Question for those with lithium batteries and Ultra packs

• crappieguy

are you just using the gator clips and the terminals to charge… or has anyone spliced in a quick charge wire onto the end?

On the fence about which route I want to go

Ice Cap

I purchased the Amped Outdoors lithium and it came with the double spade terminals. Allows you to power the unit and charge the battery at the same time. You can use either spade terminals or gator clips depending on whats on your charger.

crappieguy

Thanks ice cap… im actually contemplating splicing the wires into the vexilar quick connect. The Ultra packs have the terminals on the front that I could hook gators too but curious on other routes

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Guess it depends on what charger you’re using and what kind of connection it has. Since I use a lithium specific charger, the standard Vex quick connect is of no use so out of laziness I just use gator clips. You could do a SAE plug, Anderson powerpole, etc as other options if you wanted fancy.

Loren I Duerr

I cut the rings off the plug that came with my amoed outdoors charger. put wires through hole in base of fl28 so I can plug charger in and when fishing use it to power small 12 v led light. 28 had spare blade connectors in battery compartment.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I talked to the people at Dakota battery about this.they recomended splicing into the wire since thier batteries charged to a higher voltage,the vex charger could be used but wont bring it to a full charge.
    I was going to splice ahead of the vex quick connect plug with solderless connectors and keep the ability to charge with either charger.

Simply putting the battery in the ultra pack and charging using the lithium charger by clipping to the front posts seems simpler. Why modify anything, especially if you want the ability to use either charger? You can clip lights to the posts too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s a tough decision. On one hand it would be great to be able to simply plug in the correct charger. On the other hand, if the wrong charger gets plugged in you damage an expensive battery, at best.

If it were me, I’d clip the vex connector off of the vex and install a different one. That way there’s almost no chance the wrong charger gets plugged in.

Yeah, you know what charger is supposed to be used but that one trip to LOTW and you are 8 beers in and your buddy decides to do you a favor and charge it up with his charger, that’s when problems occur.

A non-lithium charger shouldn’t do any damage, just would charge slowly and not to capacity.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Fishwater,I should have clairified,I would do exactly what you have said,but.I was thinking of buying the double vision pak,and that only has the quick connect,ao that is the route I would have had to take.
    Talking to Dakota lithium,I was told I should have been able to get a day of use with both on,and disnt want to take battery out everynight to charge.
    Decided against the double vision and bought a Marcum 485 instead,now grandkids can watch at thier holes!!Flx 28 at mine,Win Win!!

Loren I Duerr

I went with a seperate plug in for the lithium batt. because the glow ring plugs into the original vex charging plug.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.