Giant Snakehead

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I pounded it hard in the morning with no Snakeheads to show for it. I felt like giving up but I persevered and changed locations. I knew there was a scarce few Snakeheads at my 2nd venue so I threw out a 10″ Walking Catfish for bait down from a float and after about 2 hours of fishing my Calcutta went screaming. I love that sound it makes. I set the hook into this 9.5 lb. beast. A new pb! I was so excited.

hags54701
    Eau Claire, WI

Why do they call them snakeheads?

Great fish! Congrats on the PB!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Congrats on another beautiful PB

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Congrats on the new pb. Amazing how they resemble the American bowfin.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Sweet fish, Congrats!

hgsivu
    Mesa AZ

Awesome looking Fish!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

That second shot really shows off the size (and power) of that fish. They’re like really big, really smart Bowfin with a serious attitude.

Did it sit there snapping at you like it recognized you as the threat and wanted to bite you for it?

We should have an Exotics species forum here… this fish doesn’t belong in the rough fish forum!

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

i was watching the show river monsters the other night and they were fishing for them. they sound very aggresive and like a big problem

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

i was watching the show river monsters the other night and they were fishing for them. they sound very aggresive and like a big problem

In their native waters they are not a problem. In fact they are an awesome beast and can be compared to the musky in the 10,000 casts per fish category. Unfortunately, their numbers have dropped really low because of lack of conservation here. Don’t believe all the media hype that villifies these cool fish. What is really sad is that the Bullseye Snakehead is more common in the canals of Florida than here in its native territory.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

In their native waters they are not a problem. In fact they are an awesome beast and can be compared to the musky in the 10,000 casts per fish category. Unfortunately, their numbers have dropped really low because of lack of conservation here. Don’t believe all the media hype that villifies these cool fish. What is really sad is that the Bullseye Snakehead is more common in the canals of Florida than here in its native territory.

Unfortunately that is not a good thing.

red89
    Hudson

I think they are more considered “dinner” there, than a sport fish. I hope they don’t spread too much in the U.S. Those canals in florida really show how they are capable of taking over. The river monsters show was pretty cool. Actually every episode of that show is awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.