Re-Freezing Fish?

• bassh8er

I took out 2 packs of crappie Friday night for a fish fry yesterday but some of my family bailed at the last minute.

The fish were completely thawed in the fridge; is it alright to re-freeze them for use at a later date? My buddy said they will go bad but I’ve never had this happen before and was looking for some advice.

hawghunter08

I personally wouldn’t do it. Make it all up and share some with someone is what I would do.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If you haven’t already, DO NOT re-freeze that fish. Might as well throw it away now rather than have it take up freezer space only to throw it away later.

Cook it all up now, you can keep it for a couple days still good for fish tacos.

Any and all cooked fish left you can add to clam juice and then re-freeze. This would allow you to salvage it as a wonderful stock for a soup or fish chowder next fall or winter.

B-man

Yep I agree with Andy (never heard of the clam juice thing though)

I always just cook any extras and freeze them.

Great quick meal for the kids on a weekday. We toss them in the oven on a cookie sheet and they gobble them up. Not quite as good as cooked on the spot, but not a waste either.

DTW

I have refrozen fish a lot because the amount of drive time from the Canadian resort I go to. The resort freezes the fish. on the way home they partially thaw enough so I can take the rest of the skin off at home. I then vacuum pack and refreeze. Sometimes the fish are totally thawed due to a relaxed drive home. No problems. Walleye northern and perch.

I bleed my fish so I don’t know if that would make a difference.

I’m interested if others have issues.

Fish To Escape

I wouldn’t, seems like it wouldn’t hold up well

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve done it but it doesn’t taste the best the second time around. If you are going to fry them it’ll be ok but not great. It’s better than throwing them away.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have refrozen fish a lot because the amount of drive time from the Canadian resort I go to. The resort freezes the fish. on the way home they partially thaw enough so I can take the rest of the skin off at home. I then vacuum pack and refreeze. Sometimes the fish are totally thawed due to a relaxed drive home. No problems. Walleye northern and perch.

This is interesting to learn, thankful for some fish related discussion to share now. Maybe it would be okay to re-freeze?

I know ice fishing if we do keep any fish are left on the ice and freeze. Once home we thaw and clean right away or even the next day and then eat within a day or two. Never tried to re-freeze at that point.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Cook it all up now, you can keep it for a couple days still good for fish tacos.

This. I’ll cook fish and eat it for lunch in a taco all week. It’s a quick and simple lunch to make. Heat the fish. Then 10-20 seconds on the soft tacos to soften them and make them more pliable. Then a little Chipotle mayo and you are good. If you have a package of shredded slaw and pickled onions to add, all the better.

bassh8er

Thanks fellas; I already re-froze it so will see what happens. It was 6 fish total and will deep fry and let you know the results.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

When we make the trip to Lake Erie, we bring a chest freezer. Freeze all our fillets, 1 fish to a bag. We divide them up through out the group once we get back. I then thaw them & clean em up (fillet the fat off & zipper them) then re-freeze them. I’ve never had an issue with them going/tasting bad.

They get put in gallon zip-lock with a little water while out there. Then I vacuum seal them once i get them cleaned up. not sure if it matters or not, just how i do it.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve also refroze fish many of times…typically as you’ve explained, through transport issues but I don’t bleed my fish. I’ve also bought fish that was “previously frozen,” as labeled on the package, and then refroze. Tastes just fine.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I then thaw them clean em up (fillet the fat off zipper them) then re-freeze them. I’ve never had an issue with them going/tasting bad.

I’ve also refroze fish many of times…typically as you’ve explained, through transport issues but I don’t bleed my fish. I’ve also bought fish that was “previously frozen,” as labeled on the package, and then refroze. Tastes just fine.

This thread and subsequent comments are a fresh reminder why I continue to follow this forum.

Useful and valuable information that I’d never have thought about.

I had always assumed that frozen fish once thawed would not refreeze well at all and likely render it mushy and next to useless.

Surprising to now learn from those with first hand experience testify that the fish likely will be okay.

Thanks for the input guys. waytogo

drewbop
    Duluth

I have refroze them as well – same issue as the OP said. Take a few bags out day before a big fish fry only to have a few people back out.

I freeze my fillets in a zip bag full of water, so it takes a day to thaw out. If I take out too much, I just put the bag back in the freezer. I haven’t noticed a difference in flavor either.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.