Lake trout or Splake??

• iceman35
    upstate New York

I had 5 days off last week,(not my choice) got 2 days fishing in between Volleyball games. highlight was this trout, out of west canada lake. I tried for years… this one hit a rattletrap on a rocky point. Laker or Splake?? Fish was very dark brown. This lake probably seen all sorts of stocking over the years. Old Adirondack lake. Noboby fishes this lake in the fall, next year I’m gonna try more!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t think Splake get overly huge so I’ll take a shot at it being a Splake because of the spots and the predominate white and red leading edges of the fins. Redfin lakers can have the same bright fin colors in the fall, but I haven’t seen any with that much white. Nice fish.

finman

To me it looks like a laker- it may be the pic, or angle, but the fish looks to have the deeper forked tail of a laker. Splake have more of a brookie tail, by no means an expert on splake tho- nice fish by the way!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What I am looking at is the color, Lakers are more silver. However Im not too framiliar with colors during their spawning.

Lakers have “wormlike” markings, Splake have more dots.

Tail on lakers is a bit more forked, Splake not quite as much. Yours does have a more forked tail than normal Splake.

I still stick to my Splake ID, but the wife says Im wrong all the time…

None the less a great looking fish, If the season in your area was open I hope you got to taste the lil’ fella. -Mark Splake vs Laker vs Brookie ID

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

What I am looking at is the color, Lakers are more silver. However Im not too framiliar with colors during their spawning.

Lakers have “wormlike” markings, Splake have more dots.

Tail on lakers is a bit more forked, Splake not quite as much. Yours does have a more forked tail than normal Splake.

I still stick to my Splake ID, but the wife says Im wrong all the time…

None the less a great looking fish, If the season in your area was open I hope you got to taste the lil’ fella. -Mark Splake vs Laker vs Brookie ID

Bruzek beat me to it. Take note of the fins on your fish.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Lake Trout id be willing to bet. Those fish up north are very dark at times just like the one you have there. Nice fish either way!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Lake Trout id be willing to bet. Those fish up north are very dark at times just like the one you have there. Nice fish either way!!

Definately a Lake Trout…One of the Splake features is a “square” tail.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I don’t think Splake get overly huge so I’ll take a shot at it being a Splake because of the spots and the predominate white and red leading edges of the fins. Redfin lakers can have the same bright fin colors in the fall, but I haven’t seen any with that much white. Nice fish.

Tom, the Splake in my neck of the woods can reach 12-15 lbs…but it takes 20 years.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Looks like a dark hen lake trout to me. I could be wrong to?? hmm.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

All my moneyis on lake trout. I would even guess male.

If that thing was even closely related to a brookie, it would have a hooked jaw and a hump back. Too much of a forked tail as well.

Although, I have only caught 1 small splake.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Splake/Laker/Brookie ID

If I had to guess I would go Lake Trout as well based on the forked tail, but the link isn’t too bad from the WI DNR.

Mark

iceman35
    upstate New York

Thanks for the info guys. fish was released quickly cause boat was heading for rocks! caught a few lakers in the past, this fish was a dark brown. not very laker like. I’m gonna add too that this lake was a very dark brown clear mountain lake. Small vacation lake here in ny, in the very south adirondacks. Except for ice fishing, nobody targets trout in these lakes. former home of ny state record laker way way back. I marked alot of fish near the bottom in 35-40 feet but couldn’t get them to hit a drop shot. Guess I needed Toms blades!! next Oct I’m gonna head back up after the bugs go away!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.