Rock River/SE WI Ice Fishing GTG

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Bob, my number hasn’t changed. Checked and I still have yours on my new phone too. I sent everyone on this thread my phone number in a PM. My head count is 12 people so far. Reply with food and beverages you are planning on bringing and we’ll compile the goodie list. I believe Al is bringing brats, dogs and a small grill. Kelly also mentioned a grill. Al, anything else? Do you have buns and condiments?

Pablito
    Janesville, Wi.

I am planning on joining Broadway Bob and will likely bring Ron, another fishing buddy. Did not fish the RocK River League last summer, so it will be good to catch up. Any chance anyone has heard if J. Mills is joining the GTG.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

I was planning on bringing them but if someone else wants to that’s fine also. Was planning on boiling up a couple dozen brats and bringing a big family pack of hotdogs too.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Got your PM with phone #

Maybe should put a post in Ice fishing or General forum..
    Might get couple more

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Wow guys sounds like you will have a good group. Wish I could get away.

Have fun.

D

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Ill bring some venison stick/sausage too. along with a grill,anything else let me know

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Quote:

Maybe should put a post in Ice fishing or General forum..

Might get couple more

Done. It’s on the ice fishing forum. Anyone bringing food, beverages, snacks etc please chime in so we cover all needs.

Al, I can bring 4 dozen buns, ketchup and mustard.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

WeFish, where you at? Are you coming along?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Have fun.

D

The wife just planned the anniversary dinner.

Diesel…think this through…..you could plan an anniversary BRUNCH I’m sure we could keep her entertained by the looks of this group

Seriously, would have liked to met ya. One of these days..

For others, my cell is 262-617-5161. If a couple guys could toss a tow strap in their truck, that would be a good idea. The clubs have been plowing roads but their has been a lot of drifting. For the sake of a GTG, we should keep it simple…but lets be prepared in case.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

That should cover it for buns and condiments, I’ll also bring a few sticks of venison summer sausage. Just picked up an auger extension too, just in case… I’ve had this auger since ’90 and this is the first year that I may need one…
    Randy has a good suggestion on a tow strap, I have logging chains but my tow strap met an untimely demise last fall and I haven’t found a good one really heavy enough for my truck, a diesel SRW F350 4 door, almost 8000# empty.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Have fun.

D

The wife just planned the anniversary dinner.

Diesel…think this through…..you could plan an anniversary BRUNCH I’m sure we could keep her entertained by the looks of this group

Seriously, would have liked to met ya. One of these days..

Same here. Would like to catchup to a bunch of yall. Could have made it work but I am also my son’s Bear Cub Scout den leader and we have a field trip in the morning. Hard to separate the two…hanging out with my son or fishing….

Will be combining the two more this year

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Put me down for a dozen or so Polish Sausages from Fox Bros. Piggly…..better than the real McCoy from chi-town delis.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Update on lake conditions: There’s 22″-28″ of ice across most of the lake. With no significant snow predicted for this week, the clubs should have a nice network of good roads plowed in preparation for the Sturgeon Spearing opener on Saturday. Randy had mentioned fishing in the garlic Island area just north of Oshkosh; the Otter St. Fishing Club has plowed a road north from the Merritt access that goes to the Garlic Island area and circles back next to shore.

With the opener for Sturgeon Spearing, it will be busy at the landing Saturday morning so be patient. Please donate to the club (there will be a box for donations or an attendant selling club memberships for $10 at the first bridge over the heave).

Reports are that fishing has been kind of slow. Assuming that the GTG will be somewhat stationary, some tip-ups along with jigging for perch may not be a bad idea; I run #16 trebles with small emerald shiners, rosies, or small crappie minnows right near the bottom.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Thanks for your input. Looks like the boards are coming along. I’m pretty sure that most if not all of this group will pitch in to support your efforts in making this body of water accessible to all.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It looks like a bitter cold start Saturday, way below my comfort level, but it looks like it should warm up to be one of the better days of the winter – though 15 with 10 mph wind isn’t exactly great. At least we should be able to keep the grills lit. I’m looking forward to some fun, grilled food, and good company. As an added bonus it would sure be nice to catch some fish too – I haven’t felt a tug on my line in at least 3 weeks, it’s been one of those winters Hope to see you all Saturday. Stay safe!

-Gregg

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Can we get a rough head count? So far it looks like Mudshark, Randy, Z-Man, River-Bank, WinnebagoViking, Databoy, broadwaybob, Pablito, and myself have said they’re in. Anybody else interested in joining post up here, just take sure we have enough to eat and a few .

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

What’s the latest plan? Meet at the access and head out as a group? Or share GPS and meet out on the lake? I probably can’t make it ’til mid-morning so if someone would post a description of the group and a location and/or coordinates after you get set up, that would help me find y’all.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

I’ll have my truck, a dark blue 4 door SRW F-350 with a topper, I think Randy has put up a description of his truck too. PM me and we can exchange cell phone #’s then we can get you the co-ordinates of where we are. Really looking forward to getting out

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

What’s the latest plan? Meet at the access and head out as a group? Or share GPS and meet out on the lake? I probably can’t make it ’til mid-morning so if someone would post a description of the group and a location and/or coordinates after you get set up, that would help me find y’all.

I’ve got two friends out today (different areas) that are going to feed info back to me tonight since I couldn’t get out with everything going on. The 2mile bite has been good and another spot much further out has been on fire. We are meeting at the Merrit Ave Access, around 6:30 and heading out by 7. I have a tan GMC with a highliner cap on the back Gamakatsu and Quantum decals on the back. Though, I’m sure the truck will look Salty-white again in the morning.

Give me a call when your heading out towards us 262-617-5161

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’ll follow you out Randy….I should be at the landing around 6:30…I’ll be driving my Suburban -dark blue…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

1st report in from today. The near spot I like to hit gave up a 16 perch, couple white bass, and 5 keeper eyes for 3 guys. Not really a hot bite….. but nice to hear of 14-17″ eyes showing up! Waiting to hear from Mike & the gang (group of 5 guys)

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

I will Be following Al and Greg up, Should be at the access point by 6:30 or so, looking forward to meeting everyone again, and learn a bit about this lake, always wanted to try icing a few here.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Paul and I will be up there near 7:00 but don’t wait for us. I have cell numbers so I’ll catch up to you. White Blazer. I’m bringing O’Brien potatoes to fry. Paul will have sausages. I hope everyone is bringing their own beverages. See you all tomorrow.

castle-rock-clown

Looks like its a go from the girlfriend who will be accompanying me on her first time on the ice let alone fishing. We will be arriving a little later in our red Lamborgini disguised as a black chevy pickup truck. I will call once we hit the ice. I will be representing the Castle Rock / Petenwell sportsman group. so be gentle.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I’m bummed I missed you guys. I headed toward the area Randy described over the phone and got hung up shortly after leaving the main road. I decided I didn’t want to spend the day digging the minivan out, so I found a clear area off the road 50 yards and set up. I was 2.5 miles from Merrit on the road that goes to the south east. Plenty of 6″ perch and, later in the day, 5″ walleyes that were coming in 5′-6′ off the bottom. Had a few really good marks but couldn’t trigger ’em.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

I had to work.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

At least you were making money.

Can’t wait to hear the stories of how the fishing sucked so I can feel better about missing the trip.

Just Kidding!!

Hope there were a few put on the ice and a good time had by all.

Derek

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Can’t wait to hear the stories of how the fishing sucked

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Nice tiger! Any other pics?

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Quote:

Nice tiger! Any other pics?

Well, that was the only keeper caught out of a dozen guys. I tied Al for most fish caught – 2. I got a 6″ perch and a 5″ walleye. Al got 2 7″ perch. That was it! No one else caught a fish. At least I didn’t smell the skunk all the way home. We all had plenty of fun and a nice long lunch break with brats, beer and sausages and shared some good stories of better fishing days. There’s a few of us talking about going to Fox Lake for crappie in a week or two if anyone else is interested in trying again – this time to catch fish. Thanks to everyone that made it or tried. I hope to see you all again soon!

Oh, there were more pics, just not any of fish.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.