Nipigon a good read

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thanks for the report and pics James!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Clint Eastwood can offer a lesson for all of us…

Attachments:
    1. eastwood.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Meanwhile back at the ranch….

The only thing as good as some of those pike is that beard waytogo

Thanks again Big Pike and James for the write ups. My buddy and I have talked for years of going. Logistics, time, and a love for Rainy Lake keep preventing us. We used to have local connections up there but they may have faded.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

The only thing as good as some of those pike is that beard

Marcus does have a pretty epic beard

jake47
    WI

I wasn’t sure where Nipigon was so I googled it. This video came up…not a lot of substance, but pretty cool to see what it was like 70+ years ago. 2 main takeaways for me: they thumped the fish on the head with a paddle before bringing it in the boat and tiny boats with outboards.

Lake Nipigon Ontario Canada Late 1940’s Fishing Trip

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

That pike was not a big pike. 37 inches or so. I’d guess 13 – 15 lbs fresh off the spawn. My fishing partner caught me with the photo turning toward the camera with the fish held out as I stood to clear it from the net. All my big <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike were held with two hands horizontally. You’d know that if you were there holding the fish. Like I was. Instead you get to cock off online, insinuating a lack of good judgement and ethical treatment of fish with absolutely no firsthand knowledge of the size of the fish or how the fish was actually handled.

Guys like you are why guys like me post less and less online.

Have a nice day.
    [/quote]

Perfectly said. Everyone thinks that a fish being held even for one second vertically is going to die. Yet you always see bass pros braking jaws by grabbing the bottom lip and tilting it sideways with one hand or guys ice fishing and once they get a big walleye or other fish they lay it on the ice to take the hooks out. People who know James understand he is a huge embasitor of fish Conservaion. I will probably get backlash for chiming in but ow well.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

The guys who make those beard measuring shirts should rename one to the ‘Quamly’.
    I love a big gator, but 30 miles one way, yeeesh, gonna need a bigger boat before I ever think about that trip, i’d have to remove all my fishing gear in order make weight to pack enough gas to make it out and back in my little gas guzzler.

Someday.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, you certainly want an economical motor and large fuel tank for runs like that. On our annual fishing trip we run 22 miles to the island we camp on LOW.
    I always bring 2 5 gallon cans of fuel for the trip, but so far haven’t really needed them.
    I have a 41 gallon tank in my boat and after putting both cans of gas in the boat and returning to the access after a week of fishing I had 3/4 tank of gas left. The best thing you can do is find the most efficient RPM for your motor and for the long runs keep it in that range. WOT is certainly going to funnel the fuel in whereas if you dropped 1500 RPM you are probably going within 15% of top speed and using far less fuel.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

If only Jame’s picture would have uploaded sideways… whistling

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Embasitor?

FWIW a 37 inch pike is big and should not be held vertically for an extended period of time, which James didn’t do apparently.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I didn’t think people would melt so hard over my comment, especially James.

Now you’re calling out spelling errors? This isn’t Facebook.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Embasitor?

FWIW a 37 inch pike is big and should not be held vertically for an extended period of time, which James didn’t do apparently.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I didn’t think people would melt so hard over my comment, especially James.

A Large number of well respected anglers have reduced their participation because of short-sighted comments from the Peanut Gallery.
    A well intended comment only becomes more of a insult as the OP continues to defend and harp on the subject.
    coffee

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Without picking sides here let me just say this is part of the reason I’ve stuck around here.

I will also say the being called out on how you hold fish is tough to take no matter how it’s said. A pm is preferred, for me at least.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lets keep the thread on point please.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Lets keep the thread on point please.

When has that ever happened? rotflol

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Keeeping the thread on point… I thought the blog was a fantastic write-up. Nipigon has been a bucket list for me my entire life, mostly for the brookies. Loved to hear the experiences from my WI neighbor bigpike too… It sucked the pictures of the pike James put up were picked on, agree with biggill that comment could have been directed behind the scenes.

Carry on!!!

Mark

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Not a trophy but nice fish and back on point lol. Caught 15 feet of water during a mayfly hatch throwing spring dogs walleye pattern working fairly fast. This time of the year is awesome for big pike with this pattern. It’s not a numbers game but you can get giants if you stick with it.

Attachments:
    1. 20170630_195208.jpg

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Can’t believe the bs james puts up with. Side note my wife posted a picture of her chicken coop on a website forum for chickens she has a blog as her email address people are attacking her for promoting her blog some people are really tough behind a keyboard

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.