MX1825 w 9.9 kicker trolling speed

• wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

What is every ones trolling speed at closed throttle on their 9.9 yammi’s?

I have had carb issues on my kicker since my first time on the water this spring (March) After several service trips I am still having issues but not as bad as it used to be. My slowest trolling speed I can get with no troubles is 2.4. I have to deploy front trolling motor and leave the big motor in gear ( to cause propeller drag instead of spinning freely) and I can get it down to 2.2-2.3.

I am looking for what everyone else is seeing with speeds so I can try and communicate this to the shop. I got the feeling on the last trip in there that they felt that just turning the idle screw in to keep the rpm’s higher at closed throttle was an acceptable solution.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You should be able to troll down sub-1.5 mph with that set-up. Not that you don’t already know this but 2.4 is far too fast.

Was your kicker stumbling, dying out at low RPMs before they turned up your idle? How was it acting before they started messing with it? The way you’re sitting right now it sounds like they’ve got you’re running about half throttle.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Do you have a troll master? Have seen wrong installs with them before….

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

no troll master. its on the to-do’s but need to get the carb thing worked out before I install that.

Initial was that I could only keep it running at half throttle or more. my initial assessment was that the needle and pilot jet was clogged so took it in for carb work.

when I got it back it would stay running at idle (which was pretty high RPM’s in itself) or at half throttle. I adjusted the idle screw to get the idle RPM’s lower and then the kicker stayed running at idle but when trying to slowly increase throttle from idle it would die. So I took it back in to the shop. They did another adjustment which I presume to be the pilot screw being adjusted and now I can barley keep it running at idle or at that 2.4 mph mark but nothing in between without having to constantly play with the throttle. I can run it for a short period of time at 2, but within about 30 seconds it will start to die so I have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. Occasionally when it starts to die it will rev up by itself. (float bowl needs adjustment??)

I did play around with the pilot screw this past weekend and it was better, but still far from what I expected.

Probably going to take it into a place up by Mill lacs this coming weekend.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Initial was that I could only keep it running at half throttle or more.

I’d bet a six pack you have a plugged low speed jet in your carb. Your current mechanic simply cranked up the idle to basically bypass the plugged low speed jet which feeds fuel at low RPMs. Thankfully this is an easy and cheap fix for any mechanic and is straight forward enough that you can do it yourself it you’re mechanically inclined.

You will have to remove the carb (it isn’t as hard as it sounds). A single wire from a wire brush fits down the throat of the low speed jet and is often all that is needed to dislodge the offending bit of dirt/crud.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I pretty sure I get down to 1.2 mph with my 9.9 on my MX 1825. I am heading out fishing today so I will let you know for sure. 2.4 is obviously not right.

Sean Reames

Wes we would be happy to make some arrangements to get the boat to us so we can fix it right for you. Feel free to give us a call 715-833-0060 ask for Sean or Brent

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

My new one will troll down to 1.0 mph. My last one had issues staying running when cold start up or idling after it was warmed up.
    Don’t ask me why I had to get a new one. The other one was only a year old.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

My new one will troll down to 1.0 mph. My last one had issues staying running when cold start up or idling after it was warmed up.

I never knew you could fix a kicker that way.

I saw your old one at SBC last week. If you’re going to come up with a reason to get a new one there’s no point in messing around. Break it good!

gwood
    Murica

If you think it is starved for fuel, have you checked the fuel outlet in the stern?

I spent yesterday siphoning the fuel out of my MX1825. Using the “the kicker” fuel outlet and that thing was so loose i kept losing suction. Fuel all in the bilge etc. Had to take it all apart and redo it.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

After fishing tonight I can get tolled down to .8 to 1.0mph. This is with a tollmaster, but I would assume idle would still be the same.

fishin
    Blaine, MN

I have a WX1880 and can get down to about 1.4.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I never knew you could fix a kicker that way.

I saw your old one at SBC last week. If you’re going to come up with a reason to get a new one there’s no point in messing around. Break it good!

If your going to screw up you just as well screw up BIG time.
    The boys at SBC said you were going to be picking up your boat that day. I was there till about 3:15. Was hoping to say Howdy.
    It took the insurance guy till about 2:15 to decide to total it.
    The silver lining in this is that the new one runs & idles much better.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

[

That sound about right… if he took his first looked at it at 2:14…. lol

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Quote:

Quote:

[

That sound about right… if he took his first looked at it at 2:14…. lol

He got his first look about 10:35.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Thanks Sean,

Once again SBC to the rescue and going above and beyond.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks Sean,

Once again SBC to the rescue and going above and beyond.

We are all very fortunate to have the guys from SBC hanging out here answering questions and getting many of us back on the water quickly after little issues pop up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.