Mille Lacs Reopening Announcement

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I find it interesting that the DNR would put out a press release 1 day before after letting people twist in the wind for two weeks.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) – Catch-and-release walleye fishing will re-open on Mille Lacs Lake this weekend, starting at 6 a.m. on Friday Aug. 11, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday. The use of live bait will also return to Mille Lacs. Walleye season will continue through Monday, Sept. 4.

“After an extended mid-season closure, we look forward to reopening the lake to catch-and-release walleye fishing,” said a statement from Don Pereira, the DNR’s fisheries section chief.

The DNR enacted a temporary ban as the lake continues to struggle with its walleye population. For the second year in a row, anglers are only allowed to catch and release walleye, but the goal of the ban is to prevent fish from dying after being caught and released.

Top fox9.com Searches
    The night fishing ban will remain in place from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. through Nov. 30. Current regulations allow anglers to fish for muskie and northern pike at night, but they may only use artificial lures longer than 8 inches or sucker minnows longer than 8 inches. Bowfishing for rough fish also is allowed at night but possession of angling equipment is not allowed and only rough fish may be in possession.

As of July 31, anglers had harvested 47,899 pounds of walleye, out of the state’s conservation cap of 55,800 pounds. The DNR made the decision in July to dip into the conservation cap in order to extend the walleye season through Labor Day.

Mille Lacs has historically been a prime walleye destination, but lately resorts have been promoting the lake’s other species while the DNR works to restore the walleye population.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

That was nice of them to give the confirmation so early.

What a complete failure. I hope the results of the Mille Lacs Treaty Harvest plan is the model used to show Special Treaty Harvest should never ever be expanded to any other areas of the state! One standard limit and season for everyone. It’s been a complete bust.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t blame the DNR. I’m sure they were awaiting the word from GLIFWC.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Don’t blame the DNR. I’m sure they were awaiting the word from GLIFWC.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. It’s only funny because it’s true, which is sad.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Wow, 8000 pounds to go. What are they going to do, open it up for this weekend and close it right back down?

If the starving fish in that lake will still bite like a billy hell and guy keep whacking 50-100 a day how long will it take in all honesty?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Why should they even have to announce it?

Because it is dependent on the Hooking Mortality loss. And from July 1-15th (it was closed the 7th, so only could target walleye half that time) supposedly lost 4,277 pounds of walleye to Hooking Mortality. That would lead people to believe that from July 15th until August 10th we may have fulfilled the entire quota, and they wouldn’t be re-opening it.

Using your Deer hunting analogy, this would be like the DNR saying the Deer herd can only handle a harvest of 10,000 deer and 7500 deer were hit by cars thru the end of October…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It was already supposed to re-open in July, and got pushed back to now. Seems logical to me.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How did you know months ago it was going to reopen on August 11 when it was scheduled for end of July Bob?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.