Packers End of an Era?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I really doubt that Rogers will play another game in a Packer uniform. I think he will pull a Tom Brady and try his hand with some other new team.

A trade would be ideal for the Packers, but I think his contract might make that pretty difficult. A trading partner would need to be willing to take him on at $59M for 2023 and $49M for 2024, plus give up picks. Does his play still merit that? It did in 2021, but not in 2022. And maybe the Packers agree to cover some of that money to get a trade done, but still.
    And of course if he retires it’s $40M in dead money for the Packers next year. That makes it tough to re-sign existing guys and bring in new ones – all while not getting the QB they’re paying for on the field. They pushed in to keep him this year, but it’s the kind of deal that can definitely hobble the team for multiple years.

Not sure what to make of the Packers from here. Can they go back to being the team to beat in the NFC North again with their current roster? Probably not. Something drastic is going to have to change this off season for them to significantly improve from 8 wins.

I suppose they did do something drastic by starting 3-6 followed by 5-3. mrgreen But they played a harder schedule during the first half of the year, so, yes, they were exactly what their record says they were…mediocre.
    The defense is young, and mostly good when healthy.
    Running game is great, wide receivers look decent, they’ll need a slot guy.
    Offensive line needs help on the right side. Assuming they re-sign Bahktiari.
    The quarterback position will make or break them.

Add me to the list of Watch out for the Lion’s next season. I think they have a good young team to build off. A few key players and they could be right there at the top of the Division.

It’s interesting to see how in back-to-back games that the Packers running game was so effective against the Vikings, and so ineffective against the Lions. Right from the start the Packers were trying to use Watson’s speed to get outside to the corner against the Lions rather than running off tackle. And when they did run inside, it got crushed. They put enough pressure on that the Packers were forced to change right tackles mid-game to get someone quicker in that spot. For the Lions, that’s an awful good place to build around to go with a decent offense. It’s still wild to me that they traded Hockenson to MN mid-season; at the time things looked pretty dark, but in hindsight that guy alone may have put them over the top to make the playoffs.

His contract is a hurdle, but not some impenetrable force. The Packers will want off of it (if he wants to move on), so there’s a likelihood that they take on some of it to essentially “Buy” the draft picks associated with the trade. This is what leads to the possibility of a mutually agreed upon trade being an option.

The number being over 50 million is a pile of cash, but that is also not all against the cap as many fail to understand. I think the cap hit is around $31 million (still a lot, but not exactly 50+ million). There are teams out there who would gladly trade picks for him and an agreed portion of his contract to take a swing at winning it all. For every team chasing a championship building through the draft and development process (Bengals as an example), there are teams willing to swing for everything and worry about the future – in the future (Rams, Bucs).

The common denominators to all of it is Rodgers has to first know what he wants to do (which he likely doesn’t right now), and then notify people what he wants to do in a clear way (which he did NOT do last year). I’d bet he doesn’t say much of anything before the free agency period in March. By then if he doesn’t have his mind made up, I’d hate to be in the Packers front office as it will be a circus of speculation with no path forward. For some reason I think Rodgers will make a more clear decision and articulate it from the get-go this offseason as he will care about his image post-football or post-Green Bay.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think the cap hit is around $31 million (still a lot, but not exactly 50+ million).

Correct, but that is just next year though. His cap hit is 31m next year, then 40m, 59m and 51m, so whoever trades for him is not giving up much of anything to take all of that on, most likely is what you said, the Packers take part of that hit for years to come to get rid of their 2x MVP and get some decent pics in return…

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Oh and they will need to pickup Love’s 5th year option, which would be around $15M.

Joe

Lions went 8-2 in their last 10 games and 5 – 1 in the Division. Swept the Packers and Bears …

They will have an easier schedule next year than the Vikings having finished 3rd in their Division. The Vikings will play all the 1st place Division teams next season.

the lions finished 2nd in the north.

Dan
    Southeast MN

They will have an easier schedule next year than the Vikings having finished 3rd in their Division. The Vikings will play all the 1st place Division teams next season.

I think facts like that get overlooked often, especially right now when this season isn’t even over yet. I watched last night as the final seconds ticked off the clock and both teams’ records were 8-8, then they changed to Lions 9-8 and Packers 8-9, meaning the Lions will play divisions’ 2nd places and the Packers play divisions’ 3rd places. The NFL really does have a lot of obvious parity drivers, and things like that can make a big difference.

Brittman

Stand corrected – thank you. Second place in the North.

Salary cap is a big one on parity. Too bad the Twins cannot hope to play and compete on that type of equalizer.

orve4

Aaron Rodgers is the only quarterback to start every game and not throw for 300 yards in a game in 2022. 50 million is alot of money for that guy. The team that signs him must have a roster that is ready to win and is just a quarterback away.

big_g
    Isle, MN

He ends up with Davante again… he wants warmer weather.. all the old guys do when their careers are winding down.

haleysgold
    SE MN

He ends up with Davante again… he wants warmer weather.. all the old guys do when their careers are winding down.

I could totally see this one happening. Makes perfect sense with Adams already there, Carr recently getting the boot, it’s warm there and the Raiders are always willing to spend big.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Pack fan. I hope Rodgers retires. I think he’s hit the wall. The Pack will be mediocre for the foreseeable future and I give Detroit credit too. They are definitely on the rise.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I know the Bears were terrible this year and have a bunch of holes to fill but going into the off-season they have the most salary cap room of any team in the NFL plus the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. It could be the Vikes and pack looking up in the division.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I love all this. Rodgers has had a great career, but when you’re an arrogant Ahole like Rodgers has been the last 6-7 years nobody is going to throw the piling on flag for you on the way down.

Tlazer

After the news today the LaFleur doesn’t see any coaching changes I don’t see the Pack being any better than 3rd place in the North next year. Another year with a record of 8-9 again. In typical fashion LaFleur will say at the end of next year, yeah I guess we need a change at DC & OC coordinator positions. It’s always after the fact.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan, and Lewis are free agents. So are Amos, Nixon, and Crosby. Amos and Nixon are worth re-signing. Crosby maybe on a 1-year deal to finish out his career in GB. But reloading means not paying average guys big money when they can be replaced for less.
    If you can find a partner, trade Rodgers, pay Love. Load up on draft picks wherever you can.
    Suffer for a few years…the good news is that the modern NFL rules mean that it can’t be like the 30 years from ’67-’96, and it’s really almost impossible to miss so many times on a QB as the Bears and Browns.

Beast

the defensive coordinator needs to go, he wasn’t worth a crap when he was a coach in Detroit, I don’t know why they thought he would be good in green bay.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan, and Lewis are free agents. So are Amos, Nixon, and Crosby. Amos and Nixon are worth re-signing. Crosby maybe on a 1-year deal to finish out his career in GB. But reloading means not paying average guys big money when they can be replaced for less.
    If you can find a partner, trade Rodgers, pay Love. Load up on draft picks wherever you can.
    Suffer for a few years…the good news is that the modern NFL rules mean that it can’t be like the 30 years from ’67-’96, and it’s really almost impossible to miss so many times on a QB as the Bears and Browns.

I think Lazard and Tonyan are worth resigning, too, if it’s not for big bucks. I think they are both very dependable targets. Tonyan is one year out of a great year, after he tore his ACL.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lazard sounded like he wasn’t planning on being back in GB. Another offseason going to be held hostage by AAron, as if he comes back that will greatly impact their offseason maneuvers.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For some reason I think the whole Rogers situation will be decided much sooner this off=season than in the past. I don’t know why being who we are talking about here ( Drama Queen that He is ) but for some reason I feel like this will be resolved much sooner this year.

KwickStick

For some reason I think the whole Rogers situation will be decided much sooner this off=season than in the past. I don’t know why being who we are talking about here ( Drama Queen that He is ) but for some reason I feel like this will be resolved much sooner this year.

I agree. Trust me, we Packer fans are burned out by his drama.

Dan
    Southeast MN

So for you Packer fans that know more then I would, what’s different with Rogers? From what I remember Favre played drama games several off seasons and eventually the organization forced his hand and said they’re moving on. This time it seems like Rogers is the one calling all the shots. Is it same ownership group or what’s different here?

KwickStick

I don’t know for sure but I suppose the back to back MVP seasons prior to this one has something to do with it.

KP
    Hudson, WI

So for you Packer fans that know more then I would, what’s different with Rogers? From what I remember Favre played drama games several off seasons and eventually the organization forced his hand and said they’re moving on. This time it seems like Rogers is the one calling all the shots. Is it same ownership group or what’s different here?

Same “fan ownership” just different Upper Management and GM. Also different way in how athletes have more control now a days I feel. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds but my guess is he will be back if the Packers bring his “friends” back. So like Lewis, Cobb, Tonyon, Bahktairi.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So for you Packer fans that know more then I would, what’s different with Rogers?

I don’t think it’s much different, and also don’t think Rodgers is calling any shots or they would have handled the whole situation differently. Basically goes back to the 2020 draft, after they lost the NFC championship they drafted Love and Dillon to be backups rather than a WR or TE to give Rodgers more weapons to get over the top. He’s been upset ever since, and taken an entirely business approach rather than a team approach.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>
    So for you Packer fans that know more then I would, what’s different with Rogers?

I don’t think it’s much different, and also don’t think Rodgers is calling any shots or they would have handled the whole situation differently. Basically goes back to the 2020 draft, after they lost the NFC championship they drafted Love and Dillon to be backups rather than a WR or TE to give Rodgers more weapons to get over the top. He’s been upset ever since, and taken an entirely business approach rather than a team approach.

Nailed it.

The Packers blatantly screwed up the 2020 draft and heads should have probably rolled in the front office over that. They traded up…for Love when they had a win now roster.

I’m not saying Rodgers is without fault, but the guy was literally capable of back-to-back MVP performances as the best player in the league, and they simultaneously bring in his replacement with a top end draft pick versus helping the team now. At this point Rodgers pivoted and started looking out for himself from a business standpoint and squeezed the Packers for everything he could while winning MVPs.

Instead of stomping on the gas through the end of Rodgers career and taking advantage of another HOF QB’s talent, they started to look beyond him. Sometimes worrying about tomorrow can screw up what’s going on today. When people reflect back on what the Packers did or did not accomplish while Rodgers was winning MVPs late in his career, blame will be cast heavily on the front office. For now people see Rodgers as arrogant, hard on his teammates, blah blah and easy to blame. Once that immediate visual wears off the reality is that the Packers screwed up.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i don’t see the Rodgers situation as very different than Favre. in both cases, i suspect the players’ difficulty in deciding was/is genuine as HoF careers come to a close and they struggle to figure out if they still want to play. and adopting an “it’s just business” attitude at the end is reasonable for the players and the team. if you can agree, you carry on; if you can’t agree you play for Minnesota and crush the hopes of Vikings fans with a bad interception. whistling

and to be fair, Rodgers made the NFC Championship games in 2015, 2017, 2020, and 2021. people like to say that this was in spite of the team, but – as this season shows – he couldn’t have done that alone. the Packers absolutely did provide him with elite teams during the back half of Rodgers career and it probably overstates things to say if Love was a WR everything would have been different. the 2020 NFC Championship team was probably better than the 2011 Super Bowl winners, they just couldn’t stop Raheem Mostert of all people. with 4 chances they absolutely should have won one of those games and gone to another Super Bowl – but they didn’t.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You reference 2009.. Bounty Gate… should have stripped New Orleans of their title. It’s a constant… being a Vikings fan. doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

he Packers absolutely did provide him with elite teams during the back half of Rodgers career

Who besides Devante Adams? And a defense that couldn’t stop Raheem Mostert…….

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Who besides Devante Adams? And a defense that couldn’t stop Raheem Mostert…….

i’m in no way saying that a HoF QB doesn’t matter. in fact, he matters the most of any other position – by a long shot. i’m just offering that it’s over-stating things to say that the rest of the players around him were no good.

results aren’t random: teams are as good or bad as their records say they are. and maybe Rodgers carries a lesser quality team along through one set of playoffs, but not during 3 in 5 years (17/20/21 NFC Championships). the teams with and around him produced elite results…which makes them elite teams.

2016 roster went 10-6 / 2-1: Rodgers, Lacy, Starks, Adams, Cobb, Nelson, Bahktiari, Bulaga, Lang, Linsley, Clark, Peppers, Matthews, Perry, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Shields, Crosby…pretty dang good team that got beat on the road in Atlanta by an incredible Falcons team who had won the SB by halftime before learning that Tom Brady’s an alien.

2019 roster went 13-3 / 1-1: Rodgers, Jones, Williams, Adams, Lazard, Tonyan, Bahktiari, Bulaga, Linsley, Clark, Gary, Smith, Smith, Alexander, Amos, Savage, Williams, Crosby…really, really, good team with a drop at WR depth losing Nelson in exchange for a new Lazard. got beat on the road in San Francisco by Mostert’s 220yds and 4TDs. ugh. i hang that one on mistakes with the scheme more than player quality.

2020 roster went 13-3 / 1-1: Rodgers, Jones, Williams, Dillon, Adams, Lazard, Tonyan, Bahktiari, Runyan, Linsley, Clark, Gary, Smith, Smith, Alexander, Amos, Savage, Crosby…got beat by Tampa Bay at home. Tom Brady’s an alien.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I guess my point was if the front office had chosen to try and appease Rodgers a little bit by taking JJ, Jeudy, Lamb, Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Pittman Jr., Kmet, Hamler, or Claypool in that 2020 draft instead of Love and Dillon it would be an entirely different scenario with Rodgers and the Pack. But the “Packers Way” is always looking forward and never looking at now, so they didn’t and here we are with another HOFer leaving on crappy terms.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.