Packers End of an Era?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anyone know the details of the Rodgers contract…cap ramifications, etc…

Yeah, I don’t think you want to know…but him retiring or trading him and getting the other team to pay the majority of his contract (lowering what you’d get back in return) is really the only option.

If they cut him before next season (will never happen), they would have a $99M cap hit. And even though I’m sure he will never have to worry about money, he has so much left on the table there is no chance he walks away imo. Gutey is going to have to trade him imo, or deal with a disgruntled QB that the fans are booing.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

B-man

We let the boys stay up until 9:15 last night watching the game. They had their Packer hats on and chanted Go Pack Go a few times mrgreen

Ben said, “Dad, you have to wake me up at five in the morning and tell me how the game went” jester

This morning at five I gave him a whisker rub and told him the Packers lost….

His reply, half alseep, “Dad, they suck this year”. I said son, “Now you know what it feels like to be a Vikings Fan.” He smiled in his sleep and roll back over rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I said son, “Now you know what it feels like to be a Vikings Fan.” He smiled in his sleep and roll back over

You never told him about the 3 decades before Favre? whistling rotflol

CaptainMusky

I think its entirely possible that Rodgers just retires. He has always been kind of off the wall with his stuff so it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think its entirely possible that Rodgers just retires. He has always been kind of off the wall with his stuff so it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

I’ve thought of that too, if he gets the vibe that the Pack might rebuild or have some down years I don’t think he will want to be around for any of that as the last part of his career.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’m not sure he would just retire and walk from all that dough.

A lot of QB needy teams out there.
    My guess is they trade him and get something for him on the way out the door. I’m sure they would have to eat some of his cap I would think anyhow but maybe not.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m not sure he would just retire and walk from all that dough.
    A lot of QB needy teams out there.
    My guess is they trade him and get something for him on the way out the door. I’m sure they would have to eat some of his cap I would think anyhow but maybe not.

Agreed, I think they trade him, and eat some or a lot of the money to get more draft capital since they have Love on his rookie contract yet. And I’m skeptical of Love long term, so they will need to draft another QB pretty high very soon.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Tampa could use a backup for Brady. He’s been 2nd fiddle to Brady his whole career anyway.

Ryan Schwartz

I think Rodgers teams up with Belichick next year in New England. Those two seem to have an admiration for each other.

MX1825

Tampa could use a backup for Brady. He’s been 2nd fiddle to Brady his whole career anyway.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

man i thought he would have done it last year but the lure of all those millions must have made him think twice. this year may have him changing his mind but only Aaron knows what he wants and i don’t think he is dumb enough to walk from all that money owed. i assume he will end his career on another team like Brady, Montana and others but at that point, he will need the talent around him.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yeah –
    End of an Era.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Meh, life will go on. The Pack was headed for slaughter in San Francisco anyways. This team didn’t deserve the playoff spot with the lack of execution tonight in countless ways.

I’m on the side of “Rodgers won’t retire and walk away from over $50 million in salary.” I think he’s traded to a contender and GB eats some of the salary in exchange for a pile of picks. This go round I expect a bit less drama and it being more of a mutual thing. Raiders, San Francisco (if they fall short of a SB appearance), Titans all have solid squads that could use a QB upgrade.

Attachments:
    1. E86CCB34-6BA6-4025-9571-603467F60435.jpeg

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

3 hours of my life I will never get back. Pathetic, Lions playing for nothing. Green Bay playing for everything .

B-man

A mediocre performance like the rest of the season…

It was a tough loss, but even with a win they likely weren’t going deep into the playoffs.

Time to mix up a night cap and see what next year brings toast

I’ll pull for the Vikes in the playoffs, but….well…if you know you know lol

Beast

Kinda the results I expected the way this season has gone, not disappointed they lost today because they weren’t going anywhere anyway. from the body language when he left the field, he may be done. he’s got more money then he can burn, and no family to leave it to.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Pathetic Lions? They will be there next year! Great coach. Great young defense. Just wait.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Pathetic Lions? They will be there next year! Great coach. Great young defense. Just wait.

I don’t think he said “Pathetic Lions”. It was “Pathetic” comma “Lions”.
    That’s different.
    Guessing he meant the game was pathetic more so for GB playing to get in to the playoffs while Detroit was playing for spoiler rights. GB laid an egg.

And I agree, the Lions are going to be a force to be reckoned in coming years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Lions started the season 1-6. For them to even have a shot at making the playoffs in week 18 is pretty remarkable. That skunker they played in Carolina a few weeks ago sunk them. I personally think they are a better team than Seattle and would fare better against the 49ers.

Not sure what to make of the Packers from here. Can they go back to being the team to beat in the NFC North again with their current roster? Probably not. Something drastic is going to have to change this off season for them to significantly improve from 8 wins.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I really doubt that Rogers will play another game in a Packer uniform. I think he will pull a Tom Brady and try his hand with some other new team. As far as The Packers go, I think they are headed for a few down years. Then again if they end up trading Rogers for a Ton of draft picks or some talent, they may not fall off much if any. Add me to the list of Watch out for the Lion’s next season. I think they have a good young team to build off. A few key players and they could be right there at the top of the Division.

dirtywater

Gotta hand it to Detroit. Dan Campbell is a different kind of dude and sometimes it makes him look foolish, but I think he has that locker room. They also are in really solid position in terms of the draft with the Rams giving them so much for Stafford and then under-performing.

Not sure how to read into the Rodgers/Cobb bit walking off the field. It could have just as well been Rodgers consoling his best friend Cobb, who is very likely done at this point.

Personally I’d be all for moving on from Rodgers and getting as much draft capital as they can. To me he still has the arm, but the rest of his body is breaking down and I feel like that is having a strong negative impact on the mental side. His confidence/ego is still enormous, but his physical limitations are mounting. His ability to respond to pocket pressure this year was atrocious. How many sacks did he take on 3rd/4th down? More than I can ever remember.

CaptainMusky

Have you guys seen the money that Rodgers is owed the next few years? I dont know a team in their right mind that would want to take that on.

Dan
    Southeast MN

IMO NFL-fandom world is in the same position as last year after the season regarding Rogers. You can make any scenario sound viable i.e. “this team plays in a dome and has a good O-line” or “this team is a QB away and has the money.” (Slight Kirk Cousins plug here-there are quite a few teams out there with a much worse QB situation than the Vikings). I imagine this offseason will play out much like last with all the “will he or won’t he drama,” minus a coordinator literally being hired away just to try and lure Rodgers.

I’ve seen a lot of criticism toward the Packers that they were 4-8 and should’ve transitioned to Jordan Love to see what they had, and now they’re out of the playoffs and don’t have that answer. Tough to say on that one, I see the point but if the Packers won last night and were a scary team with momentum in the playoffs no one would be saying that.

Admittedly I haven’t watched all kinds of Packers football but they look like they have something with Watson. They seem to use him very well with some of the pre-snap movements/motion and the guy can run good routes, make good adjustments to the ball and make good catches.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Relax….. dagger !!! doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That was an awesome game to watch! Pretty clear this year that Rodgers just never had the trust in his WR’s that he needs to be the multiple MVP he is. Sure looked like the swan song walking on and off the field with Cobb. I’m sure we will have another offseason of Rodgers related drama, that he sure seems to like. Quay Walker and #95 (Wyatt?) deserve some additional punishment for pushing the trainer and then 95 bumped him and looked to be trying to intimidate him, just idiotic moves, even more so a week after trainers saved Damar Hamlin’s life.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I really doubt that Rogers will play another game in a Packer uniform. I think he will pull a Tom Brady and try his hand with some other new team.

A trade would be ideal for the Packers, but I think his contract might make that pretty difficult. A trading partner would need to be willing to take him on at $59M for 2023 and $49M for 2024, plus give up picks. Does his play still merit that? It did in 2021, but not in 2022. And maybe the Packers agree to cover some of that money to get a trade done, but still.
    And of course if he retires it’s $40M in dead money for the Packers next year. That makes it tough to re-sign existing guys and bring in new ones – all while not getting the QB they’re paying for on the field. They pushed in to keep him this year, but it’s the kind of deal that can definitely hobble the team for multiple years.

Not sure what to make of the Packers from here. Can they go back to being the team to beat in the NFC North again with their current roster? Probably not. Something drastic is going to have to change this off season for them to significantly improve from 8 wins.

I suppose they did do something drastic by starting 3-6 followed by 5-3. mrgreen But they played a harder schedule during the first half of the year, so, yes, they were exactly what their record says they were…mediocre.
    The defense is young, and mostly good when healthy.
    Running game is great, wide receivers look decent, they’ll need a slot guy.
    Offensive line needs help on the right side. Assuming they re-sign Bahktiari.
    The quarterback position will make or break them.

Add me to the list of Watch out for the Lion’s next season. I think they have a good young team to build off. A few key players and they could be right there at the top of the Division.

It’s interesting to see how in back-to-back games that the Packers running game was so effective against the Vikings, and so ineffective against the Lions. Right from the start the Packers were trying to use Watson’s speed to get outside to the corner against the Lions rather than running off tackle. And when they did run inside, it got crushed. They put enough pressure on that the Packers were forced to change right tackles mid-game to get someone quicker in that spot. For the Lions, that’s an awful good place to build around to go with a decent offense. It’s still wild to me that they traded Hockenson to MN mid-season; at the time things looked pretty dark, but in hindsight that guy alone may have put them over the top to make the playoffs.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Quay Walker needs some serious coaching/teaching on his attitude. 2nd time this year he has been kicked out of a game for being an idiot.

I think it is just an excuse saying Rodgers didn’t trust his receivers. He looked off all year long and maybe instead of doing shrooms in the off season, he should been working out with his receivers. His stuff he said after the game I feel is just toying with the media. Gonna be about 2 months of speculation and drama on what he is going to do. This team didnt deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

Side note but apparently Vegas is making a serious push to sign Brady…

Brittman

Lions went 8-2 in their last 10 games and 5 – 1 in the Division. Swept the Packers and Bears …

They will have an easier schedule next year than the Vikings having finished 3rd in their Division. The Vikings will play all the 1st place Division teams next season.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The defense is young, and mostly good when healthy.
    Running game is great, wide receivers look decent, they’ll need a slot guy.

Their defense underperformed overall, 17th in yards and points. They have some talented young players though. Running game should have been their bellcow all year, but never really was. WR room needs a lot of help imo, Watson is good, but tbd on how good. He may be a #1 or just a deep threat/speed guy. Doubs showed signs but never any consistency. The rest of them are just guys. The crazy thing about all of this with the Packers is the 2020 draft where they drafted Love and Dillon which upset, understandably imo, Rodgers. They were just off the NFC championship, and needed WR help beyond Devante, they had Jones and Jamal Williams (who killed them last night) at RB. That 2020 draft was an all-timer for WR’s. JJ went 4 spots before Love, Aiyuk went 1 spot before Love. And here’s the list of WR’s/TE’s taken after Love: Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Cole Kmet, KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool (all solid) and Laviska Shenault and Denzel Mims. They also likely could have traded the Love pick and something else for JJ, Jeudy, or CeeDee Lamb (Ruggs and Reagor also went high in that draft) and had a happy Rodgers.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.