Reel suggestions

• Ranger rick

I picked up a couple of legend elite spinning rods 6 -12 lb weight 7 fters what are some of your favorite bang for the buck reels I have always had lower end Shimanos and been very happy with them. But I’m making a upgrade here

Daniel Turner

Upper end Shimmanos. $70 buys a reel that will last for years.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I’ll go contrarian here. My Symetre and up haven’t been nearly as reliable as my Sonoras and Sedonas. I’m a $40-$50 reel guy here on out. I was shocked.

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

I use Stradics and have never had an issue.

ozzyky
    On water

I’ll go contrarian here. My Symetre and up haven’t been nearly as reliable as my Sonoras and Sedonas. I’m a $40-$50 reel guy here on out. I was shocked.

I’d agree with that 100% same exact experience for me as well….weird?

Best $bang, I like Pflueger supreme and supreme xt. Typically they can be had for 40-60% of retail during model switchover. I use them on all my high end rods. I’m ok spending a poop ton on a rod, reels I go cheap. I have some Stradig Mg’s sold cheap when they went to the Ci4, they have been reliable too.

Ranger rick

I see stradics are 179 at fleet farm now.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Presidents are a great value.

Ranger rick

Sahara is not a good reel I see there on sales but reviews are so so

Mr. Derek
    NULL

If you want to stay with Shimano’s lower priced reels the Nasci is a very nice reel. Costs right around $100. Above that I would skip the Saros and look at one of the Stradics.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I use the Pflueger Supreme XT or the first version of the Patriarch on my nicer rods

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Saharas a few years ago had an issue with the bail wire catching the line, but that’s been resolved with the new model (look for the bail wire that splits at the roller). They’re nice reels in my opinion. There’s a lot of value among all the major brands in the approx. $75 price range. I’d recommend spinning the handle on a few at a store and picking the one you like best.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d agree with that 100% same exact experience for me as well….weird?

Same here. My Saharas have sucked too. I’m done with Shimano mid range reels.

I bought a Quantum Smoke Speed Freak and absolutely love it. I think you can get them cheaper than Stradic as well.

Ranger rick

Thanks for the responses also like the smokes and the new revos have sometime to ponder it yet I guess if there is one of those deals that come up may go that way also

THOMAS FLAHERTY

I am also a $50 Dollar reel guy unless it is for big baits (Note: I always use a overpowered real and leave the fight in the rod). When you are throwing Musky lures all day get the best your arm will love you. It also helps you stay consistent and present the lure properly when you are not fighting a underpowered reel.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Check out eBay for the quantum smoke. Best deal you’ll find for a new reel.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Shimano Stradic Ci4 is the best spinning reel I’ve ever owned by far.

milemark_714

Another vote for Quantum reels.Smoke inshore about the same price as Stradic Ci4,but I like the way Quantum reels are easier to clean/fix.Use the smallest series for ice fishing with never an issue.

Quantum does not bend you over for replacement parts like Shimano does.I have owned Stradics since the Aero series came out,and I have seen how they cheapen them up.No more spare spools either.

FryDog62

Presidents are a great value.

They really are. Smooth, durable and light enough. Supremes are good too and a slightly faster retrieve rate is all.

I also have my reels serviced at a shop where parts for Pflueger (actually all Pure Fishing reels) are easy and quick to get. I switched over after waiting 6-9 months for basic parts on my Quantums. Service/parts is an overlooked factor, but important if you plan to keep the reels awhile.

Ty Kennedy

The Quantum Energy reels, while a little bit more pricey than what has been mentioned, are very solid performers.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve been a big fan of Daiwa spinning reels lately, the Daiwa Lexa might be the best feeling spinning reel I’ve used. I’ve only had it for a year and a half or so, so I’m not sure of their longevity though.

I also like that Daiwa makes that ‘in-between’ size that Shimano doesn’t anymore. You can get a 1500, 2000 or 2500 size. Shimano goes straight from 1000 to 2500 now I think. I think 2500s are a bit big for some of my walleye rods, but also think 1000s are a bit small. The 2000 truly the goldie lox of reel sizes.

I also much prefer the bail on the Daiwa’s than Shimano, shimanos always seem bendy and weak.

That said, I have a bunch of Shimano reels that I’m quite happy with.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Shimano symetres, stradics and the Pflueger Presidents in the 1000 to 2500 are all I own for soft water spinning reels. My symetres are all previous models prior to the $100 price tagged ones that are now. Mine are the green case trimmed in gold.

grizzly
    nebraska

I like the lower end shimano they still have a great drag, I also don’t have many issues with them

Ranger rick

Yeah the Lexa is on sale to for 79 bucksight have to sneak to cabelas Saturday

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

if bang for the buck is a concern at all bought a shakespear deceiver a couple years ago been very pleased smooth drag. can’t remember exact cost but don’t believe ive bought a reel over $40 in this lifetime.

maybe off topic but do they still make the reel that had the purple/blue/green kind of tint if anyone knows what im talking about was light weight and a little pricey but looked cool always liked playing around with them at cabelas.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I’ll put a plug in for my favorite, shimano spirex 2500 front drag, pitch cranks and jigs mostly but works great for most techniques, but if vertical jigging,.stradic.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

shimano spirex 500 are the only ones in that line that I have left. The Spirex were the first spinning reels that I owned after moving away from a spincast. The slap (if you did not back up the crank handle in reverse to reset the lock) well, anyway those of you know what I mean that have had them. I lost a way too many hooksets because of the finger trip to flip the bail while being to grab the line for a cast.

Do not misunderstand, I loved them back when I started to get into fishing and had to lay my competition slalom water ski down, it is just I prefer something different now.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I had the same question for spinning reels last year and I have to say that switching from Shimano to pflueger was a great decision. I bought both the president and the higher end model for ($150). I’m a pflueger man for life now. I was really impressed with the president for it’s price range. Here is a link to the forum last year. Hope it helps.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/spinning-reels/

Ranger rick

Just made 200 bucks on the IL lottery guess I’m going shopping

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.