New updated reports.

• trophy185
    Zumbrota

Have a trip set with me and my son just after Christmas, Any report on how fishing has been? We have 3 dads and 4 kids, looking to see how the activity is doing on the lake. Kids like action we all know.. Please post some reports on how the activity has been on Red this Year.

Hook set! (fish on)

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0312.jpg

Troy R

I was up this weekend (Went out of JR’s), and fished anywhere from 9-14ft. They were down there, but the bite was pretty slow. We caught 8 total for the day, and all bit on anything red. Same lure different color produced nothing.

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

Just returned from Red yesterday. We had two adults and 3 kids between 5-7yrs old. We got on the ice Saturday around 12 noon and left yesterday at 10:00am. Had lines down by 1:00. First fish at 1:10pm. We fished away from the crowds in 15-16 ft of water. Lots of mixed reports when talking to other groups on shore.

We caught approximately 25-30 walleyes outside of the protected slot and 5-8 overs. Biggest was 19″ and missed another 10-15 fish. Kids had a blast and kept us busy -)

When we went to shore to cook up our fish Saturday night, we heard a little bit of everything. Some groups 1-2 bites, some about the same as us and some in between. The overall vibe was that the bite had slowed down since Friday. For us, all but one fish was caught on a set line with single red hook and a split shot. I Jigged the whole time and only got one fish to commit. But, on shore we heard some groups had the majority of their fish jigging – so who knows, maybe it depends on the area you are fishing. I feel the key to our success was staying away from the crowds and having lines spread out. (we had 4 heated boxes that allowed us to spread out our lines) Fish bit on shinners, rainboes and fatheads. Fishing was pretty consistent, I would say a bite every 10-15 min and we had to leave some lines up after midnight to get some sleep. Good luck and enjoy the tremendous fishery and sharing it with kids.

Attachments:
    1. Red.jpg

2. Red2.jpg

trophy185
    Zumbrota

Thanks for the updated report. We are going out of Rogers and also going to search for deeper water without the crowds. We are all excited to drill that fist hole. I hope to report back with lots of fish and good memories.

Swivel digger
    NULL

Been fishing since about 1 pm Friday with wife and 2 daughters. Not quite 70 fish so far. 13 feet of water way off by ourselves where it’s quiet. Went out of red lake adventures. Daytime is sporadic but night time is game on. Had to pull up rattle reels last night because wife and kids wanted sleep after 11:30. Started trying to fish quietly at 5 and it was crazy until sunrise.

trophy185
    Zumbrota

Swivel,

Are you fishing the south end or North end? Want to put these kids on fish to get them hooked! Sounds like a great bite. Kid and I are excited to head north…

Thanks everyone for your help…

Swivel digger
    NULL

Trophy,
    I was out of Red Lake Adventures. Sorry it took so long to reply just checked the forum again. It was a little slower overnight last night but it picked up again this morning until we left. Hope you get the kids on some fish. Rainbows were working good for us. Good luck

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Just got back yesterday from Red. Spent 4 nights on the ice. Mainly a late afternoon and night bite for us. Red hooks under a bobber and pink/white jigs worked the best for us. Only caught a few jigging, the rest bobber or rattle reels. Only used fatheads as we couldn’t find any shiners.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Did you check with West Wind on Shiners?

We stopped in Deer River on the way up and got some first. Shiners on our deadsticks was very good action even hit the line as you dropped it down. Once we knew they worked ran back into West Wind and picked up another two scoops ran out of Shiners by the next morning and did not stay on the lake.

Fishing was really good fished 8ft of water and 12ft ended up with two crappies on Saturday morning. Heading back up on the 31st we did not have anyone within a mile or more of us.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.