Packers End of an Era?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Figured the Pack deserved their own thread. Would love to hear Packers fans opinions on things in Cheeseland after another disappointing loss! I haven’t watched too many of their games recently, so curious what the temp of the cheese is. Bad WR’s and a regressing defense the extent, or something more? I can’t imagine Rodgers will be back due to his history and this years performance by him and the team. 30 years ago Favre took the helm, and 30 consecutive years of HOF QB Play looks to be coming to an end.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Sure seems to be the end. If you are a Packers fan, it was an incredible run at QB. 30 years ago my Dad moved to WI. I still remember Brett Favre as a rookie throwing picks but getting up and throwing TDs too. In all seriousness I have respect for both. My Dad became a Packers fan but was the odd duck that cheered for both teams. We always had fun going back and forth on the rivalry- I do miss that.

Sounds crazy, but the Pack may as well trot J.Love out there for the rest of the season.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Not a packers fan at all, in fact when they loose I am happy, if the NFC North would just all go 3-14 with a road wins against their fellow NFC North teams to really dash the hopes of all NFC North fans, I would be fine with it.

However, Send Aaron out to the ayahuasca resorts to live out his days being a self centered ass hat and watch your team get better. There is a reason he fell in the draft, there is a reason there is no receivers that stay for long in GB and there is a reason that in 30 years of Hall of fame QB play you have 2 Superbowl wins. Winning championships takes more than “Hall of fame play” on Sunday…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The roster is just not that talented, and they have more starters now listed on the injured report than any of the other 31 teams in the NFL. Their WR room is one of the worst in the league, their O-Line is real banged up, their best TE is coming off knee surgery, leaving their RB’s as a nice group with a pro bowler and an up and comer. That’s just not enough. They are not a good offensive team as assembled. Their defense has underperformed, but partly because the offense simply cannot move the ball or score causing the defense to be on the field significantly more than they should be.

I’m not a huge fan of blaming coaching and the players immediately. This team just isn’t that good. If you were to rank rosters in the NFL based on perceived talent alone this group isn’t cracking the top 20. If anyone is to blame, it falls on the front office. The trade deadline was a chance to either swing for the turnaround or maybe shop a few guys…but ultimately they did nothing which just delays the inevitable and casts you off as a franchise with mediocrity as the new ceiling for ~5 years minimum.

CaptainMusky

The lions allow like the most pts per game in the league and GB got 9? That should tell you all you need to know about what the issue is with that team. I wonder if Rodgers will play out the whole season at this rate he’s such a crybaby.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ever since LaFleur said, something to the effect…”if you want all the credit when we win.. then it’s all on you when we lose too”… Rodgers seems to be bagging it… he wants either LaFleur gone or himself. I knew that Packers were down this year but the Lions ? I know they (lions) beat the Vikings last year on a sloppy game ending TD, but the Packers scored 9 ? blush

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think Rodgers, understandably, is upset with the front offices inaction in addressing the talent around him, especially in comparison to moves other teams are making. Also, I think Rodgers tired of hearing everyone saying how great Lafluer is, when he stepped into a NFC Championship caliber team, and has done nothing to elevate them. And seems to take an adversarial role with Rodgers, which is very strange. But I didn’t see this week, nor the NY losses, so not totally up to date on what’s going on.

Justin Donson

Just a strange situation all around I think. From a Vikings fan perspective, it’s interesting to watch the Packers O-line be not good for what feels like the first time in the last 15 years. You combine that with no WR talent and you’re seeing Rodgers struggle for like the first time ever basically.

That front office deserves a boot in my opinion though. They just didn’t have the guts to move on from Rodgers, and it’s hurting them now. They had an NFCCG caliber roster in place, and then used their #1 overall pick for a backup QB, and their #2 overall pick for a 2nd RB(with Aaron Jones already on the team).

They could have drafted Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Chase Claypool, etc. and then had 2 years of a true WR1/WR2 threat before Adams/Rodgers contract situation.

Instead, they just drive a wedge in between themselves and Rodgers, he goes on to back to back MVPs, forcing their hand to extend him, all while continuing to ignore the declining WR skill around him. I mean they lost a top 3-5 WR in the league, and a serviceable number 3 receiver in MVS, and replaced them with the corpse of Sammy Watkins lol.

Beast

I think this year is a blessing, we’ll be able to move on from Rodgers, trim some highly paid veterans that aren’t producing, rid some of the coaching staff that are doing a poor job ( offense and defense and special team coordinators) this will give them a opportunity to see what they have in Love, draft a high grading QB out of college .free up cap space . sign better veteran players it might be a tuff couple of years but but they could be back in the hunt in two years.And none of these move should upset the fan base.

Beast

I think Rodgers, understandably, is upset with the front offices inaction in addressing the talent around him, especially in comparison to moves other teams are making. Also, I think Rodgers tired of hearing everyone saying how great Lafluer is, when he stepped into a NFC Championship caliber team, and has done nothing to elevate them. And seems to take an adversarial role with Rodgers, which is very strange. But I didn’t see this week, nor the NY losses, so not totally up to date on what’s going on.

Rodger kind of tied they’re hands with contract and the NFL cap in my opinion.

Tlazer

Not sure what is up with the Pack, but things need to change. Unfortunately I don’t think we can move on from Rodgers. I’m sure he will be th QB next year since he has a guaranteed contract that pays him 59M dollars. Who wouldn’t play for that much money even if you are losing. I had hoped we would have traded him a year or two ago since we haven’t won the SB anyway and got out from under his contract. Now he is eating up 1/4 of the cap and playing like a third stringer. We did this to ourselves when we we signed him to that huge contract.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a hard time believing that the departure of Davante Adams is the sole reason they are having a poor season. Clearly the WR shelf is empty, but the defense was supposed to be pretty good.

I don’t think Jordan Love is the answer at QB either, but he hasn’t had much of a sample size to prove his worth yet. That day may be coming soon.

MX1825

Rodgers seems to have lost his touch. Throwing 5 yards short on a 10 yard pass has become pretty common. 1 of his interceptions Sunday he bounced the pass off a linemans helmet. Not the receivers fault. Short or long 75% of the time on long passes. Wrong routes and dropped passes are very common also with this WR crew.
    Also the franchise has NO cap room because 4 players eat up the majority of the $$$$. You cannot have the highest paid player in the league at multiple positions and expect to have quality starters and backups. It is time to do a little house cleaning. Just my 2 cents.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Extra Salty LOL

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2022-11-07-at-7.15.27-PM.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Pack fans, what kind of draft capital do you have? After a down year last year next year is supposed to be a real good QB class, possibly 6 taken in the first round.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Like many things, there is no one thing leading to what will be the Packers worse record since the early 2000’s, plenty of blame to go around ( which lucky me I have seen in person this year)

Poor QB Play # 1 and poor decisions
    Injuries at Wide Receiver
    Injuries on the offensive line
    Defense under playing, but playing quite a bit better than the offense ….
    Special teams have not been great

Hard to say what the Packers will do, but if they haven’t already figured it out they are done this season and going nowhere. After they lose to Dallas badly they will no question. I say get Jordan out there and get some experience at this point, and start giving other young players playing time. We are going to lose anyway, might as well have some benefit along the way.

I also think Mr Rogers will retire or demand to be traded ( again) as obviously none of this of his fault ( in his mind only) I am sure I am not the only one that is just tired of the drama …

Paulski

Ripjiggen

I think this year is a blessing, we’ll be able to move on from Rodgers, trim some highly paid veterans that aren’t producing, rid some of the coaching staff that are doing a poor job ( offense and defense and special team coordinators) this will give them a opportunity to see what they have in Love, draft a high grading QB out of college .free up cap space . sign better veteran players it might be a tuff couple of years but but they could be back in the hunt in two years.And none of these move should upset the fan base.

Sounds easy. The pack have also been extremely fortunate two have the last 2 QBs they did. Not counting Love. It may take some time to hit on a QB. That all still depends if Rodgers is back which I think he is.

Ripjiggen

Pack fans, what kind of draft capital do you have? After a down year last year next year is supposed to be a real good QB class, possibly 6 taken in the first round.

Six may be taken but I bet 6 are not NFL starters 3 years from now.

CaptainMusky

Sounds easy. The pack have also been extremely fortunate two draft the last 2 QBs they did. Not counting Love. It may take some time to hit on a QB. That all still depends if Rodgers is back which I think he is.

Except they didnt draft Favre, the Falcons did and they traded for him. Top tier QBs are very rare, but they fact they have had 2 HOF caliber QBs over the course of 30 years is pretty impressive. Only 2 SB to show for it is not however.

Ripjiggen

Yeah meant more having two HOF QBs not necessarily draft. Just meant it is pretty rare and finding the next Super Bowl caliber QB isn’t that easy.
    It is also the reason I don’t think Rodgers walks away.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Erin could walk away, however his massive ego & contract won’t allow it to happen. For better or worse the NFL is stuck with him.

CaptainMusky

Yeah meant more having two HOF QBs not necessarily draft. Just meant it is pretty rare and finding the next Super Bowl caliber QB isn’t that easy.
    It is also the reason I don’t think Rodgers walks away.

Agreed. It really is incredible the QB play they have had for so long. Teams are lucky to have 1 good run with a QB, but they have really had a long time with two of the best.

Gitchi Gummi

there is a reason there is no receivers that stay for long in GB

Davante played 8 years in GB
    Jordy 9 years in GB
    Greg Jennings 7 years in GB
    Donald Driver 14 years in GB
    Cobb played 8 and now is back on year 10 with the Packers

Sorry, what WRs dont like to stay long in GB?

Sylvanboat

Bears fan here. I would love to dance on his grave.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wow, it’s way worse in GB than I thought. They quit tonight. Defense was supposed to be good and they are soft as 10 ply. WR’s hate the QB and not only stop running when Rodgers scrambles, but also on their regular routes. Rodgers also missed a number of WR who did run and were open. And the RBs don’t get the work they should.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

ouch………..looks like Arodge is cooked and a drug addict. the D looks terrible too so good luck next decade!

stevenoak

Packers have had a touch for landing stud quarterbacks. See if they still have the magic. My sister-in-law has been die-hard fan for 60 years. Shareholder, Christmas ornament, all the stuff.
    I’ve been giving her crap for 50 of those years. Best to date. ” Heard hey are retiring Farve’s jersey, the green one or the purple one?” Think I still have a small knot on the back of my head! But the romance is fading, even for her the last few years.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll just leave this here.

Attachments:
    1. Packers-Defense.jpg

stout93
    Becker MN

I didn’t chime in earlier in this thread because I wasn’t ready to give up on them. And after last week, I thought they were primed for a run. And last night, I thought for sure they would come back in the 4th quarter, after a few bad play calls by Tennessee….but yeah, they’re done.

Anyone know the details of the Rodgers contract…cap ramifications, etc…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Statistical models indicate that if the Packers had won last night, they would have had a 20% chance to make the playoffs.

With the loss, its down to 5%.

As Jim Mora stated best, “PLAYOFFS?! I just hope we can win another game!”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.