• Cody Ekstrom
    Norwood Young America, Minnesota

What happened to Otter on Rapala.com.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

That’s a really good question…

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I was told by a distributor that otter was looking to either go it alone or at the least leave Normark. I asked customer service at otter who said “we’ll see” when I questioned the comment that I was told and asked about a lot of the product was out of stock shortly after the new year. I’m just relaying what was said to me, hopefully staff can chime in. I have a bunch of stuff that I’d like to buy from otter regarding shelters and do it separately rather than having to buy the package. Hope that the move mentioned will help.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

Wow, talk about timing….. I was just there looking at the otter boxes and after seeing freak’s post, their site is redesigned.

gonehunting

Any updates. This is interesting.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Otter had a two year distribution agreement with Rapala that ended this year. There was extensive discussions about continuing the relationship but doing so would have meant some sizable increases in cost to the consumer. I’ve been told it would have been in the 20% range. That wasn’t going to fly so the decision was made to not renew the distribution agreement.

And that is the rest of the story. I’m sure some expected something more exciting but it really came down to a pure business decision.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gonehunting wrote:</div>

Otter had a two year distribution agreement with Rapala that ended this year. There was extensive discussions about continuing the relationship but doing so would have meant some sizable increases in cost to the consumer. I’ve been told it would have been in the 20% range. That wasn’t going to fly so the decision was made to not renew the distribution agreement.

And that is the rest of the story. I’m sure some expected something more exciting but it really came down to a pure business decision.

Does this also mean that the Marcum products are more expensive because they have an agreement with Rapala?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gonehunting wrote:</div>

Does this also mean that the Marcum products are more expensive because they have an agreement with Rapala?

MarCum products have not seen any significant increase in pricing since MarCum and Rapala came to a distribution agreement.

gonehunting

Any company that thinks about the consumer pricing has the right game plan. Looking for more great things to come from Otter in the future.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

James, do you think that this will increase item’s availability or won’t that change. Seems like the past couple of years if you didn’t buy the whole house package you couldn’t find frames or shells. From a strictly supply/demand standpoint every time you see something out of stock ultimately can’t be good for business… if someone’s there to buy and you don’t have it, it’s lost income. I wasn’t looking for a soap opera answer, but hope that it helps with items in stock.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, do you think that this will increase item’s availability or won’t that change. Seems like the past couple of years if you didn’t buy the whole house package you couldn’t find frames or shells. From a strictly supply/demand standpoint every time you see something out of stock ultimately can’t be good for business… if someone’s there to buy and you don’t have it, it’s lost income. I wasn’t looking for a soap opera answer, but hope that it helps with items in stock.

It was Otter’s decision to not make the new XT shells available as a stand alone item. I’ve not heard if they plan to make a change regarding those items.

I think the people responsible for sales projections have been underestimating demand for 3 or 4 years now which means there’s been a couple years where the Otter houses were out of stock before Christmas or very early in the season prior to Rapala getting involved. I do know one of Otter’s #1 objectives for the coming year is to make sure product is available deeper into the season and I’m sure they’ll accomplish that goal to some degree.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

Thanks for the quick response, good to hear and glad you were able to shed some light on a topic I found frustrating.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks for jumping in as always James and cutting off the speculation.
    From a consumer of Otter products I hope they do indeed ramp up production. Unless you’re creating design changes every year, which I don’t see as cost efficient, Let stores load up.
    I feel that Eskimo does this and makes up for a lower price in volume and availability.

Just my .02

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.