What was I doing wrong????

• mark winkels

I know where to start!!! I spent the weekend on the sipper Lock & Damn 7? Pool? by Lacrosse. I was trying to fish the wing damns for walleyes. I started with crankbaits and would catch nothing but bass. Perch, Firetiger, Shad, and blue and silver all around size7-9. Switched to a lindy no snag sinker with a floating jig head. Used leeches, crawlers, and minnows still catching a lot of bass, sheep head,perch, northern, and gills. Used same rig with plain hook same results.
    Any advice?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Move to a different part of the wing Dam……(Like the end.)Or move to a different dam altogether. Not all dams hold fish. If the panfish were using the dam,I’d guess there wasn’t enough flow on that dam. Find one with pretty good flow. Good Luck!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I started with crankbaits and would catch nothing but bass.

how big?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I started with crankbaits and would catch nothing but bass.

how big?

Slop’s ‘fishing’ again…..

mark winkels

1 nice smallie around 18″ and a chunky largemouth around 16-17″.
    We were working the entire dam.

eyebuster
    Duluth

We caught a couple eyes trolling longer closing damns this weekend but the majority of them came in the eddie areas or at the mouth of feeder creek areas. More natural colors worked the best for us.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

We’ve been pounding the eyes on wingdams down here on pool 12 at DBQ. Most of the fish have been coming on a 3-way DBQ rig with drop jigs and crawlers on the long line. About half the fish have been hitting the drop jig and the other half on the crawler. 2 weeks ago you could load up on fish on one or two dams but now they have spread out a little more. We’ll pick up 2 or 3 fish off of one dam and move on to the next dam where we’ll find another fish or two. Up until the past week the fish did not seem to want cranks but I popped a 24-1/2″ one casting a crank last Monday afternoon so I’ll be doing more crank casting. It has been a great month of wingdam fishing and it should continue up until the first part of July. Haven’t picked up any pan fish on the dams yet but they’ll be showing up soon. Don’t let gills on a dam scare you away as I have caught gills and walleye on the same dam many times. The fish we have been getting have mostly been out deep in front of the dams. We’ve also been getting a few on top of the dams in the mornings and evenings but during the day the active fish seem to be feeding deeper out in front of the dams.

Just don’t give up! You’ll find the fish sooner or later.

Eyehunter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.