hog hunting question?

• TeamBurbot

Has anyone been on a hog hunt? Where did you go?….And how much did it cost? i am looking for a outfitier. and want to hear what you thought about your hunt.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have never done it, but my dad used to talk about the hog hunts he went on, in the 50’s when he was stationed in Hawaii…. sounded like a blast

lick

We went to Tennesee quite a few years ago. Ran them with dogs can’t remember what it cost It was a brutal workout chasing them around But we did get 6 for 6 in one day with Ken Moody FYI the meat was horrible

http://www.kenmoody.com/clarkrange.htm

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve got a friend who goes to Texas every year. It’s not much of a sporting event. It’s high fenced, but like 50,000 acres. So it’s not like they are shooting them in corral either. However, the hogs are so thick they literally run out of arrows and just pick up whats on the ground and shoot them. To them, it’s about filling the freezer. They do not refer to it as a hunt.

In my opinion, if you want a real trophy boar, head out east or possibly Michigan for the wild Russian boars. That to me would be a very cool hunt.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

We went to Tennesee quite a few years ago. Ran them with dogs can’t remember what it cost It was a brutal workout chasing them around But we did get 6 for 6 in one day with Ken Moody FYI the meat was horrible

Those are very cool mounts Pat. What weapon of choice did you use to hunt them?

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

I hunted Mississippi a long time ago. Hunt was with dogs. Big learning experience for me, I figured we would let dogs loose, wait for dogs to corner pig, walk up and shoot pig. Far from it, funny how opinions change when you acutally do it.
    Also hunted Texas 3 times and killed a bunch of pigs. Like Kooty said, not much of a hunt, it was more of a shoot. Guy we hunted with just wanted every pig on the property killed. Have some friends that have been on “real” pig hunts in TX, will try find some info for ya. Working on a Javalina hunt this winter, always wanted to stick an arrow through one of those!

lick

Quote:

Quote:

Mike I shot my with a bow The Mrs shot hers with a gun

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike I shot my with a bow The Mrs shot hers with a gun

Cool! You said the meat was terrible…why? Was it prepared wrong or just the way they are?

lick

The butcher there did a terrible job

And these hogs were chased by dogs for about 8-10 hours I don’t think that helped

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

GMAN should be able to point you in the right direction. He usually goes hogging every saturday night

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

GMAN should be able to point you in the right direction. He usually goes hogging every saturday night

Now that is funny!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

If I had a $ 1 for everytime you said something stupid I would be rich

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

And what’s really impressive he lassos them with a rope!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I don’t care who you are…that’s funny right there!

lick

Quote:

You obviously haven’t seen Jasons GF

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Went to TX (South Hills Ranch) a couple times a few years back during February. Southwest of San Antonio. It was a couple thousand acre high fenced ranch. We archery hunted over corn feeders morning and evening and tried spot and stalk midday. The hogs had been hunted for about a month by then and the bigger hogs were very weary. I don’t see this any different than sitting on a bear bait besides the fact there are lots of pigs running around and you know they are there. One of the trips I didn’t shoot a hog in 3 days of hunting. I remember one night, I had a nice 12pt and two 8pt bucks standing at 12 yards and I tried to scare them away before they ate up the corn. They wouldn’t leave. The big hogs would come in and circle to get down wind and wouldn’t present a shot if they smelled you. I think the going rate was about $175 a day for hunting, a nice bunk house with kitchen, and a BBQ to use. We would fly into SA rent cars and pick up food on the way to the ranch. We boned out the meat and froze it heavy duty plastic bags in 50 lb chunks. then when we flew home we wrapped it up in our sleeping bags in our duffles and it would still be frozen when we got home. The meat was very good. I shot a 150lb blonde colored Russian one trip and the Rancher talked me into getting a rug made out of it. Pretty cool, but I probably should have my head examined after that move.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Thats pretty cool looking I’ve never seen a hog rug before. It sounds like a fun hunt

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Very cool rug Super Do!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.