Older outboard help please

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

I have a 1976 Johnson 25hp outboard motor. In the spring had it tuned up, new pump and impeller on it too. Used it several times during the summer on a 16ft flat bottom without any problems. The last few times I went out it started fine, ran to my spot then when I went to leave it would start. Used trolling motor to get back. Get home and it starts right up. Yesterday did same thing, ran for aprox 30m, parked at dock, came back and wouldn’t start. Came back in two hours and starts right up. Seems not to want to start when hot/warm. It is pumping water. Anybody know what this could be? Any help appreciated. Please and Thank you.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I bet it is a vapor lock or deuterating gas line causing junk to block the fuel form getting to the motor.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Is it a tiller? I had a similar problem with my boat when I bought it. The previous owner put a screw thru the wiring harness. Is your breather open on your gas tank?

catnip
    south metro

Could also be a coil shorting out when warm after a heat soak. I have a guy up in oak Grove that can figure it out and get it running better than ever if you can’t or don’t want to. Let me know.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Also could be the fuel is still flowing after you shut it down and it is flooding out. Take the plug out and see if it is wet next time it will not start. I spent a duck season about 20 years ago that I had to swap the plug out or take a lighter to it to get home every time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.