Minnesota DNR or is it Me?

• Matt Waste

Is it just me, or does it seem like the conservation efforts in Minnesota lack behind everywhere else around us? Nd, Sd, Wi, Ontario, Manitoba, etc. I never see them here and comparatively speaking, our fisheries just don’t seem as good as they should be. Littering fines, over possession tickets, etc. If the DNR can generate more money by keeping sportsman inline and turn around and use that for stocking/slot efforts, I think would help. Whenever I travel to LOW, or any of the above mentioned areas I have great success with little knowledge of area’s, while here at home, unless I head north, the fishing is just ok, I live around the st francis/Isanti area and can easily find decent panfish bites, but Walleye beyond sunrise, sunset is sporadic at best and panfish quality very greatly.

What would you guys think of going barbless like Manitoba? Limiting the development of lakeshore properties, push for better stocking efforts, just spitballing ideas and haven’t put much thought into this until yesterday leaving Green lake and seeing fellow fisherman acting like children. Parking behind people blocking them in, fighting over parking spaces, I was embarrassed to be there.

Am I turning into an old timer here or do I have a case here? I mean I’ve watched with my own eyes as fisheries have collapsed, and I think even with a growing sport/pressure there are things that can be done to keep these lakes in good shape.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If the DNR can generate more money by keeping sportsman inline and turn around and use that for stocking/slot efforts, I think would help.

I agree, but one thing I’m sure I’ll get some heat for, is that LEO’s were never intended to be a profit earning business. I know it’s shift that direction but their purpose is to PREVENT crimes from happening. Putting more LEO’ out there should help reduce illegal activities, not putting more money in there funds…

There, I said it. Lol.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Could be you, but I think there’s something to be said about the DNR’s policies. Minnesota’s panfish and walleye limits are archaic and were instituted at a time when the fishing population (and general population) was much lower and long before the revolutionary pieces of technology like the gps lake maps, side imaging, and now livescope.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say the whole state should institute barbless hooks, etc. Better lake surveys, stocking efforts, and definitely more accountability (through conservation officers) would be the better answers in my opinion.

stjoeguy

Barbless? I’m all for it. Less lakeshore development? Good luck. More stocking? Cost money (taxes), again, good luck. Lower limits? Sure, just not where I want to fish. The DNR is between a rock and a hard spot. No matter what they do or don’t do, someone’s going to complain about it.

Lakes change. Climate, better fishing technology, everyone has livescope, a side-by-side, ice castle, electric auger, underwater camera. Then there’s zebra mussels and other invasive species. It’s a wonder there are any fish left!

I’m not sure if you’re becoming an old timer, but you’re definitely remembering a simpler time. Welcome to my world!

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

They could fund some of the above mentioned ideas with a second rod stamp? Maybe do what Ontario does and have a conservation license option for smaller limits and a more expensive license for the normal limits?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Maybe do what Ontario does and have a conservation license option for smaller limits and a more expensive license for the normal limits?

MN already does have a conservation license, cost less…allows 1/2 limit.

I live around the st francis/Isanti area and can easily find decent panfish bites, Walleye beyond sunrise, sunset is sporadic at best and panfish quality very greatly.
    I mean I’ve watched with my own eyes as fisheries have collapsed, and I think even with a growing sport/pressure there are things that can be done to keep these lakes in good shape.

I’m not sure what you’re complaining about here. Or maybe not sure what your expectations are. Times are always changing as they will continue but I think there’s a misconception on how great it was years ago. You’re fortunate if you can easily find a decent panfish bite, it wasn’t always that way years ago. Walleye bite on some lakes will always be a low light window now just as it was 50 years ago.

It’s unfortunate that you witnessed some bad behavior from some immature anglers, but that’s not necessarily a sign of the times as bad behavior goes back generations.

I do understand though that we should always look for ways to improve our outdoors experiences.

Gilgetter

The DNR is underfunded and short staffed, they don’t have the resources they need to cover what they have let alone step up enforcement efforts. There are several open stations in the state and 1 CO covers large areas and they are spread thin. Aside from that, they are not tax collectors. The fines would be minuscule in comparison to the cost of the extra stocking etc. that you mentioned.

Barbless Hooks wouldn’t bother me in the least. It matters little with the exception of a few lures like jigging raps.

Lake shore development is pretty far gone to change much.

I think it all comes down to personal responsibility. We as sportsman don’t have to keep every fish we catch. We can practice catch and release/selective harvest. We can pick up our own trash, (as well as the trash from others) we can join your local lakes/sportsman’s club, help improve habitat, build wood duck boxes, etc.

Bottom line, common sense isn’t all that common anymore and many many people are poor Sportsman. Too many people are selfish and they treat our natural resources like they belong to them alone, all they do is take, take, take and then complain when it’s gone.

People that take over limits, leave trash on the lake, act like baboons at the ramp, wanton waste etc. will never change and no amount of fines will make them.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The MN lottery was developed to fund DNR. But just like the social security find the damn politicians just keep dipping into it as they see fit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Weekly MN CO Reports

I have a feeling our DNR will continue to take the pulse of the public and if we continue to ask for more restrictive regulations well, I’m sure they will be happy to oblige the majority.

Matt Waste

Thanks for the replies fellas. I believe personal responsibility is the biggest factor in what I view as a problem. Respect for the resources should be the absolute most important part of the outdoors, IMO. Some of the stuff we see out there blows my mind. I think going barbless would make a difference, and would probably save the DNR money in the long run as fish survival after release would increase. I do think limits should be re-evaluated and now with how far artificial mounts have come, nobody should be taking trophies from the water. Artificial’s look better and last longer… I know things change with time but in 30 years of fishing, and fishing a lot, I’ve never encountered a game warden in Mn and I live here. But I have had encounters everywhere else except SD. Wi, Canada, Nd, Ak, and Ca. If our DNR is in such bad shape financially isn’t there something we can do to get the morons in St. Paul to help? Or even us as outdoorsman? Does the DNR allow volunteer work to help?

Hearteater

Most lakes I fish the recreational pressure is insane. Snowmobiles, jet skis, wake boats etc. Recreational use of lakes is fine to an extent but what are lakes meant for? Are they a habitat for fish and other wildlife or are they a void puddle to buzz fancy toys on? Do the recreational users pay their fair share? What license do they need to utilize access and the lake itself? Is everyone paying their fair share or are sportsman subsidizing recreational users like occurs so much with public land?

Jensen

I know things change with time but in 30 years of fishing, and fishing a lot, I’ve never encountered a game warden in Mn and I live here. But I have had encounters everywhere else except SD. Wi, Canada, Nd, Ak, and Ca.?

Just because they never approached you does not mean that they are not watching. Have you seen the scopes the CO’s use? They can see for miles. As for overlimits, littering and other abuse that will not change until very stiff fines are in place and even then it probably won’t stop the nutjobs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Most lakes I fish the recreational pressure is insane. Snowmobiles, jet skis, wake boats etc.

I think most of us have experienced an overload of recreational boating traffic at some point. I got so sick of it too I wanted to puke. But instead of bitching and complaining, I decided to simply avoid it. It has proven to be very effective not only to avoid recreational boaters but has also proven to increase successful fishing trips.

1) Fish more during the week
    2) Fish during inclement weather – clouds and rain are your friend, plus it often results in better fishing
    3) Fish at night

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hearteater wrote:</div>
    Most lakes I fish the recreational pressure is insane. Snowmobiles, jet skis, wake boats etc.

I think most of us have experienced an overload of recreational boating traffic at some point. I got so sick of it too I wanted to puke. But instead of bitching and complaining, I decided to simply avoid it. It has proven to be very effective not only to avoid recreational boaters but has also proven to increase successful fishing trips.

1) Fish more during the week
    2) Fish during inclement weather – clouds and rain are your friend, plus it often results in better fishing
    3) Fish at night

Recreational traffic is absurd, I agree. However, we have to be careful about lumping all recreational boaters in as part of the issue. I own a 23′ tritoon and contribute to the recreational traffic. With that being said I rarely exceed about 15mph, require PFD’s, don’t create a large wake, and am extremely mindful of any people fishing or boating in general. With a short 15 minute ride on the river I can be somewhere where I can barely see another boat on a sunny Saturday afternoon. If I cannot get away from crowds, I simply don’t go. It’s the same reason I don’t go to a mall on a Saturday in December. The biggest issues with recreational boats are how they are used, the idea that they often congregate (sand bar/island parties, close to popular areas, etc.), and lack of enforcement. Has anyone ever heard of someone being ticketed for what their wake causes outside of a no wake zone?!? I’ve been frequenting Pool 4 and 5 for over 20 years multiple times per week and have yet to hear of it. You could write a pile of tickets just anchoring in front of the most popular party spots on a weekend afternoon.

I do think the registration fee for boats should be on a sliding scale based on value, or moreso than it is already. Something more similar to automobile registration would be logical. I find it hard to believe that the 17′ fishing boats are causing the same wear and tear with shoreline erosion, docks, landings, etc. as the giant cruisers or wake boats with substantially higher values. As everyone else has said, keep the funds allocated to the resources they are derived from. A fishing boat’s registration should go towards things that directly relate to fishing…not widening an access on Minnetonka so that a 45′ cruiser can be dropped in more conveniently.

Also, please whatever you do…do not fish during the week. It’s a terrible thing.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Hmmm, barbless hooks keep being brought up but will they work any better then circle hooks. Will there be fewer gullet hooked fish? And unless anglers have knowledge and the will to safely know how to get a deep hook out – will barbless do much. I’ve never used barbless except on stream trout? Have those supporting this actually used them while someone else in the same boat, same bait was using barbed hooks? Seems to me(and I haven’t tried it, I’ll still need to use my deep hooked methods? Prove me wrong LOL

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Has anyone ever heard of someone being ticketed for what their wake causes outside of a no wake zone?!?

This is in fact the only time in 22 years I have been pulled over or checked by law enforcement (fishing or hunting). My Father and I were going through a no/minimum wake zone in a 16 foot boat with a 25 hp outboard and the water patrol pulled him over. He was making a small wake but evidently not a minimum wake. He got a verbal warning, but no citation. Also checked registration, PFDs, and throwable. It was many years ago and in May before many of the recreational boats were on the water.

Gilgetter

Most lakes I fish the recreational pressure is insane. Snowmobiles, jet skis, wake boats etc. Recreational use of lakes is fine to an extent but what are lakes meant for? Are they a habitat for fish and other wildlife or are they a void puddle to buzz fancy toys on? Do the recreational users pay their fair share? What license do they need to utilize access and the lake itself? Is everyone paying their fair share or are sportsman subsidizing recreational users like occurs so much with public land?

That is an interesting point of view regarding recreational use of lakes. Never thought about it much. I will say that what we pay for a fishing license in MN is pretty cheap. If you compare it to other forms of entertainment if you go twice a year you probably broke even.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

will say that what we pay for a fishing license in MN is pretty cheap.

This is absolutely true. For me to only pay 13 bucks for a conservation angling license and be able to fish 30+ times a year between April and October is down right ridiculous. That comes out to a cost of 40 cents each time.

Gilgetter

I fish weekly if not more often. I buy the husband and wife license. I think it’s $40.00 Never averaged it out per trip but I pay 34.00 for a few days of slug season.

Matt Waste

Hmmm, barbless hooks keep being brought up but will they work any better then circle hooks. Will there be fewer gullet hooked fish? And unless anglers have knowledge and the will to safely know how to get a deep hook out – will barbless do much. I’ve never used barbless except on stream trout? Have those supporting this actually used them while someone else in the same boat, same bait was using barbed hooks? Seems to me(and I haven’t tried it, I’ll still need to use my deep hooked methods? Prove me wrong LOL

Makes a big difference. Especially if you have ever been hooked, you know this to be absolutely true. The hook slides out when barbless, when fish get hooked deep/gills it’s much easier to remove. Biggest downfall is catching is harder and you need bait buttons to keep live bait on your hook.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

They are called Public Access’ for just that reason…. they are Public. I have no love whatsoever for jet ski’s, wake boats etc. But they have the right to use our lakes the same as I do. Maybe they don’t like my 19 ft fishing boat with the 150 hp motor or my ice house or me taking my 4 wheeler on the ice. Everybody has to learn courtesy, patience and tolerance. One group of “sporstmen” doesn’t and shouldn’t have the right to dictate what others do if it doesn’t fit their agenda. If the pontoon partyers wand to congregate in the shallows and have their fun then let em do it. At least they’re not out on the big part of the lake causing traffic jams. Just my 2 cents worth… Enjoy our lakes… its a great way to meet new people and make new friends.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They are called Public Access’ for just that reason…. they are Public. I have no love whatsoever for jet ski’s, wake boats etc. But they have the right to use our lakes the same as I do. Maybe they don’t like my 19 ft fishing boat with the 150 hp motor or my ice house or me taking my 4 wheeler on the ice. Everybody has to learn courtesy, patience and tolerance. One group of “sporstmen” doesn’t and shouldn’t have the right to dictate what others do if it doesn’t fit their agenda. If the pontoon partyers wand to congregate in the shallows and have their fun then let em do it. At least they’re not out on the big part of the lake causing traffic jams.

I don’t think recreational users at the public access is the problem he’s trying to point out. Its the hazardous, no-respect use on the water. Recreational boaters often take longer at the access than others, yes. But their lack of respect creating monster wakes, zipping past on jet skis, and other blaring loud rap music is what I take offense to. I don’t participate in any of that questionable behavior geared towards others on the water, and that’s how I would expect to be treated in return.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

This is the reality. IMO, fishing is no longer the number one activity on lakes any more…and that means our pull becomes less and less each year.

ajw

You already have way more laws and regulations than nearly any other state ive recreated in. Why do people continually think more laws is the answer. I’d start with enforcing the ones you have on the books better.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d start with enforcing the ones you have on the books better.

I think most people would agree with this. Which means more COs and Water Patrols out there.

Rick Janssen

Here is a IOWA view – I WISH IA would do as much as MN. We are even further behind. The one thing I notice between IA and MN is basically the view of the people. When I come to MN to fish, I have the OPINION that MN people want to eat more fish than Iowa people. It is their RIGHT to eat as much as possible. I like the barbless idea and do that when I fish in Canada, but I don’t think that would solve much as long as people feel the need to always bring home their limit to eat. I hear people complain all the time that I won’t fish if I can only bring home one fish (or what ever the limit). Because Iowa fishing is not as big hear, I don’t hear that as often, and to be honest it is hard to catch your “limit” in a number of places here. I still get those funny looks from people both in Iowa and MN when I tell them I return many more fish that I eat. You know – “if the limit is 25 Bluegills, WHY would you not bring home 25 Bluegills??” I think that is a big factor. Laws are not going to fix the problem.

Matt Waste

You already have way more laws and regulations than nearly any other state ive recreated in. Why do people continually think more laws is the answer. I’d start with enforcing the ones you have on the books better.

I agree, except for the barbless issue. I think that would be beneficial. Unfortunately some people won’t quite get it until they experience a punishment for poor behavior. I forget who above said it, but respect for the resources and others seems to be the primary issue.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slowpoke wrote:</div>
    They are called Public Access’ for just that reason…. they are Public. I have no love whatsoever for jet ski’s, wake boats etc. But they have the right to use our lakes the same as I do. Maybe they don’t like my 19 ft fishing boat with the 150 hp motor or my ice house or me taking my 4 wheeler on the ice. Everybody has to learn courtesy, patience and tolerance. One group of “sporstmen” doesn’t and shouldn’t have the right to dictate what others do if it doesn’t fit their agenda. If the pontoon partyers wand to congregate in the shallows and have their fun then let em do it. At least they’re not out on the big part of the lake causing traffic jams.

I don’t think recreational users at the public access is the problem he’s trying to point out. Its the hazardous, no-respect use on the water. Recreational boaters often take longer at the access than others, yes. But their lack of respect creating monster wakes, zipping past on jet skis, and other blaring loud rap music is what I take offense to. I don’t participate in any of that questionable behavior geared towards others on the water, and that’s how I would expect to be treated in return.

What’s wrong with rap music?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What’s wrong with rap music?

Nothing. I listen to some of it myself. It just doesn’t need to be blared halfway across the lake.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.