One eyed chevys

• Brice Thompson

This is not a Ford vs Chevy vs dodge conversation but has anybody else notice the amount of chevys on the road with either a running light out or headlight? I see a lot of tahoes with the running light out.

Coletrain27

chevy had the same issue late 90’s early 2000’s. must of just used cheap bulbs ???

David Blais

That’s because they don’t make it to the repair shop as often 😂

munchy
    NULL

My old 2005 Colorado never had the driver side headlight blow, however the passenger side would go out at least once a year. I’m thinking it has something to do with an unequal resistance between the two sides requiring the one side to “work” harder. And it didn’t matter which bulbs I installed, they all would have about the same lifespan.

toddrun

I know on my Avalanche, it costs well over $100 to replace a $5 bulb. The entire grill has to be removed. Learned from the past, have ALL the bulbs replaced if one is blown, cuz you will likely have to go back at it soon on another bulb. That said, 1 bulb failure on a 10 year old Avalanche, not what I would consider an issue.

bclii
    MN/AZ

This is not a Ford vs Chevy vs dodge conversation but has anybody else notice the amount of chevys on the road with either a running light out or headlight? I see a lot of tahoes with the running light out.

Wow, thought I was the only one who noticed this. In the last 20+ years, or since manufacturers have factory installed them, I’ve seen many GM’s with one the running lights not working. IMO, these lights have been one of the best safety features on vehicles.

bfishn

2014-2015 GMC Sierra headlights are terrible. Its one bulb for everything and they last less than 2 years. I think I’m on my 4th bulbs in my truck after 5.5 years, thankfully they are pretty easy to replace, but still annoying. You can override the daytime running lights, so on long day trips on the interstate, I turn them off to try and save them a bit.

Deuces

Same issues here for years.

That is….until i found full synthetic blinker fluid, havent had any issues since.

Gitchi Gummi

That’s because they don’t make it to the repair shop as often 😂

So you are saying Chevy guys can’t repair a headlight and need to take it in to the shop for that. LOL lol

stevenoak

I just retired from 45 years of auto repair. Wiring has been reduced from 12-14 gauge, to 20 something. Smaller wire doesn’t dissipate the heat. That’s why when you change a bulb. The sockets is usually burnt colored. Heat is the death of anything electrical. With the disassembly needed to some replace bulbs. I would usually replace them all while it was apart. Other than high price headlamp bulbs.$2 bulb could have over $200 labor.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

1997 C1500 needed new bulbs every other month, I forget which side.

2010 Silverado needed one bulb in 5 years I owned it.

2016 Silverado I’ve owned for 2 years has yet to require one but it is LED so long life is expected.

The pattern I usually notice is the vehicles that are all beat up, dirty inside and out, bald tires, etc. typically have one or more bulbs out. This has a lot more to do with the owner of the vehicle rather than the brand, in my opinion.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve had chevys for ever, im on my 8th one I believethe 2 previous I owned for 11 years and had 175K on them when I sole them.
    1990 2500 I replaced both head lights and I think one or two turn signal bulbs.
    2001 2500 I don;t remember replacing and bulbs.
    2012 2500 w/ 135K I last year replaced one front turn signal bulb.

No issues from me on the replacements.

27eyeguy

As stevevoak posted. 12 Silverado with 165k, bulbs went out off n on for about a year, and then one was mostly melted in socket. Replacement wiring harness for both sides from Rock Auto, NO issues so far. Replacements appeared to be made of a heavier gage wire also.

CaptainMusky

I just retired from 45 years of auto repair. Wiring has been reduced from 12-14 gauge, to 20 something. Smaller wire doesn’t dissipate the heat. That’s why when you change a bulb. The sockets is usually burnt colored. Heat is the death of anything electrical.

My wife’s Saturn Outlook burned the sockets out multiple times. I actually kept a new spare socket just because I knew it was to happen. What a PITA too. I just had to replace a bulb on my wife’s Yukon Denali and it was a major PITA. Why can’t they make these more simple tasks? It would have been easier to remove the whole headlight assembly than what I did, but that isnt the most fun exercise either because I did that before.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Had a 2006 Siverado that had the same problem. Drilled an 1/8″ hole in the bottom of the lens to drain the water out and didn’t have a problem afterwards.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Standard general motors issues.

Attachments:
    1. 20210720_194613-scaled.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.