Recommendations for used ATV for kids.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking for recommendations for a USED atv for my kids, ages 9 and 11.

Both of my kids are big and strong for their ages, the oldest one is 11 and is 5’2″ and 110 pounds. The youngest is 9 and is easily 4-6 inches taller than the average kid his age, so I assume he will be the size of his big brother within 2 years as well.

The bottom line is IMO the traditional youth/start 50 and 90 CC machines are going to be too small and I want to minimize the buying/selling cycles. Having looked at 90 CC machines, they are already too small for my oldest son, his knees are touching his chin on these.

I’m thinking something in the 125 to 200 CC range would give the longest service time before the boys outgrow it. They have mini bikes and I let both boys drive the adult ATVs when we are on with them, so I feel with some training and obvious safety precautions they can handle a machine that’s a step above the little youth models.

What brands/models of ATVs should I be looking for in the used category with a budget of 2k or less?

Many thanks.

Grouse

gregory
    Red wing,mn

My sons first one was chineese one from kidsatv.com, worked great for what it was,no reverse was a pain,when he out grew it, “kids” atv his size were expensive so ended up picking up a 1987 honda 125 works great reverse and hitch, and adult can drive early ice fishing, have chains for it.

Coletrain27

Yea they outgrow them so fast. I have a Kawasaki 50cc for my son which is 7 and this will be the last summer until he will be too big for that. So I would recommend getting something a little big for them and train them properly on it also

Jason

We had a 2012 Sportsman 90 that we sold 1 year ago. I picked it up when my boy was 7 and sold it when my daughter was 12 (<100lbs) as she was getting to big for it. She (13) now rides a 450 which is nice since any adult can use it as well.
    I would go after a used bigger machine if your kids are on the bigger side…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Skip the ATV and jump right into dirt bikes.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Get them a sxs.They can grow into it.

Jake
    Brainerd

Get them a sxs.They can grow into it.

Chuck has the right idea. Or a Polaris Ace. Single seat sxs built on sportsman chassis. There are youth models.. Both have roll cages which makes so much more sense from a safety perspective.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Growing up on the farm we started on 500cc machines…. but this day… it’s father’s choice as society isn’t very forgiving of forewheeler accidents.

You know your children better than anyone.

Yeah, I should be paralyzed 10x over from my youth on a wheeler… but that was life for us on the farm. We learned from our mistakes and luckily those mistakes didn’t hurt too badly.

My brother approached me with same question a year ago and I wasn’t going to sway him one way or the other…I love my parents giving me enough rope to hang myself…. but I came pretty close many many times too!

Good luck, teach em young!!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

$2000 isn’t gonna buy a side by side

Nope. And storage space isn’t going to allow a side by side either. Plus, if anybody’s getting a sxs, it’s gonna be yours truly.

So here’s some models I’ve been looking at that are in the right size / CC range:

Cam Am / Bombardier – Rally 200 CC

Yamaha Grizzly 125 – Neat, but unlikely to find one in my price range and very rare in general.

I thought Honda made some small machines like a 200 or 300, but I can’t seem to find which models. Anyone know?

Other recommendations?

Grouse

toddrun

My in-laws started their ATV-ing on a couple of Rally’s. They were great for them, road them a lot. Then they upgraded to a 4×4 ATV, and now own 3 side by sides. The Rally’s are still sitting in the shed, one running and the other I believe needs a timing chain. They could probably be bought for a song and a prayer.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Another vote for the polaris trail blazer or older trail boss very solid, and should be able to pick up for well under 2 grand. And still big enf for adults. As for the older ones don’t spent too much as you can buy a brand new sportsman 450 for under 5 grand in the fall and finance it for around 2.9%

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Honda used to make a Recon i believe that was a 250.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Rally’s are still sitting in the shed, one running…

If they want to sell the running one let me know. Assuming of course it’s within a reasonable driving distance to the twin cities.

Grouse

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

FG I’d look for a Honda Recon. Bought a used one and drove the daylights out of it for 3 years. Only needed to do LOF to it. Traded it in on a Ranchet and got more than I paid for it trading it in. The 4 trax above would be a good unit also. Honda sets the bar on dependability.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This is what I drove my whole childhood. Man you could not kill these things. Seemed like they ran a million miles with no maintenance. Do they make anything simple like this anymore? My kids are about ATV age too so it’d be nice to get something. Last thing I want to buy is another project though.

Attachments:
    1. Suzuki-125.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Joe, it looks to me like the big makers have totally given up on the 125 to 200 CC machines and just let the Chinese makers have at it. If anyone is making a mid-size 125 to 200 machine currently, I haven’t found it.

Really appreciate the recommendations. I’m now focusing on finding a good Recon or a Rally, both seem to have solid reputations and I like the idea that we can use them as utility machines as well as for the kids.

I’m about a year away from selling off my Polaris work machine for a SXS, so then we’d have this machine as the last wheeler in the fleet.

Grouse

toddrun

Grouse,

I can ask, but I know he said if he would sell he wanted them both gone, so I assume it will both or nothing, but I can ask. They are in NW Wisconsin, tough to get to now, but I can trailer them to Twin Cities when allowed.

huntinforfish

I was started on a old Honda something or other. Was a manual without a clutch i believe. Couldnt have been more than a couple hundered CC. Not too big, too fast for a started machine. Bullet proof for abuse from kids. I would recommend something like that. Old Honda Foreman or old Polaris trail boss or something. Even an old sportsman wouldn’t be too bad. Just teach them their limits. Good luck and have fun!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought one of those joe. Fun little machine but mine turned out to need more work than it was worth. Not the machines fault i just had the wrong expectations going into it. Sold it for a loss but sure wish that one would have worked out.

Polaris has a 110. I could have sworn that Yamaha reintroduced a 250 to their lineup recently but i cant seem to find it online now. I had been in the market for a smaller ATV recently and did a bunch of research on them. Ill look back and see what i can come up with.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.