Santa’s Rumor Mill MN Bass Fishing Seasons

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Apparently, the push will be on this year so that in 2024 bass never closes for catch-and-release fishing in MN, and bass season for catch and keep would open along with everything else on the MN Fishing Opener.

Get ‘er done Vern!

3Rivers

Why just Bass, make it that way for all species. I’ve been saying that for 20 years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t see it happening. This has come up a couple times in recent years already and didn’t pass.

3Rivers, I believe the reason against opening up everything for catch n release is they don’t want people specifically targeting walleye, pike, muskie, etc. Could there be some incidental by-catch targeting bass? Sure could. And that’s why I don’t think it will pass.

3Rivers

3Rivers, I believe the reason against opening up everything for catch n release is they don’t want people specifically targeting walleye, pike, muskie, etc. Could there be some incidental by-catch targeting bass? Sure could. And that’s why I don’t think it will pass.

I get that, but why? Why not target all species year round? Seems to work fine in other states. Open fishing 24/7/365 to catch and release and then have specific harvest season windows.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I get that, but why? Why not target all species year round? Seems to work fine

in other states. Open fishing 24/7/365 to catch and release and then have specific harvest season windows.

I don’t have an answer for you on that one. I do know that both Michigan and Wisconsin have specific closed seasons for walleye, pike, and muskies but they both opened up a year round bass season for catch and release in the last decade. So the model is out there for MN to follow, and both Michigan and Wisconsin have similar species and ecosystems to our state.

Generally, MN is late to the game on significant changes like this.

As an avid bass angler, I’m not really sure it would add a whole lot of bass fishing anyways. Maybe a couple weeks depending on how far north we’re talking. Most of our lakes are locked up in ice well in April. Heck, I can remember when you couldn’t legally target a bass until the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im pretty sure they close bass so dock owners get a small time period before people are dinging 1/2 ounce jigs off their pontoons jester

Aboxy17

The thing is you could just be fishing jigs and plastics for “smallmouth” and could be catching 10 walleye for every smallmouth. The same thing happens with crappie fishing already however and you usually end up catching more bass than crappie in the spring fishing in the reeds for crappie.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Im pretty sure they close bass so dock owners get a small time period before people are dinging 1/2 ounce jigs off their pontoons jester

That got a chuckle out of me! jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Prolly to let them spawn without any interuptions.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m going to go ahead and take a wild guess saying this doesn’t happen…in my lifetime.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Never understood why bass had a season anyway. It’s like putting a season on carp… probably just as many carp harvested as bass. Bass population a concern… hardly.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Never understood why bass had a season anyway. It’s like putting a season on carp… probably just as many carp harvested as bass. Bass population a concern… hardly.

I’m a bass die hard and I totally agree with this. It would probably HELP some lake populations of getting rid of some of the loaded 1-2 lb populations. This reg is really not to help bass anyway. It’s a guise to stop people from possibly catching walleye. Let’s be real, that’s the only species the MNDNR give two poops about.

I doubt it will pass this year and not sure it ever will but I’m plenty happy going to WI for the first two months of the season and spending my money supporting a state that makes logical decisions.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but I’m plenty happy going to WI for the first two months of the season

Where are you fishing in mid March? You must have to drive pretty far into southern WI to find a lake with open water. I have to imagine most of the lakes in Western WI still have ice well into April just like we do.

Ripjiggen

Don’t take everything so literal.
    I have plenty of open water fishing pics from March and April. Some years it’s earlier some later. My first out of state trip is usually first weekend in April.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

I’m a bass die hard and I totally agree with this. It would probably HELP some lake populations of getting rid of some of the loaded 1-2 lb populations. This reg is really not to help bass anyway. It’s a guise to stop people from possibly catching walleye. Let’s be real, that’s the only species the MNDNR give two poops about.

I agree that some bass harvest (think 12-14″ fish) would actually benefit some of the smaller lakes in Minnesota.

I also agree that MN mainly cares about the walleye, but solely because that’s the one species that is most targeted and has been decimated in specific events in the past (think URL, whatever is or is not going on in Mille Lacs, the thousands of shacks on the southern part of LOTW keeping dink saugers/walleye, etc). If bass were harvested like walleyes, things would change for them as well. If anything, I think MN will continue to grow as a bass destination and that some of the places that forever have kicked out sure thing limits of walleyes will see a permanent change.

I doubt it will pass this year and not sure it ever will but I’m plenty happy going to WI for the first two months of the season and spending my money supporting a state that makes logical decisions.

BrianF

For some perspective, every bordering state and Canadian province has a year-round catch & release season for bass. Minnesota has to be different. Why??

When I went looking for legislative support for a year round C&R season a few years ago, I was told by a high ranking state politician that the change would never pass as the perception was that anglers would be tempted to target and keep walleyes out of season if allowed to fish for bass. The other argument given to me is that resort owners couldn’t handle the added business from an early C&R season if one was adopted. I was also told a C&R bass season would ruin the MN tradition of “The Opener”.

Obviously, those in power over our state’s natural resources don’t have a high opinion of MN angler ethics, or of the ability for resort owners to run their own business. After all, walleyes outside of regulation size and numbers can be poached by any angler year round, even during the walleye closed season – think panfishers. And, what resort owner would want to have MORE revenue in their pockets to have to deal with? All those pesky bank deposits and taxes to pay. The state’s politicians know what’s best for them. *cough*

The closed season for bass in MN is ridiculous and should be changed…but not likely to happen in my lifetime due to the ‘we’ve always done it this way’ mentality.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For some perspective, every bordering state and Canadian province has a C&R season for bass. Minnesota has to be different. Why??

The other argument given to me is that resort owners couldn’t handle the added business from an early C&R season if one was adopted. I was also told a C&R bass season would ruin the MN tradition of “The Opener”.

Most of them didn’t handle it well when the Bassmaster blew up Mille Lacs and guys were coming up from all over the country. If they could’ve adapted in the slightest they could’ve gotten some relief from being in the worst walleye crisis in recent years when that all boomed.

I do understand why the DNR focuses it’s time on walleye. It’s the money maker. But to be so blatantly obvious that nothing else matters to them is really annoying.

And yes Gim, I have fished OPEN WATER IN WISCONSIN, in my boat, in mid March since they started the C&R season.

Ripjiggen

What resorts didn’t handle it well? Were they turning people away because they had a bass boat?
    Not allowing them to eat at the bar because they had a bass masters hat on?
    Should they have had launches out with live bait and bobbers catching bass?
    Oh wait that wasn’t allowed.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What resorts didn’t handle it well? Were they turning people away because they had a bass boat?
    Not allowing them to eat at the bar because they had a bass masters hat on?
    Should they have had launches out with live bait and bobbers catching bass?
    Oh wait that wasn’t allowed.

They were pretty against all the bass anglers when they started showing up. Saying how it would ruin the lake. They could’ve made some changes to some of their strategies that could’ve helped them a lot in that spot. I’m not saying it would’ve saved some of the places that shut down, but it wasn’t exactly viewed as a positive thing when all those bass boats started showing up.

Ripjiggen

They were huh?
    All the resorts that shut down eh?
    Don’t recall any resorts against any angler showing up.
    What adaptations should have been made? Perhaps a sparkling bass boat parking sign on their property.

Maybe they were not in favor of the lake being closed to another subset of anglers for no reason.
    Or maybe they were not in favor of a few elite bass anglers that didn’t have to follow the rules like every other state angler.

Anywho. Kind of getting off topic.

I see no reason to not have a C&R season for any species really.

Riverrat

Probably an unpopular opinion but maybe fisherman shouldn’t be harassing bass on beds. There are 162 species of fish in MN I’m sure if you really want to fish during closed bass season you can find something in season and ready to bite. If not maybe your not a fisherman, maybe you’re just a basser.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Probably an unpopular opinion but maybe fisherman shouldn’t be harassing bass on beds. There are 162 species of fish in MN I’m sure if you really want to fish during closed bass season you can find something in season and ready to bite.

Having a closed season for bass has nothing to do with when they spawn and/or sit on beds. That occurs far after the season is open in late May and early June.

Riverrat

Smallmouth bass on the Ottertail River spawn about the first or second week of May depending on water temps. Around 5o degrees they start making beds. I’ve watched them chase walleyes off their beds during opener.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Smallmouth bass on the Ottertail River spawn about the first or second week of May depending on water temps. Around 5o degrees they start making beds.

Yes, that’s not out of the realm of possibility since they spawn when the water temp is between 55-65 degrees. That’s when the legal season to specifically target them would already be open though, on the second Saturday in May. So again, they are not spawning when the season is closed.

The closed season from the end of February to the second Saturday in May still has nothing to do with protecting them during their spawning or bed season. Its to protect people from targeting or catching other game fish, primarily walleyes.

Targeting bass on beds is a completely different subject.

Bass Pundit

Probably an unpopular opinion but maybe fisherman shouldn’t be harassing bass on beds. There are 162 species of fish in MN I’m sure if you really want to fish during closed bass season you can find something in season and ready to bite. If not maybe your not a fisherman, maybe you’re just a basser.

To me, it’s not about bed fishing. I am terrible at sight fishing; It isn’t worth my time. It is about the pre-spawn largemouth bite and racking up numbers and size with shallow schooled-up fish. We have had a number of late Spring ice outs in the last 10 years that have put the pre-spawn bite within reach. Fishing in May was excellent last year when the weather lined things up. Most bass fishermen in this state are not chasing smallmouth the majority of the time.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

And it just really doesn’t affect them. Look at all the states that have year round bass season. Bass anglers there LIVE to bedfish many times and they have bass populations that are just as healthy as ours. They literally get caught, released and swim right back to the bed. But again, we’ve deviated from the OP.

I just want it so that we can fish them when the lakes open up. It opens up a whole new way to fish for bass.

Bass Pundit

Santa wasn’t lying when he hinted there would be movement on the issue this year.

wormdunker

You ever wonder why Minnesota lakes are bucket listed for nearly every bass fisherman around the world? Because it is the best in the world, cant get the biggest but can darn sure get the most at high average size.

This Argument is similar in many ways to the Community based Youth Hockey model in Minnesota vs pay to play everywhere else in the world. A small portion of the population that can afford pay to play want the model changed to suit their personal desire to drive little Joey or Susie into the ground with a sport. Meanwhile the rest of the world dreams of having their kid compete in the community model.

It is not broke, just have a little patience or go throw a beetle spin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Why just Bass, make it that way for all species. I’ve been saying that for 20 years.

Someone is going to the walleye stockade.

Attachments:
    1. walleye-stockade.gif

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.