Pool fishing 2 or 4 how to

• mrpike1973

OK I know nothing about fishing the Mississippi river can I get some advice? which pools are they 2,4?. I tried to google but could not figure out the maps. What towns are they by, can a Ford Escape with AWD get up the ramp in ice or should I stay home? bringing a knife to a gun fight if you will. Is it mostly jig fishing for walleyes any chance at catfish also. I have never been there don’t know what to expect does it cost to launch or are they public ramps. Any other rivers that would be open now or soon? Thanks for any advice.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

For pool 4, Red wing/Hager city is the place to be this time of the year. Water is mostly open and likely will be completely open the rest of the season now. Can access it from a private ramps like Everts ($5 to launch) or there’s a public just downstream. Personally, I’ve used Everts every time. Won’t have any issues with ramps assuming you don’t elsewhere. Dragging jigs and plastics slowly is typically the name of the game. Plenty of IDO videos on YouTube showing the how to.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Ramps for both pools are good to go. Honestly, not trying to spend your money, but For your first time out, grab a friend, leave your boat at home and give one of the local guides a call. I know both Denver McKinnon or Mary Hahn fish multiple pools on the Mississippi, which is important in my opinion to stay on the best bite. Definitely helps the learning curve. We been hitting the river 3 out of 4 weekends a month, year round on average for the last ten years, and still learning the different pools. Heck, I’ve learned a couple techniques just watching them over the years.
    The river can be pretty awesome when you get a bite dialed in.

tangler
    Inactive

The pool numbers coincide with the lock & dam numbers on the downstream end of the pool because those dams are what stop the flow and create the “pools” above them. So lock and dam #2 is in Hastings, MN, and therefore pool 2 is all the water from that dam upstream to lock & dam #1 aka the Ford dam in St. Paul/Minneapolis.

Right now there are 3 options that I know of that are open for p2– hidden falls in St. Paul, the DNR access under the 494 bridge in south St. Paul, and lion’s levee in St. Paul park. Yes, Those are 3 different cities. All are free. I heard 494 was pure ice this weekend, not sure about the others. The best place for a newbie to launch p2 is watergate marina in St. Paul but that’s usually the last to open up and they charge $10 weekdays, $15 weekends. Worth it to not deal with current and have a large dock space.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Start reading the Mississippi River forum…the P2 report for last year and this year are full of Information.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I agree with hiring a guide for the first time. Your learning curve will be so much faster by spending a little time with someone that’s been chasing walleyes for 20+ years on the river.

There’s also these three guys that have their captain’s license.

Pool 4 and More Guide link

Keep in mind the river is always changing and what works today may not be working tomorrow.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you do pool 4 just launch at the public landing right on highway 63 and head upstream. When you come to the zoo atmosphere, toss a line in and follow everyone. lol Snug up close to anyone having landed a fish to see what they’re using, the adjust what you’re using accordingly. Or ask the neighbors what’s working. Just don’t sit on the deep hole at the dam and content yourself with 6″ fish…that is not fishing.

At this time of year you do not need to be an Einstein to go home with a few fish. If you launch at Everts just ask at the bait shop what’s been working for plastic and jigs and grab a few of those. And DON’T forget the life jacket! If you’re fishing alone neither pool mentioned is a place you want to accidently end up in the drink.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I don’t fish the river often and knew nothing about the Mississippi River, it’s pools, rules, or where to start when I moved to Minnesota 7 years ago. It can be intimidating when trying to figure out a starting point.

I would recommend to go to Evert’s Resort in Hager City, WI (your MN License will work for the WI side). There are enough people around to help you out for your first time, do not be afraid to ask questions to anybody – the person launching next to you, the bait shop, anyone. On a nice spring weekend you will see a lot of people and potentially wait to launch. You will run into the person in the $100,000 boat that can launch by themselves in 5 seconds, you will see the person in a $10 tin can boat that will take 30 minutes to launch with a group of people.

It is a river, so think safety. Lifejackets. GPS lake chip that marks wing dams if you have one. Talk with the bait shop to have them also show you on a map where some dangers could be in the water. Know the buoys and what they mean for marking the channel. There will be enough people fishing this time of the year, for your first time out – honestly just follow the crowd until you kind of figure out your own pattern, and then branch off. 90% of the people fish on about 5% of the river. While there are still fish on all the remaining 95% of the river.

That said, I’ve had days where I have caught walleye after walleye. Returned the next day to the same spot, same tactics, and couldn’t find a fish. 3 out of every 4 trips are pretty fun! 1 out of every 4 I seem to get skunked. I also haven’t been there the last 2 years either….

tangler
    Inactive

You will run into the person in the $100,000 boat that can launch by themselves in 5 seconds, you will see the person in a $10 tin can boat that will take 30 minutes to launch with a group of people.

I think you got this backwards rabbit.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Yep, I would agree, tangler. The tin boat guys are typically faster than the glassers that have never seen current.

tangler
    Inactive

Besides, I paid $40 for my tinny, not $10!

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnrabbit wrote:</div>
    You will run into the person in the $100,000 boat that can launch by themselves in 5 seconds, you will see the person in a $10 tin can boat that will take 30 minutes to launch with a group of people.

Oh, it goes both ways! Nothing will surprise you on a given day. I still think a guy could make a you tube channel just sitting at the boat landing running that camera. I would watch it.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Well… meant that you’ll run into anybody and everybody. Ones that can load quick and will intimidate you. Ones that aren’t prepared and spend 30 minutes at the launch taking everything out of their vehicle into the boat. Nice boats. Old boats.

tangler
    Inactive

Totally true. I was just giving you a hard time.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What irritates the beejeevers out of me is you get there early to fish park your vehicle, and when you come back rigs are parked so you cannot even back out of your space.
    My other peeve is when people pull out and they stop on the ramp to tie down and clean there boat out GGGGGGeeeeerrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Why is pool 3 always overlooked? whistling
    Kidding aside, if you want to catch fish and eat fish, pool 4 with a guide the first time. If you want to experiment and be irritated a few times, pool 2.

Walleye Hungry

So i fished Pool 4 two weeks ago for the first time ever and i know it was really slow but i felt like my jig was never on bottom. I looked around town for 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 ounce jig heads with little luck.

Does anyone know for a fact where i can find these in stock without ordering online?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One thing I’ll say for when the traffic really ramps up is to be able to re-rig in a 20 window. Clean the jig eyes at home before you go. Have what you need right handy. And if you get hung up, break the line. All this “oh, oh, oh, go back I’m hung up stuff is a disaster waiting to happen when everyone is drifting in a nice cadence. Stopping a boat or trying to go back upstream to get un-hung throws a wrench in everyone else’s drift. Jigs are cheap. Tempers can get costly.

Wingman99
    Elk River, MN

As slow is the flow is right now, if you need that big of a jig your fishing the wrong spot..

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Does anyone know for a fact where i can find these in stock without ordering online?

Fleet Farm in Lakeville has some 1/2 and 5/8 oz jigs. Not a lot of selection but they did have some on Monday.

I was on the river yesterday and there were locations and depths that I needed the 5/8 oz jig. Especially fishing the Dubuque Rig.

Walleye Hungry

As slow is the flow is right now, if you need that big of a jig your fishing the wrong spot..

Fishing a dubuque rig bud…need the heavier weight

buschman
    Pool 2

Everetts usually sells the larger jigs up to 3/4 for Dubuque riggin.. I have not been there this year but know they have always carried them in the past.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

OK I know nothing about fishing the Mississippi river can I get some advice? which pools are they 2,4?. I tried to google but could not figure out the maps. What towns are they by, can a Ford Escape with AWD get up the ramp in ice or should I stay home? bringing a knife to a gun fight if you will. Is it mostly jig fishing for walleyes any chance at catfish also. I have never been there don’t know what to expect does it cost to launch or are they public ramps. Any other rivers that would be open now or soon? Thanks for any advice.

MrPike. Regarding pool 4.
    Ramps will not be icy this weekend. So your vehicle is fine.

Yes you can catch catfish. I’ll be on 4 likely this weekend trying to dial in a catfish bite, have some guests in a week to prep for.

Here’s an post on how to. Search:
    big-chubby-winter-channel-catfish

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Do-it tear drop jig mold
    1/16 up to 1-1/2

Attachments:
    1. 20200207_162824.jpg

Andrew Risler

Thats why i beach mine. Im one of the guys in an “expensive” glass boat too. But i have a keel guard and its easier to beach than deal with ramp congestion when ramps are busy. Prep and pack boat away from ramp. In and out. Not hard….

rubberduck
    east bethel

Can anyone tell me what the water clarity is on p.4?

catmando
    wis

From what I have seen over the years that people new to river fishing with a good current is they fish to deep. Low water deeper, high water shallower, think current-no current. simplified yes I am not an author. The more you can keep your boat at the same or slower current speed when slipping you will get more bites. DK.

nord

Walleye Hungry, How close are you to Owatonna?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.