Trailer Wheel Bearings

• Goodfish
    Savage,MN

I need advice as to how to proceed with a wheel bearing issue. When I returned home from fishing Friday ( drove 70 miles) I felt my trailer hubs and they where hot. The next day I disassembled them and this is what I observed.

1. Grease was slightly darker than new grease.

2. Bearings look OK, so said the auto parts dealer.

3. The spindle is polished/scuffed at the inner bearing location, it’s more promenit on the underside of the spindle, looks like a band. I do not feel any grooving.

Is this scuffing normal, had trailer for 2 years? Should I replace brearings? What about the spindle?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Sounds like normal wear. The heat problem may have been caused by an overtightend spindle nut.

Personally, I’d replace the entire set of bearings and racers. For $15-20 bucks, that’s cheap insurance. I replace mine each fall….not just a re-pack, a total replace. Never a problem.

Also, I’m no fan of bearing buddies. AKA “Greese Sprayers”!! Just tap on a set of dust caps and your set for the year.

Good Luck,

J.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I replaced a trailer hub Saturday on hwy 27 on the south side of Millacs for 5 hrs. Never want to go through that again, replace the bearings and races its just not worth taking the chance. Fished the rest of the day Saturday and did the other side of the trailer Sunday. Ready for the upcoming weekend, I hope.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Hey Big D,

Ya Going up to the big pond Saturday?

Hook

DONOTDELETE

I gotta throw in my 2cents on this one. I went through this twenty five years ago! Lube is the key. Most bearings are make by Temkin Co. Temkin Co. provides a test for grease called the temkin load test. A regular wheele bearing grease that you re-pak with that you get from the automotive shop or Co-op, is of about 5 to 10 temkin load carring ability. That means 5 to 10 thousand pounds per sq. inch film stringth before metal to metal wear hapens. Regular wheel bearing greases that come in most stores, will do for most trailers….. most do not have that much per. sq. in. “load”on the bearings . Most trailers will never have so much load that the lubricant would ever fail and score bearings. However, with your boat loaded heavy, with a kicker, and the xtra gear and add an axle nut that may be too tight… you may excede the temkin load of the grease. This starts to cook your grease at a steady low temp. Cheap grease that “cooks up” has a tendancy to melt. When it melts and becomes a liquid it is spun off the bearing at high road speeds. This allows the bearing to run hoter, and every time you cool the melted grease down, it goes back to a simi-solid at a different color and viscosity (thickness). This “harder” when cool grease that has been cooked up will not move out of the way when you try to purge it with a softer grease! The softer grease goes right arround it and out any hole in the seal or out the front of the bearing buddy. Result, even though you erease you are not adding new grease where it is needed at the race. Soon you are running hot because of lubricant failure and the buddy bearings are showing full! Or, if you have a poor seal you will be using more and more grease. In this case you’ll see grease that has melted and is slung out, on the inside of the wheel. This ruins your trailer brakes!

I suggest an Aluminum Oxide, non-melting, 100 temkin load grease that won’t splatter even if you hit it with a hammer! This stays put. It never melts. It provides many times the lubricant value. And you’ll never have to add grease to a bearing even with a poor seal. I re-paked my 17ft alumacraft when I got it new and I used “my old puddle jumper” for six years, never added any grease. The buddies were full. And when I did do a bearing inspection, there was no “track” on the spindle from where the bearing race sat! No wear at all on the bearings at all. You could not tell them from new.

Steelco Lubricants from ValPraiso, ILL (or Ind.?) makes this grease. I think it is a SG 400 but check with them. Non-melting and 100 temkin is the key to ask for from any company. And I am sure any company that makes high temkin load synthetic or blends will have something like it.

Non-melting means that it will not get hot and sling out of a seal that leaks. Grease can be tested by placing a “dob” on a nail and lighting it with a match. If it burns and does not drip, it is non-melting. If it drips and burns this is not what you want. Aluminum Oxide grease will burn, but not drip. When it burns it look to “charcoal” on the outside. After it cools, it forms no solids and and the “charcoal” looking crust breaks down to the origional viscosity forming no solids. Not affected by heat.

Oh well, py point is get a better grease. To set your wheel bearings is simple. Pull the cotter pin on the axle and tighten the wheel bearing retainer nut (with the tire still on), till it starts to show any resistance when you try to spin the tire (while jacked up). Then back off 1/4 of a turn on the nut and re-install the cotter pin. Done deal, now put the bearing buddies back on.

Hope this helped sonmeone, it has me . I have and never will loose a bearing since I switched. Hoggie Hoggard

herb
    6ft under

Hey Hoggie, can you name some places where a guy can find the grease you described? Good post!

herb

DONOTDELETE

I’ll check it out…be right back!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Great Info Hoggie, guess what I will be doing again before the rig leaves the driveway this weekend. How about availability of the 100 temkin grease? is it available at auto parts stores? or is this going to take a little more leg work than that.

Hook, no real plans yet, if i was a betting man i would say yes, sometime Saturday late morning.

you?

D

DONOTDELETE

To tell you the truth I used to be in the oil business when I lived in Texas 25 years ago. Before I moved to Minnesota. That is where I got on to this kind of grease. I found the company I bought from twenty years ago, just now, on the web and they are still in business! Wild what is on the web! I still have tubes of grease from that long ago, in the origional case I got… because once this kind of grease is in place, that the bearings will not take any more greaseing…. because they are full of grease, forever! Anyway, I got the grease from SELCO (Synthetic Engeneered Lubricants Company (then based in Fort Worth Texas). The company’s is named the same but some of the other information I gave from memory, I got some of that wrong. I went out to the shop in my garage and checked. I started using SG200 (a red grease) at 100 temkin. I then, sometime way back switched to using the SG350 … a gold color, because it was a bit more waterproof (as I remember) than the SG200 on their specs sheet. Anyway…it was 100 temkin too. I found their web address to be up and running, but I did not see the SG200 on the list of greases there. The SG350 is there though. Contact http://www.synthetic-lubes.com and the name is SELCO (not Steelco). Sorry!

I think that AMSOL makes a non-melting grease that is 70 to 100 temkin load too, as I recall. Anything with non-melting high temkin film stringth, will beat the sox off what is on the shelf at your local hardwear.

Ask the company you choose for specs. and a recommendation for the application on boat trailer bearings before you buy. Ask for a sample! Then test their grease to see if their grease melts when heated! In my opinion, even at three times the price, I’ll never put cheap “regular” grease in my boat bearings again. Nobody wants to go through that “broke down on the side of the road” [censored]….ever!

Hoggie Hoggard

WillB
    Minneiska

Just a note about bearings, Timkins are good, and there are others that are also ok, but be careful . From experience in the transmission business I’d suggest want to stay away from the Peer made in China bearings you see Kit packaged at many marine dealers and Cabela’s. I don’t care how good your grease is if bearings are of substandard quality they will not last.

herb
    6ft under

Hoggie, Just got back from selco’s web site. I know you mentioned sg350, but they go up to sg940. Would you stick with the sg350 or is there something better?

herb

DONOTDELETE

If memory serves me, SG350 is the best for use in applications involving water (the SG200 was great too for water). The other “SG’s” are for different applications, like I remember the SG500 was silver color and was for extreme heat of furnaces… etc. Contact them and ask them for the proper SELCO grease product for the application on boat bearings. I bet they have made improvments over the years and may have products made better than they did when I got my grease from them. While you are at it, would you ask them about their MARINE gear oil too. May be, they can recommend something bette than the cheap marine gear oil I have been getting at WalMart! If you can, please let us know what you find out.

FYI… I told a tube mill owner ( Hoffman Tube Co. of Owatonna, now moved out of the state) about the SELCO SG350 grease, about ten years ago. They started using this grease and went from greasing every other day on the mill to once every three weeks. And stopped replacing “down” gear boxes weekly, to not haveing to replace one again for the period of time I worked there, which was over a year. I think that was when I switched to SG 350 for the boat trailer from SG200. Hope this helps…

Thanks… Hoggie Hoggard

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.