Santa’s Rumor Mill MN Bass Fishing Seasons

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

You ever wonder why Minnesota lakes are bucket listed for nearly every bass fisherman around the world?

I have never wondered that, because I have never heard that before. I know Mille Lacs got a lot of shine from the BASS tourney, but is MN really a bass bucket list destination?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have never wondered that, because I have never heard that before. I know Mille Lacs got a lot of shine from the BASS tourney, but is MN really a bass bucket list destination?

No, I don’t think it is. The only destination that brings in a fair amount of out-of-staters to specifically bass fish is Mille Lacs. Two BASS events and heavy marketing of the world class smallmouth fishing it has brings in some non-resident anglers. I have seen license plates from Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, and Missouri at public accesses in recent years there. Its a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. They spend money here, but the pressure has made the fishing tougher.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah, MN is certainly not a bass destination. Maybe smallmouth with Mille Lacs, but even Mille Lacs is nowhere near the St Lawrence or or Lake St Claire.

Walleye and muskie destination, sure. The only reason people would come to MN is Mille Lacs, or because there are so many different lakes to fish in whatever area you book your trip to. If anything people are leaving MN for destination bass fisheries. Whether it’s TX, FL, or Lake St Claire. Hell one of my buddies just took a 5 hour (estimate) drive to Okoboji and caught an 8.5. Not gonna do that in MN.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

#1 we have been legally opening the Bass season during spawn since a closed season was established. There is no evidence that this has reduced density or recruitment of Lg or Sm Bass.
    #2 With the exception of Muskie’s there is no biological, recruitment or scientific reason not to keep Walleye season open year round.
    #3 the best way to improve Walleye fishing in MN is to increase harvest of small pike.
    #4 Anyone who believes otherwise will be placed on the naughty list
    Santa

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

the best way to improve Walleye fishing in MN is to increase harvest of small pike.

And release the larger ones. Been an ongoing problem for two decades now and really is not getting any better. Snot rocket city, USA

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buzz wrote:</div>
    the best way to improve <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye fishing in MN is to increase harvest of small pike.

And release the larger ones. Been an ongoing problem for two decades now and really is not getting any better. Snot rocket city, USA

Chatter bait theives

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My uncle is a pro bass guy that lives in Texas. Never has he once said ” I wish I could bass fish mn” lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My uncle is a pro bass guy that lives in Texas. Never has he once said ” I wish I could bass fish mn” lol

Exactly. I think we have a case of “Minnesota Bubble Syndrome” going on here.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.