new hunting boot recommendation

• Michael Best

I see you bought some boots. I hope you like them.
    The Danner Pronghorns were a great boot till about 15 years ago when they started making them in China.
    2 of the best boots I have worn are Crispi summit and lows cevendale.
    The Crispi boots didn’t need much to break them in.
    I ordered a wide in both since they have a narrow toe box.

Another option that was pretty good but I would label them a hiking boot on steroids is the Salomon Quest 4D boots. They have a wider toe box than other boots. One year I forgot my hunting boots for a mule deer hunt in Utah. I hit up REI in Grand Junction and bout a pair of Salomon Quest. Threw them on and hunted above timberline for 2 weeks. Never had an issue.

Every year after hunting season I scrub my boots and treat them with NikWax. This fall will be the 7th year I have worn my Crispi boots and I don’t even want to guess how many miles are on them. It is a lot that is fore sure.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I noticed that the laces seem kind of cheap with the Danners. Any thoughts on this? They are the round style that I don’t care for. They seem to come undone too often. May need to upgrade laces on these.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I see you bought some boots. I hope you like them.
    The Danner Pronghorns were a great boot till about 15 years ago when they started making them in China.
    2 of the best boots I have worn are Crispi summit and lows cevendale.
    The Crispi boots didn’t need much to break them in.
    I ordered a wide in both since they have a narrow toe box.

Another option that was pretty good but I would label them a hiking boot on steroids is the Salomon Quest 4D boots. They have a wider toe box than other boots. One year I forgot my hunting boots for a mule deer hunt in Utah. I hit up REI in Grand Junction and bout a pair of Salomon Quest. Threw them on and hunted above timberline for 2 weeks. Never had an issue.

Every year after hunting season I scrub my boots and treat them with NikWax. This fall will be the 7th year I have worn my Crispi boots and I don’t even want to guess how many miles are on them. It is a lot that is fore sure.

The Salomon Quests were amazing boots up until a few years ago and then they changed. Fit seemed narrower, and they fell apart very fast compared to my previous pair. It seems like this was a pretty well known issue, and many people had to find new options.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well I bought a new pair of Danner hunting boots today

What model Danner did you end up going with?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What model Danner did you end up going with?

Alsea insulated 600 gram in Mossy Oak camo pattern

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I noticed that the laces seem kind of cheap with the Danners. Any thoughts on this? They are the round style that I don’t care for. They seem to come undone too often. May need to upgrade laces on these.

I make my own boot stings with paracord. Seems to last longer. I cut a length a little longer then the factory boot strings and singe the ends with a Bic lighter and that’s been working well for me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Good to know, Steve. Thanks

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Alsea insulated 600 gram in Mossy Oak camo pattern

Cool looks like they are on sale. You bird hunt with that much insulation?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Cool looks like they are on sale. You bird hunt with that much insulation?

The Rockies I have had were 500 grams of insulation. I don’t bird hunt until November when deer gun season is over so my bird hunting is generally in cooler/colder temps. I also use my boots for deer and turkey hunting so it needs to be an all purpose boot. I wear synthetic moisture wicking socks when I am walking and heavier wool socks when I am sitting for turkey or deer hunting.

The Rockies I had started to soak up water this past season. They lasted 5 seasons and served their purpose but I want to try something else this time around.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The Rockies I have had were 500 grams of insulation. I don’t bird hunt until November when deer gun season is over so my bird hunting is generally in cooler/colder temps. I also use my boots for deer and turkey hunting so it needs to be an all purpose boot. I wear synthetic moisture wicking socks when I am walking and heavier wool socks when I am sitting for turkey or deer hunting.

Gotcha, it would be nice to run a more comfortable boot deer hunting.

Michael Best

When sitting still in a stand the best thing I have found for keeping my feet warm are the artic shield boot blankets. They are the best $40 investment I have made for warm feet.

I don’t even own a pair of insulated boots anymore. I just wear my uninsulated Crispi boots and when I get to stand I throw the boot blankets on over them. If temps are below zero I will throw in a pair of feet warmers.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve got those boot covers. They’re kinda bulky but they work. I haven’t used them in a few years though. I only deer hunt during gun season and it just hasn’t been that cold in early November lately.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.