Skeeter MX 1825 Owners

• arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Skeeter MX 1825 Owners

How do you like your boats? How do they do on the bigger water, like Lake of the Woods, Green Bay, or Mille Lacs? Would you buy again or go a different direction?

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I had one. Nice quick boat with a good fishing layout with spots for all of your gear. However, I traded up before the summer was done. I thought the handling was a bit too sporty and nervous for a 60s year old guy. I’d go up to the 20′ models,…much more room and handles well to anything. Used ones are a good value. Bunk trailers on all of them are great to load but require a fair amount of depth to launch. Don’t expect to get into little panfish lakes with them.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I’ve had an MX1825, an MX2025, and now a WX2060. The MX models are really great to fish out of, but I ended up first going to a larger MX, then to a WX because I’m fishing more big water than I thought I would. I’ve only had the WX for a month or so, but so far extremely pleased with the ride in big waves, and it fishes very close to the same as my MX with the exception of the front deck being higher off the water making shoreline casting more difficult. My advice for what it’s worth would be to get a WX if you fish more than a few times a year on big water, and an MX if you fish only a time or two a year on big water.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the replies. I agree the 20’ models would be the ones to have. I was just curious if a more budget friendly 18’ model would do the job. I have a friend that has a WX2060. I have fished with him a few times and really enjoy fishing in his boat.

In June I went out on Lake of the Woods with Jason Groll in his Lund Tyee 186 GL, I was impressed with how it handled for a 18’6” boat.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I had an MX 1825 for five years 200 hpdi/kicker.

I loved the boat. Initially I primarily fished the river with occasional trips to Mille/big waters. That boat on the river was amazing. Big water it was good, just had to slow down (Right Dean!! :))

If you were going to use the mx 1825 on the big waters a couple trips a year it does fine. If you primarily fish the big waters, a WX would fit your needs much better.

I now run a WX2060 as I split time between the river and spend most of the summer on Mille Lacs.

For more budget friendly a wx1910 might fit the bill?

JoeMX1825
    MN

love my 2013 model, I switched out of a ZX225 and into the MX series and will never look back…speed isn’t a big deal for me anymore, comfort and kids rule my world now, MX1825 solves all of my needs…love the storage…if I ever do upgrade it will likely be to a MX2025/2040 for the added rear casting deck insert…

if buying used, my advice would be to avoid the 2012 model year, being a 1st year design, Skeeter fixed several issues for the 2013 model year and then haven’t changed much if anything since…

?????

I like mine. Ran a 20′ WX2000T for many years and actually traded down to the MX 1825. I fish Leech, Winnie some but mostly smaller lakes like Cass and where I live. No it is not a 20′ Glass boat and does not handle the big lake like the WX2000T did however it works fine for me. I do not go out in 4′ waves no fun in any boat but if we have to cross some open water with big waves it works fine but does ride a bit rougher than the WX series as it is wider. Like I said I love the boat I fish walleye, bas and muskies with no issues what so ever.
    Good luck on your decision.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

love my 2013 model, I switched out of a ZX225 and into the MX series and will never look back…speed isn’t a big deal for me anymore, comfort and kids rule my world now, MX1825 solves all of my needs…love the storage…if I ever do upgrade it will likely be to a MX2025/2040 for the added rear casting deck insert…

if buying used, my advice would be to avoid the 2012 model year, being a 1st year design, Skeeter fixed several issues for the 2013 model year and then haven’t changed much if anything since…

Skeeter fixed many what I would call cosmetic issues with the boat. They didn’t change the hull design. The 2012 hull is the same as all the rest.

Musky Ed

While I have a MX 2040 and love it, I also would recommend a WX1910, if looking for something smaller than the 20 footers, if you have the garage space. You get a lot of boat for the buck there. Not sure what the price is on an MX 1825, but I know a 1910 with a kicker, is a great package for the money. I’ve had my 2040 out trolling in Lake Michigan in 5 footers, with a strong north wind and it pushed it’s limits, but I still felt safe. Not sure if I would have in the 18′ MX, but I for sure would have felt safe in the WX1910. What ever way you decide to go, there are many favorable comments on both boats. One thing to keep in mind, is there has been comments of owners with MX 1825’s trading up to larger boats, but not so much of 1910 owners trading up.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Skeeter fixed many what I would call cosmetic issues with the boat. They didn’t change the hull design. The 2012 hull is the same as all the rest.

Correct, I should have been more specific…

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the replies. Some good points brought up to add to the things to consider when trying to make a decision. Lots of options to pick from.

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

I went from a 2009 WX 2000T into a 2018 WX 1910. I fish 50% bass and 50% big water walleye. I needed the big water capability and the price was right. I have about 50 hrs on the 1910 so far and have been very impressed with the boat in every way. The 1910 is just solid. I am really impressed by the quality of build in the boat…from the floors, to the seats, to the consoles, to the livewell, to the lids and latches. Skeeter has really built a winner in the 1910, it’s a beast. The performance is awesome as well. The WX 2000T was an awesome hull, just awesome, too bad its discontinued. There was some issues with the components though, but that was 10 years ago. One issue was the reched campartment latches, which the MX still utilizes. The MX boats, which are supposed to be more multispecies oriented than the WX boats could use an update in my opinion. The front deck of the 2018 WX 2060 is bigger than the MX 2040…that’s just wrong. The WX is supposed to be the trolling boat and the MX the casting boat. The WX 2060 also has a recessed tray for cable drive TM and front deck rod buckles… those are bass boat features. The MX does not have these features and its billed as the better bass boat of the two. The rear of the MX 2040 with the casting deck extension is a saving grace. They should make the MX cockpit smaller and front deck longer and wider…casting boat first, trolling boat second. The WX is the trolling boat first, casting second. Anyway, the WX 1910 has been a winner for me and I would take a hard look at it if you are considering the 18′ MX and spend time on big water.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I have been looking at buying a boat for the last few years and thought this fall winter the 2012 MX would finally get down into my price range. After reading this post the WX probably would be the best fit, but I am tired of waiting and cannot afford the 2015 WX. So my question is what are the differences between the 2012 and 2013 MX?

Thanks

martyb

There is virtually no difference. The 13 has storage bins in the rear compartments and a couple other minor changes. I had a 12 and it was fine. I wouldn’t discount the performance of a MX1825 with the F150 if you find one (I.e.it is one boat that doesn’t need to have a max hp motor)

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I have been looking at buying a boat for the last few years and thought this fall winter the 2012 MX would finally get down into my price range. After reading this post the WX probably would be the best fit, but I am tired of waiting and cannot afford the 2015 WX. So my question is what are the differences between the 2012 and 2013 MX?

Thanks

Skeeter changed to a different radio, exchanged some switch locations, storage boxes in rear compartments, different winch and tongue jack. I think in 2015 they put a heavier rated single axle trailer under it.
    For a 18.5 foot boat there are not many better in my opinion.

JoeMX1825
    MN

in 2013 in addition to the other things mentioned, they also added more foam under the livewell doors to stop any leaking, chrome raised lettering vs stickers, changed the seat design, added an external gas tank air vent, they might have changed the cupholders as well (not positive on that one, my 2013 has metal chrome foldable cup holders)

Changes in 2014 include the new beefy Fulton jackstand on the trailer. After that the only meaningful thing added in 2015+ model years that older model owners would want would be the drydock air vent system…

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Budget, expectations and opinions do matter. I would suggest that for years several folks did and still do fish these waters in aluminum hulls. So, if you expect the MX to multi task on big water and small waters alike, a great option as compared to a premium aluminum 18 ft hull.

If expecting it to be equal to a deep v 19 or 20 ft glass boat, you will probably not have your expectations met.

As Mr Ritter indicated, he successfully made the mx1825 work just fine in big water, but didn’t expect premium 20 ft glass performance.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Budget, expectations and opinions do matter. I would suggest that for years several folks did and still do fish these waters in aluminum hulls. So, if you expect the MX to multi task on big water and small waters alike, a great option as compared to a premium aluminum 18 ft hull.

If expecting it to be equal to a deep v 19 or 20 ft glass boat, you will probably not have your expectations met.

As Mr Ritter indicated, he successfully made the mx1825 work just fine in big water, but didn’t expect premium 20 ft glass performance.

If the MX 1825 is your boat and your budget allows, adding a set of trim tabs to it and it will greatly improve the boat in the big water. I was very transom heavy with the 200/kicker/livewell without trim tabs I couldn’t set the bow/boat accordingly.

They were on my list to add, then a beauty of a wx2060 showed up and it fit my fishing/family needs. And I’m loving and enjoying that boat.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

My 2 cents.

Have MX1825 2014 DC with 200 HPDI, T9 kicker with 2015 upgraded trailer.
    Previous boat: Alumacraft Navigator 175CS with 135 Opti, T8 kicker.

1) Figure out what percentage of where you actually fish. Mine is 60% Mississippi, 30% small to medium sized lakes, 10% bigger water (Green Bay,etc).
    – My MX is perfect for this. It was designed by DIEHARD river fishermen, so
    as ole’ Deano stated while fishing with me– “there is not a better boat for
    fishing the river” – and, I agree 100%. If your percentages weigh in
    higher for “bigger water”, go WX.
    2) Is the 150 hp Yami “OK” for this boat.
    My opinion, “yes” since the 150 yami
    is actually rated for 160+ hp combined with the current 4 stroke 200 hp
    offerings being “dead slugs”. When the 200 SHO FINALLY gets a long shaft added
    to it my answer will change 180 degrees. My 200 HPDI is an animal and
    would change anyone’s opinion. For any boat, my overall opinion is “max it out”.
    3) 2015 trailer- better axle
    4) Fishability. This boat has it, perfect balance between being able to
    pitch off the front, AND, off the back. Plenty of room in cockpit for
    rigging or trolling. Being flatter on the water makes it a dream to fish out of
    but is a drawback for big water (conversely,the WX series is more “tippy”).
    5) Storage- like all the new Skeeters, ton of it and well thought out. REACT
    keel has to be fished out of to truly appreciate.

Really can’t go wrong with with MX or WX, just have to find out really what
    type of water you are going to be in majority of the time. I personally know all the “characters” that played a part in the designing of the MX1825 and it is a boat that truly was designed in and out to be the best fishing boat on the river. Many of those innovations carried over into the WX line (well as
    being copied by other boat manufacturers).

Good luck and hope you find the boat that works for you!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

doc,
    That sums it up nicely!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Thanks for everyone’s comments I truly appreciate it. I really like the the MX it appears well thought out and having to pay attention in big waves and not be the smoothest ride when rough really does not seem to be that big a negative compared to what I am gaining. I would like a kicker as I have that now and just seems right to me to have after all these years, so I will research the trim tabs as I really know nothing about them. The WX I would have to get into the 2015 1910 to get all those features of the MX as I understand it and the ones I am finding are simply more than I am willing to spend. I start my fishing on pool 2 and 4, open on leech, this year went to LOW which was a lot of fun and talk of doing it again. Couple of trips to Mille lacs and will start fishing the river again this fall and smaller lakes. The MX will be a huge upgrade. My current boat is aluminum and I think my electronics are worth more than the boat at this point.

Gregk9
    Far Northern IL

Love my 2014 MX 1825! It’s the perfect compromise between a deep V and a bass boat! The 21 inch deep cockpit makes working on muskies over the side of the boat a breeze. Love the stability the boat has. Great storage. Great ride!

Steve Johnson

I just purchased a MX1825 yesterday, it will not see the water until spring, it’s going to be a long winter. Anyway I was just looking for advice on the things you typically don’t figure out right away when buying new toys. Where to store or not store certain items, features you use often or not at all and why. When and in what fashion do you use your kicker? Any comments on the use of the electronics are welcomed as well, It will be equipped with a Helix 10 SI Chirp Mega at the dash and a 9SI at the bow. All other topics are also welcomed as I am just so excited about my new purchase I would love to chat about any topics related to it, thanks all!

Attachments:
    1. Skeeter.jpg

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Congratulations!!! Good looking boat I know you will enjoy.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

toast toast

Congrats!!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I am now proud owner of my own MX-1825 and it will be long winter waiting to be able to get out on pool 4 in the spring.

Attachments:
    1. 00e0e_1Q4jZjZ1Bm7_600x450.jpg

Chad Leton

Congrats to those of you in this thread that pulled the trigger on an 1825! Good luck on the water! Many memories will be made in your new rides!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats SJ & tomr! I think you will love your new rides. Set the hook!

Gregk9
    Far Northern IL

Steve, about the sonars – I have a helix 12 and 10 at the console on my 1825. And a helix 10 at the bow. I wish I would have gotten a 12 for the bow instead. That 12 inch screen is real nice!

HMoshier

Picked up a 2018 MX1825 last week. Lightly used…10 hrs on the Yammie 175. Lots of bells and whistles. Towed it 225 miles home in the snow…great planning on my part. Looking forward to getting it on the water after the floods subside…our lake is 13′ up right now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.