new hunting boot recommendation

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am in need of a new pair of hunting boots before next season. I am currently on year 6 of my Rocky Cornstalkers and they are showing signs of wear and tear.

I use these for deer, spring turkey, and pheasant hunting so they need to be an all-purpose boot. I need up to 500 grams of insulation and obviously waterpoof.

Rocky Boots have generally met my criteria and lasted for 5 full seasons. I’m open to trying something else. A friend of mine has Irish Setters. I was looking at the Terrain model in 400 grams.

Thanks in advance

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve never worn that specific boot, but the older I get…the more I follow the adage of “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.”

If I get 5 years out of a boot and the same one is made at that price point still, I’d be all over it without question.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Danner pronghorns are my go to boot. I have another one for turkey Danner style but cannot remember the exact name. Use my Pronghorn for everything from Elk to shed hunting best boot and comfort and they last forever.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m partial, and biased, to Red Wing/Irish Setters. My Wingshooters are the most comfortable footwear I’ve ever owned, and would be great for most of your uses, but probably a little cold for deer hunting. I have some 800 mg one’s that are a discontinued model, that closely resemble the Terrains and those have been great as well.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Danner pronghorns are my go to boot. I have another one for turkey Danner style but cannot remember the exact name. Use my Pronghorn for everything from Elk to shed hunting best boot and comfort and they last forever.

X2 on Danner pronghorns. I have a pair that are 1200G that I use for cold weather hunting and ice fishing and a 400G that I use when upland hunting. Both are excellent and have lasted me a rather long time. I bet I’m over 10 years on the 1200’s and probably close to 10 years om the 400’s.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The retail stores nearest me (Cabela’s and Scheels) carry both Danner and Irish Setter. I will give them both a try on my feet. Thanks for the suggestions.

CaptainMusky

I have Danners and love them, but they cheaped out years ago and no longer make them like they used to. Mine have the stitched on soles while now much of them are glued on and I am not a fan of that. My Danners are really wore out and I Need to send them in to have them recrafted (you cannot do this with many of their newer models) but it isnt cheap. It will run me like $185 or something which is nearly the cost of new boots, but they are just not the same anymore.

Jake
    Brainerd

check out the Kenetrek mountain extremes, I’m on year 6 and they still have lots of life left. They have uninsulated, 400, and 1000 gram I believe.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like my Crispi Nevada boots. Great for bow season deer and turkey hunting.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

For me I can’t chase brands/models. I have to choose what fits.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I’m currently running Crispi Colorado GTX when it’s warmer out, and Salomon Tundra Pro’s when it’s colder including in the treestand during late season. The Crispi’s may be a little stiff feeling for some, but one of my favorites to date. Sadly I’m pretty sure the Salomons are being discontinued. Glad I picked up a spare pair earlier this year! They both are extremely waterproof, and I have close to a thousand miles on the Salomons in a couple years and they’re still in great shape. If you feel like branching out from the usual brands watch steapandcheap, camofire, and blackovis for boot sales. You can get some pretty good deals on the next level of boots if you watch these sites.

In the past I’ve had good luck with Lowa, Salomon, Crispi, and Oboz. What ever you do stay away from Lacroses. I had both the Lodestar and the Windrose. Both fell apart and started sucking up water in the same shed season. I bet I didn’t get 300 miles out of both pairs combined.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Bought a pair of kenetrek mtn extremes last winter. Broke them in all spring and summer and wore them strictly for upland birds in mn and Montana. Unbelievable. I bought the middle insulation (think 400g) ones and plan to buy a pair of uninsulated in the future. They are awesome and seem durable – time will tell.

They also come in wide and narrow which is a nice option.

slough

Also a fan of Kenetreks. Not cheap but can find them $100 off or so at times. Scheels should carry them if you want to try on.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wing shooters are just like every other Irish setter, Chinese and fall apart at the seams. They used to be us made but not in a while. Very overpriced. I’ve burned through a few pairs in under 4 months and quit buying them. You can get the identical wolverines for 86 bucks and they will last just as long. I wouldn’t touch another Irish setter either. I like a couple different pairs of danners and currently running crispi for bird hunting. Definitely not the same boot I use deer hunting.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with Suzuki. Get all the recommendations for what works for others, but you have to buy what fits you.

Boot fit changes as well, so even if you like a certain boot in the past, a new version or changes in manufacturing may make it not fit when you go to get a new pair.

For all-purpose boots, I have had great mileage out of 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns. Some will say Pronghorns are not that durable, but I have not found that to be the case and I’m willing to sacrafice because I LOVE how lightweight they are. Like wearing Nike tennis shoes in the cattails.

Lots of guys swear by the Kennetrek Mountain Guide 400 as the ultimate multi-season boot. Kennetrek has a awesome product, brace yourself for the prices, but many will tell you they also last a lot longer.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hoyt4 wrote:</div>

X2 on Danner pronghorns. I have a pair that are 1200G that I use for cold weather hunting and ice fishing and a 400G that I use when upland hunting. Both are excellent and have lasted me a rather long time. I bet I’m over 10 years on the 1200’s and probably close to 10 years om the 400’s.

For you Danner guys, did either of you look at the Vital, seems a little lighter than the Pronghorn and a bit cheaper.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For you Danner guys, did either of you look at the Vital, seems a little lighter than the Pronghorn and a bit cheaper.

I have not. I have not looked at Boots for a rather long time now. I’ll have to take a look at them the next time I’m in need of new boots

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Kennetrek has a awesome product, brace yourself for the prices, but many will tell you they also last a lot longer.

WOW – You were not kidding. I had never heard of them so I took a look. At 535.00 they have to be near the top end of hunting boot prices. In my younger days when I did a ton more hunting they may have been worth it, but not these days.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have Danners and love them, but they cheaped out years ago and no longer make them like they used to

So sad but really true on a lot of once great products. Corporate Greed will be the death of a lot of once great companies.

Hoyt4
    NULL

My Danners have not failed me yet . Replaced my 15 year old pronghorn 5 years ago and they are still going strong with no issues and I use the heck out of them. I think my other Danners are simialer to the vital mentioned above. They have been great to.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Hunting boots are a wear item, just like tires on a truck. The more you wear them, the quicker they wear out. Get something comfortable that works for you. Pronghorns and wingshooters are the best known, I have a pair of pronghorns and two pairs of wingshooters. I’ll get about 3 years out of a boot in my rotation and then they’re pretty much cashed in, with the seams starting to come apart. I haven’t gotten into European mountain boots for flatland bird hunting yet, although they seem extremely popular. There’s been recent reports of Crispi’s falling apart after a season, although just something I read on the internet. I bought a pair of Thorogood moc work boots and they’ve got a great reputation. They really don’t fit ME well, I needed to use a shoe stretcher on them. I think you nailed it when you said trying them on in person is vital.

CaptainMusky

The Vitals are just one of the many Danner models that have the glued on soles and are not recraftable. They would get a hard pass from me. They will not last long IMO.

Reef W

I really liked my Danner Alsea but several of the fabric lace loops have broken and a few more look like they’re close to. I dont take good care of them but still seems weird, they’re the first boots where this has happened so I won’t be getting them again.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

On the kenetrek mountain extreme very tough and good wearing boot. I use 400 gram

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well I hopped on Scheels website and they had Irish Setter Pinnacle 9inch 400 gram boots on sale for $99.00 free shipping on orders over $75.00. For that price I hope they fit well and work good for a few years. I don’t put a lot of miles on my field boots, my old Rocky’s have to be 15-20 years old.

Ben K.

Love the Danner Vitals that I bought in 2020. Super comfortable and light. I’ve worn these for all of my outdoor activities here in MN and Wisconsin, and 3 full weeks in the mountains putting on miles. No durability issues yet. I doubt they’ll last like a pair of heavy duty workboots or hiking boots, but I see that as a trade off for the light weight and comfort.

Brad Dimond

Boot fit changes as well, so even if you like a certain boot in the past, a new version or changes in manufacturing may make it not fit when you go to get a new pair.

I’ve experienced this to the point that when I find a shoe or boot that I really like, I immediately purchase another pair. My wife scoffed but now does the same thing. We have a storage closet half-full of shoe and boot boxes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well I bought a new pair of Danner hunting boots today. They had Danner and Irish Setter in my size, and the associate said the Danner might be a little better. Price was negligible.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We’ll see how these hold up. The Rockies served their purpose for almost 6 seasons.

John VanDerLaan

I love my Crispi Guide GTX boots. I have also had great luck with the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots. Both are expensive, but have lasted many years for me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.