Birch Lake near Ely?

• b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Anyone have experience on this lake or any general knowledge? Renting a houseboat with my family over the weekend so it won’t be a lot of fishing, but I would still like to pack a rod or two and chase some smallmouth if there is a decent population.

Just wondering what the water is like and if there is are smallies worth chasing.

Thanks!

d-train

I was up there camping last year and it wasn’t too hard to find walleyes but I think the size structure in the lake is smaller, similar to the Duluth area reservoirs. For walleyes check out the wind blown points. Sorry I can’t help with smallies, but you might want to check in with Bite Me Bait in Babbitt. If I remember right the smallie population is relatively new in this lake. Also watch out there are a lot of prop rocks out there. I saw a guy launch before me and take out his prop and/or lower unit, plus tilt. After I saw that I motored out using the bowmount until I was well away from the launch.

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

thanks guys…Its a houseboat weekend, but I am renting a canoe to bring along as well, so my deep water attempts will be limited, just hoping to find a decent shallow water bite in the low light hours.

HYBES
    SE MN

From my experience there it was walleyes,walleyes,walleyes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.