Portable Satellite TV

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I am thinking about jumping to this for mostly on the ice, but might be used for summer camping too. Looking at the dish tailgater or something similar. I do currently have dish at home for now. Not sure if I can use my subscription, I know I have to buy at dish and a different box. Does not have to be dish unless it helps because I have them already. Just want to be able to watch football games and some other programs. TIA

P.S. I know I should be out in a portable or hole hoping and I am less of man than some of you. Lol

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

P.S. I know I should be out in a portable or hole hoping and I am less of man than some of you. Lol

Im just glad you already know toast

Ripjiggen

So I am thinking about jumping to this for mostly on the ice, but might be used for summer camping too. Looking at the dish tailgater or something similar. I do currently have dish at home for now. Not sure if I can use my subscription, I know I have to buy at dish and a different box. Does not have to be dish unless it helps because I have them already. Just want to be able to watch football games and some other programs. TIA

Doesn’t dish have an app for your phone? Then mirror that to tv?
    Don’t think I would need any tv in summer but I’m pretty manly. Lol

Nodakk

I had the tailgater dish and WALL·E box once upon a time. Didn’t have dish at home but they let you go month to month on an RV plan. Easy to use. Just point the tailgater handle in the right direction and let the box do it’s thing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, at least you’re out there in true IDO Style in your 42-foot Ice Castle Mega-Mega Xtreame XXL enjoying nature.

You ARE out there in your 42-foot Ice Castle Mega-Mega Xtreame XXL enjoying nature, aren’t you?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

To be honest as I get older not that I’m old. The comfort of the house is hard to leave, I still do a fair amount of hole hoping and shack up in the portable early and late ice.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You ARE out there in your 42-foot Ice Castle Mega-Mega Xtreame XXL enjoying nature, aren’t you?

I have the poor mans version of this Grouse, on my budget I could only justify a modest 8×16 Mille Lacs Hybrid Edition, I’m sorry sir I failed you. frown

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Doesn’t dish have an app for your phone? Then mirror that to tv?
    Don’t think I would need any tv in summer but I’m pretty manly. Lol

I am about as low tech as it gets, but wouldn’t I need solid phone service to pull that off?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I had the tailgater dish and WALL·E box once upon a time. Didn’t have dish at home but they let you go month to month on an RV plan. Easy to use. Just point the tailgater handle in the right direction and let the box do it’s thing.

So you were able to use your normal dish plan to do this or was there an additional charge? If so do you recall the charge.

Ripjiggen

Yes you would. Are you going off grid or Mille Lacs? Just thought it may be a solution for now.

welliou

All you need to do is buy the dish tailgater, then take your dish receiver from home and your good to go.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yes you would. Are you going off grid or Mille Lacs? Just thought it may be a solution for now.

Fish Mille Lacs a fair amount and yes it would work there for the most part. We also hit Red, Winnie and other through the season. Thanks for the idea maybe I will try it out if I can figure out how to hook it to the tv lol.

3Rivers

You might want to research Starlink as well. It’s more $, but crazy fast, easy and convenient.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

All you need to do is buy the dish tailgater, then take your dish receiver from home and your good to go.

That would render the rest of the home with no dish, so not gonna happen, but thanks.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Fish Mille Lacs a fair amount and yes it would work there for the most part. We also hit Red, Winnie and other through the season. Thanks for the idea maybe I will try it out if I can figure out how to hook it to the tv lol.

Depending on you phone and TV. (Smart tv) You could mirror it or do a straight HDMI plug from phone to TV.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have an Iphone and smart tv so, maybe I will try that. Maybe next year I will buy the tailgater and the Walle box

Ripjiggen

These work too for apple if you can’t get it to mirror.

Ripjiggen

No problem worth a shot in the short term anyway. They sell those adapters at Target as well.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

so JOHN……..if you fished in a place that had fish……..you wouldnt have time to watch TV!!!!!! waytogo devil wave whistling coffee

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nodakk wrote:</div>

So you were able to use your normal dish plan to do this or was there an additional charge? If so do you recall the charge.

It was an additional charge but you can cancel anytime. I don’t remember the charge but it wasn’t outrageous otherwise I wouldn’t of paid it lol

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    These work too for apple if you can’t get it to mirror.

That’s what I use sometimes also as long as there is good enough cell service. We have Hulu live and Netflix and can play both of them on my phone to the tv. My advice is get the actual apple brand one and not a cheap knockoff one. I know some people that bought the cheaper ones and they didn’t last long for some reason

blackbay
    mn

Your mileage may vary but we have a Dish Playmaker that goes between our cabin and deer shack. It’s a piece of junk that barely picks up much other than the local channels.

MX1825

Here is the REAL question, how BIG is the TV? 65, 70, 75, or 85 inch? whistling

gregory
    Red wing,mn

So I have pretty much what your talking about on my shack now, I have a dish tailgater roof mounted, once I start generator and power up shack it will automatically find signal and load channels, last year I paid for dish, it was kinda expensive for what you get. But if your somewhere where you don’t have good antenna signal or cell service it was really nice to have. This year I have phone hotspot and bring my Roku along and just stream.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Here is the REAL question, how BIG is the TV? 65, 70, 75, or 85 inch? whistling

The spot for the tv is above the stove and will only allow a 43 inch. So small in todays standard but would not want too much bigger even if I had the space.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

so JOHN……..if you fished in a place that had fish……..you wouldnt have time to watch TV!!!!!!

Your right Glenn can I come up and fish with you instead? moon

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I have pretty much what your talking about on my shack now, I have a dish tailgater roof mounted, once I start generator and power up shack it will automatically find signal and load channels, last year I paid for dish, it was kinda expensive for what you get. But if your somewhere where you don’t have good antenna signal or cell service it was really nice to have. This year I have phone hotspot and bring my Roku along and just stream.

Thanks for the input. A friend came up with me last year and he had that set up with the hot spot and some sort of booster he uses for work. Snap on tool dealer so needs the mobile stuff to do business and it was pretty slick. Would have to add to the data plan for that much hot spot use I would think.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We do not run satellite in my old man’s but he has a hot spot that powers the smart TV and watches all the Netflix, Philo, ESPN, and what ever else. Not sure if you are only interested in dish, but that’s a option as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.