problem with new Rapala jigging rap

• Beast

tied it on and missed the hole so it landed on the ice, reeled it up and no treble or front hook, they fell right out of the body!Never seen that ever happen, went to the bait store to buy a replacement, they said a guy brought one in and had just the hooks and no body.if I send it in you think Rapala will replace it?

Peter Volakakis

Doesn’t hurt to try. I’d contact them first though.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Weird. I’ve yanked these out of Mille Lacs rocks in the summer and felt lucky to have not broken the line. They’ve always been super durable.

Shaun A

Call or email and I am sure they will send you a replacement.

curleytail

Strange. I would bet they will replace it. Try giving them a call.

I bought a Buckshot rattle spoon this year that didn’t glow at all. Called Northland and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Great customer service!

Beast

this is what it looks like

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190101_133234881.jpg

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

oh yeah, send them an email with the picture. Or call them up. You should have no problem getting a replacement.

I’m so confused, I don’t see a seam where the shank fell out through the paint? Is that the actual lure parts that broke?

Beast

seam is there, just a poor picture

Ryan Wilson

I’m also really confused. You say the treble and the front hook just fell off but there is nowhere on that body in the picture that shows how that treble went through any part of the body. Also, the “seam” would either be on top of the body or on the side against whatever surface it’s on because there is zero “seam” in the picture.

What confuses me is that the paint that’s left on the front hook matches the breaking point on the front of the jig but the picture doesn’t show the actual fracture. I don’t see how the treble and the front hook came off in one piece.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

With my micron 23.8 digital alpine specometer, there is no way that treble came out that whole. I also did a paint biopsy and the two greens didn’t match!

You guys are funny. He didn’t snap the pic right after it fell.

It’s simple. Things break. Call and see if they’ll replace. I’m sure Rapala will have less questions.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m also really confused. You say the treble and the front hook just fell off but there is nowhere on that body in the picture that shows how that treble went through any part of the body. Also, the “seam” would either be on top of the body or on the side against whatever surface it’s on because there is zero “seam” in the picture.

What confuses me is that the paint that’s left on the front hook matches the breaking point on the front of the jig but the picture doesn’t show the actual fracture. I don’t see how the treble and the front hook came off in one piece.

Rocket science. doah Luckily raplala is pretty easy to work with and you most likely won’t deal with a crowd of these guys.

Troy Crawford

Did rapala end up replacing your raps? I’ve had two do the same on me in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Just being in a case while transporting them ice fishing. Not impressed with the quality of them for the price they charge.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

this is what it looks like

Were you pulling a 1/2 ton pick up out of the ditch with it? doah

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

e breaking point on the front of the jig but the picture doesn’t show the actual fracture.

About 0.070″ to the right of the paint is the broken hook shank.

Hook busted off the nose of the bait and if it was a poor casting then air pocket around the shank allowed the hook keeper to pop right out.

Boom.

Actually this is a scary thought. I snip my front and rear hooks off. I never figured they were attached to the hook keeper. I though it would be attached to the tie. Yikes. Oh well. I paint my own for maybe $2 each. Did 20 Saturday. Hooks usually bend when I snip them so shouldn’t pull out. Haven’t yet. But yours did!!

Ryan Wilson

Or…. maybe I’m trying to figure out how and what happened without accepting a poor quality picture as evidence when the picture doesn’t even show how the lure broke before I spend $6 on a poop lure…….

Any customer service representative that takes that photo as proof should be fired.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

hey guys, maybe some people need to concentrate on fishing or some other hobby a little more. Seems like the more I read on here lately, the more over critical people are becoming. The OP said it broke – period – it broke. Companies with good customer service will make it right and know that a couple bucks to fix an unhappy customer goes a long ways in word of mouth advertising – even when the broken product is in a gray area.
    Hope Rapala took care of ya wave

FBM – scary thoughts aside, did the hook break? James said it fell right out, later said it was just a bad picture not showing the seam (in the lead), nothing about breaking. Troy now has two that did the same… just fell out?

I have 100’s of these things. I’ve lost many tails, but never had any hooks falling off. I have lost a treble hook in a snag, but the eye in the nose-hook straightened there.

I’m only marginally calling BS, I’d love to see better pictures. Definately contact Rapala, I’d hate for my hooks to start falling out…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

said it was just a bad picture not showing the seam (in the lead),

“In the lead” is 100% your assumption.

Read what is wrote, hook appears broken to me.

See the hairline crack in hook in photo.

That makes sense; I wanted to see a line along the rap that pulled through the paintjob and lead.

I see another possible break on the 90degree bend, directly above the treble. Everyone, we are assuming the hook broke! jester

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Wilson wrote:</div>
    e breaking point on the front of the jig but the picture doesn’t show the actual fracture.

About 0.070″ to the right of the paint is the broken hook shank.

Hook busted off the nose of the bait and if it was a poor casting then air pocket around the shank allowed the hook keeper to pop right out.

Boom.

Actually this is a scary thought. I snip my front and rear hooks off. I never figured they were attached to the hook keeper. I though it would be attached to the tie. Yikes. Oh well. I paint my own for maybe $2 each. Did 20 Saturday. Hooks usually bend when I snip them so shouldn’t pull out. Haven’t yet. But yours did!!

Do you mold and make your own jigging raps or do you have a source for blanks?

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Seems like the more I read on here lately, the more over critical people are becoming.

I agree with Randy. I think it is a direct result of cabin fever. Hopefully everyone can get out and fish this weekend. Blow off some steam.

B-man

Nope, it’s obviously a conspiracy.

James Bystrom has been hired by a competitor to single handedly destroy the Jigging Rapala Empire.

Just imagine the potential consequences…..

I see a made for TV movie brewing jester

Troy Crawford

Heres some better pictures

Attachments:
    1. 20190131_093843.jpg

Good picture! It looks like they cast them in two parts? Wtf. Did they change how they make them recently?

Troy Crawford

Ya it’s two parts the back hook is connected to the eyelet and the front hook to the treble hook. And then they press together but dont seem to have anything inside to hold it together other than the paint on the outside of it

Attachments:
    1. 20190131_093950.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

Wow! I’ve punished some jigraps and never seem them do that! Clearly there was a manufacturing issue with yours. Looks like they missed the final bonding process before paint.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Learned something new today. Thanks for the pictures!!!

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Thanks for the link,I’ll have to give it a try.Wish you could just buy the fins,I’ve got a lot of fin less and/or broken fin jigging raps around.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.