna actually hook up with you fer that beer at the village!!!!!! devil waytogo

I was there a bit too long yesterday. doah

sji

If you are working to survive I can understand jumping ship when you can. I love what I do. Almost everyday is actually fun. My dad is 88 and still farming. There are repairs and such he can no longer do but that’s why he had me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well, Im 44 and we are sitting pretty good for our age…
    But – part of me wants to keep saving the max allowable every year and part of me is scared shitless as to what the USA will look like in 15-20 years. I’m starting to think that being a millionaire will only allow the liberals to somehow figure out a way to take it away and dispense it to the people that are not as fortunate…
    Maybe it doesn’t pay to have a bunch of $ waiting for retirement??

When I was in grade school back in the 60’s they taught us how to hide under our desk and cover our heads. From the Russian nuke that was sure to get us.

When I was in high school in the early 70’s they told us social security would be broke by the time we retire and there would be no money for us.

In the late 1990’s they told us computers would cease to work and the power grid would collapse when the year 2000 hit.

Whoever “they” are have been wrong more then right. Live YOUR life and take care of yourself so you never have to worry about “them” or “they”.

Be accountable for you and yours.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

LOL, I remember all that stuff,
    And we were told another Ice Age was coming. whistling

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Also, that we could be president! They forgot to mention you needed to be a multi, multi millionaire and had to sell your soul. devil

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Also, that we could be president! They forgot to mention you needed to be a multi, multi millionaire and had to sell your soul. devil

The good Old Nuke Drill crazy
    And Know where local Fallout shelters are roll

Teachers advice –
    Be a Doctor a Lawyer or a Plumber.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

trophy19

I was there a bit too long yesterday. doah

oh oh!!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.