Packers End of an Era?

• big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

St. Peter packer backer ? Let me guess, Yankees too jester jester jester

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Hard to blame packer fans for being so gung-ho about their football team. There’s not much else to hang your hat on in Wisconsin unless it’s a hat rack at a bar

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

Vikings fans calling “Scoreboard!” about their overall NFL success is possibly the least self-aware thing ever. But I appreciate the zeal.

Zero playoff wins last year and the gift that keeps on giving…2023 matchups against the 49ers, Eagles, and Bengals. applause
    The Packers play the Rams, Giants, and Steelers in those slots.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Vikings fans calling “Scoreboard!” about their overall NFL success is possibly the least self-aware thing ever. But I appreciate the zeal.

I don’t know the Packers fans bragging about the “Packer Way” and SB’s is pretty high up there when you consider 2 HOF QB’s over 30 years won 2 SB’s. Meanwhile during that same time frame Brady won 7, Montana won 4, EACH Manning Bro won 2, Elway won 2, Aikman won 2, Roethlisberger won 2, and Mahomes has already won 2 in 6 seasons.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

I don’t know the Packers fans bragging about the “Packer Way” and SB’s is pretty high up there when you consider 2 HOF QB’s over 30 years won 2 SB’s. Meanwhile during that same time frame Brady won 7, Montana won 4, EACH Manning Bro won 2, Elway won 2, Aikman won 2, Roethlisberger won 2, and Mahomes has already won 2 in 6 seasons.

Yes, you can say the Packers have underachieved in the past 30 years, that’s a fair critique. I’d offer that free agency salary cap parity means that 2 SB wins in 30 years is actually twice the expected rate of success. Brady’s clearly the one real outlier when viewed through that lens because Montana’s career ended in ’94, so not part of this era. There’s no close second place to Brady in the GOAT conversation.

But that’s a different discussion, because “Scoreboard Vikings!” (ie., look at our NFC North/Central wins!) is not a valid part of the conversation if the measure is winning the Super Bowl. Any Super Bowl. Ever.

Skol Vikings, maybe 2023 is the year.

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>

Yeah, in terms of QBing skills, I think Rodgers tops them all. What makes Brady the GOAT is his team-friendly contracts that allowed Belicheat to keep the cupboards stocked with contributors. Brady had better coaching= superior game strategy + team personnel.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I’d offer that free agency salary cap parity means that 2 SB wins in 30 years is actually twice the expected rate of success. Brady’s clearly the one real outlier when viewed through that lens because Montana’s career ended in ’94, so not part of this era.

Well Favre’s career started in GB in 1992, so I’d consider Montana a contemporary to him. But you can leave him out, now do Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, John Elway, Aikman, Big Ben or Mahomes. That’s 6 individual guys (in addition to Montana and Brady) over that 30 years that have won it all as much as Rodgers and Favre COMBINED.

In case you forgot how we got here:

Packer Fan Joe: We sure are glad to have the Vikings in the division!

Me: Well the Vikes have won the division more than anyone.

Joe: Yeah, well Super Bowls!

Me: 2 SB’s for 30 years of HOF QB play is not very good. Here’s long list of individual QB’s that have done that or better.

Every Packers Fan: But the Vikings have won none, na na a boo boo.

P.S. Lambeau Field is a glorified pole barn more fit for 4H, and they should rename the Super Bowl Trophy to The Tom Brady Trophy. rotflol jester rotflol

MX1825
    Participant

Hard to blame packer fans for being so gung-ho about their football team. There’s not much else to hang your hat on in Wisconsin unless it’s a hat rack at a bar

I’m not sure but Badger BB and FB might of been better than Gophers over the last 20 years. Bucks vs
    T-Wolves??? Brewers vs Twins???
    Apparently you have bars to hang out at since your teams are kind of lacking in BIG Wins.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

I’m not sure but Badger BB and FB might of been better than Gophers over the last 20 years. Bucks vs
    T-Wolves??? Brewers vs Twins???
    Apparently you have bars to hang out at since your teams are kind of lacking in BIG Wins.

When did the Badgers BB/FB or Brewers win national championships?

MX1825
    Participant

BW
    I didn’t say they did. Gophers haven’t won a national championship either.
    GG basically said Packer fans had nothing else to do but hang out in bars. I didn’t know we could only cheer for the Pro teams. whistling

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

BW
    GG basically said Packer fans had nothing else to do but hang out in bars. I didn’t know we could only cheer for the Pro teams. whistling

Oh I thought that was the “BIG wins” reference…anyway be thankful you don’t have a pro hockey team! flame

MX1825
    Participant

Hey I’m still a Packer fan and glad AR is gone. The last 4 years it was not the players around him. It was his EGO for stats that caused the Pack to go nowhere in the playoffs.
    My loyalty to the NFC North last year I cheered for the Vikes but same ending as cheering for the Packers in the playoffs. doah

Beast
    Participant
    Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

Well Favre’s career started in GB in 1992, so I’d consider Montana a contemporary to him.

yes, they overlapped by 2 years…but, no. the important aspect is the free agency era which started in 1993 so it impacted Brady and Favre’s career but it did not impact Montana’s career.

now do Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, John Elway, Aikman, Big Ben or Mahomes. That’s 6 individual guys (in addition to Montana and Brady) over that 30 years that have won it all as much as Rodgers and Favre COMBINED.

Yes, 2 is more than 1. on the one hand that’s double what either Rodgers or Favre did, but of course, it’s also only 1 more than 1.
    it’s hard to win a Super Bowl, even for great teams and there’s a lot of variables that one could quibble about plus the occasional dose of randomness. for example, the 2011 Giants (Eli) are arguably the worst team to win a Super Bowl and the 2015 Broncos (Peyton) were entirely a defensive team with Von Miller winning the SB MVP. at the same time the Packers in 2007 (Favre) and 2020 (Rodgers) plus the Vikings in 1998 (Cunningham) and 2008 (Favre) are among the best teams to not make it to a Super Bowl. Sometimes guys miss their first field goal of the season at the worst possible time because, football.

Lambeau Field is a glorified pole barn more fit for 4H, and they should rename the Super Bowl Trophy to The Tom Brady Trophy.

nice…and again, not to quibble, but pole barns have roofs.
    football stadiums should not.
    also, ouch:
    https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/report-u-s-bank-stadium-will-need-280-million-in-maintenance-over-the-next-decade

i appreciate the banter! waytogo

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

Big G – – You should feel for me to have moved when I was naive to this lib cesspool…. but like so many before me…. just chasing tail. i enjoy the fishing opportunities though.

not a Yankees fan but also don’t hate teams that are successful…

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I do feel for you. I moved back to Mn twice, from Maui. Touche’ doah

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

BW

I’m not a gopher fan but my bulldogs have hung a few hockey national championship banners in the rafters

also, its funny how many packer fans end up living in Minnesota. That says a lot if you ask me.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

P.S. Lambeau Field is a glorified pole barn more fit for 4H, and they should rename the Super Bowl Trophy to The Tom Brady Trophy.

Bigwerm I get you’re trolling and I’ve seen you make this comment before but its just not true haha. I’ve sat in both club (que oh good for me sound bite from KFAN) and lower bowl in both Lambeau and US Bank. Lambeau Club sections are far better than US Bank’s and food as well but I’ll give you that US bank has a better lower bowl just because of the seats. The Atrium at Lambeau is pretty damn cool and I’ve had Viking fans tell me how they like the set up at Lambeau over US Bank. So keep trolling haha

But back to the topic Rodgers is gonna dominate in New York. The Packers may not even crack .500 this year with a new quarterback. Heck Rodgers struggled big time in his first year and no im not comparing Love to him, I’m just saying there are going to be big time learning curves. Packers got a haul for Rodgers but you just cant replace him.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

also, its funny how many packer fans end up living in Minnesota. That says a lot if you ask me.

that says almost as much as Vikings fans living in Packers threads on IDO.
    …if you ask me.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

hey, our football team sucks so I like to chirp the packers when the opportunity allows. I have no problem admitting that. With that said, I’d never move to Wisconsin.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I hate to break it to the pack fans butt… (pun intended) getting back to back QBs like Favre and then Rodgers is like getting hit by lightening twice. I doubt that third bolt is in the wings. whistling We will see soon enough. crazy

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

tonight’s draft is the most interesting one for the Packers in years. it’ll say a ton about how they view the current roster and especially Love – is this going to be a deep rebuild or a pretty quick restock?

I’d never move to Wisconsin.

okay, so, don’t?

I’ve lived in Duluth – awesome. Growing up in Green Bay was great as a kid but not interesting to live now. The Twin Cities and Madison both sucked balls. I now live in a really great small town. For me it has much more to do with the place than the side of the river…

I hate to break it to the pack fans butt… (pun intended) getting back to back QBs like Favre and then Rodgers is like getting hit by lightening twice. I doubt that third bolt is in the wings.

shoot! i hadn’t thought of that. thanks for breaking it down. jester
    for every Aaron Rodgers there are 50 Christian Ponders…

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’ve got the Packers at 7-10 finishing just ahead of the Bears in the NFC North. It is the end of an era. I hope Rodgers has success in NY and do think he will have a much better season, but the road through the AFC playoffs is rough. I see them going 10-7 or so and losing in the first round.

To start the new era I think the Packers either trade back, go OT, or take the best edge rusher available. Everyone wants to mock a WR to them, but this year’s WR class is notably weaker than some years. I think WR becomes a day 2 thing to add depth.

My off the cuff prediction for Love is that he ends up being extremely average with growing pains early.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Packers have a ton of capital to make some noise today with #13 overall, 2 seconds, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 4 7ths. The ultimate irony, and a possible proverbial middle finger to A Rodg, would be if they go offense early and often. rotflol

I’d guess they go OL and try and bolster that as they become a more run heavy team since their best offensive players are at RB (Jones and Dillon) and that will take some pressure off of Love. I see Love’s ceiling as being a serviceable NFL QB, but more likely a bust and they are using next years #1’s to get the next QB of the future.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Packers have a ton of capital to make some noise today with #13 overall, 2 seconds, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 4 7ths. The ultimate irony, and a possible proverbial middle finger to A Rodg, would be if they go offense early and often. rotflol

I’d guess they go OL and try and bolster that as they become a more run heavy team since their best offensive players are at RB (Jones and Dillon) and that will take some pressure off of Love. I see Love’s ceiling as being a serviceable NFL QB, but more likely a bust and they are using next years #1’s to get the next QB of the future.

Popular take from the anti-Packers crowd that’s been hurt by Rodgers all these years.

It’s not a secret that the Packers chose to invest tons of money and draft capital in the defense assuming Rodgers would drag along the rag tag group of WRs. He was capable of doing more with less in earlier years, but last year was clearly not the case. I don’t see them taking a WR or any offensive weapons as a middle finger, rather them admitting they need more skill players to compete for spots and grow with a young QB.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

It’s not a secret that the Packers chose to invest tons of money and draft capital in the defense assuming Rodgers would drag along the rag tag group of WRs. He was capable of doing more with less in earlier years, but last year was clearly not the case. I don’t see them taking a WR or any offensive weapons as a middle finger, rather them admitting they need more skill players to compete for spots and help with grow with a young QB.

Losing your all world QB bc he became disgruntled about the team not drafting anyone to help him get passed the NFC Championship game, and then the draft after he’s gone spending a bunch of draft capital on those exact positions, is the definition of irony. FWIW I like Rodgers, the player, and always have. His career win 67% vs everyone else, and 58% vs the Vikings.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    It’s not a secret that the Packers chose to invest tons of money and draft capital in the defense assuming Rodgers would drag along the rag tag group of WRs. He was capable of doing more with less in earlier years, but last year was clearly not the case. I don’t see them taking a WR or any offensive weapons as a middle finger, rather them admitting they need more skill players to compete for spots and help with grow with a young QB.

Losing your all world QB bc he became disgruntled about the team not drafting anyone to help him get passed the NFC Championship game, and then the draft after he’s gone spending a bunch of draft capital on those exact positions, is the definition of irony. FWIW I like Rodgers, the player, and always have. His career win 67% vs everyone else, and 58% vs the Vikings.

It was definitely a plan that did not work. I don’t think it was anything personal other than the front office wrongly thought Rodgers could make anything go on offense even at his age. Clearly he needs more than unknown WRs at this stage of his career to put up MVP numbers.

He rightfully opted to not want to be part of a rebuild and moved on to NY. The only drama involved is those who want to see it and take the media’s perspective for fact (without remembering they’re looking for clicks and views at all costs).

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

Of course the Packer fanbase and organization are going to come to regret not giving Rodgers more on talent on offense. This will come over time..

I mean Ron Wolf has admitted his biggest regret during his GM time was not surrounding Favre with more offensive weapons.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

Losing your all world QB bc he became disgruntled about the team not drafting anyone to help him get passed the NFC Championship game

so i guess it’s a good thing he’s got Allen Lazard to throw to again in order to get past the AFC Championship game?

the Jets season will start and end with their defense. heck, if that defense could make life easy for Zach Wilson it’ll do wonders for Rodgers at this point in his career. on offense i think it’ll all be about whether or not Garrett Wilson can get YAC numbers from all of Rodgers safe throws. plenty of reason to think so, but there’s no one on that team who stretches the field for back shoulder or high point catches the way that Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams did for him.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Jets Defense were 6th in points and 4th in yards. Garrett Wilson is one of the better young up and coming WR’s. Corey Davis is a big physical WR and Mecole Hardman is one of the fastest WR’s in the league. Plus they have 3 solid RB’s and 2 solid TE’s (not that Rodgers ever uses them besides one brief stretch with Tonyan). Rodgers has as much or more talent around him in NY, since he had Devante and Jordy in 2016.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.