Mille Lacs

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Alright, heading out to Mille Lacs for the day on friday. Haven’t been out there this year. Any pointers? Not looking for your secret spots. Going in a pickup so won’t be venturing too far off the path, unfortunately. I know the cracks might really get big here after it warms up so will have a sharp eye open for them.

Mike J
    Wright County

Same here. Friday with my truck. I was thinking of hitting the offshore gravel on the SE side. Curious to hear any responses/reports.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Check out the Mille Lacs forum under Minnesota Lakes and Rivers.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Fished out of Twin Pines resort last Friday from 9am -4 pm with no luck. We were in about 20′ in a hard shack. Got a few marks but no biters.
    Came back from Brainerd on Saturday around 4:45pm and then fished out from Randy’s rentals for an overnighter. 28’FOW picked up a 23″ & 22″ right off the bat and then nothing throughout the rest of the night until 10am Sunday morning when we departed. Deadstick with shiner and orange hook and deadstick with plain hook and fathead took the only 2 fish for us.

As far as traveling off the plowed paths, I wouldn’t do it unless you like shoveling yourself out a lot. Plenty of snow and drifts out there.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Fished out of Twin Pines resort last Friday from 9am -4 pm with no luck. We were in about 20′ in a hard shack. Got a few marks but no biters.
    Came back from Brainerd on Saturday around 4:45pm and then fished out from Randy’s rentals for an overnighter. 28’FOW picked up a 23″ & 22″ right off the bat and then nothing throughout the rest of the night until 10am Sunday morning when we departed. Deadstick with shiner and orange hook and deadstick with plain hook and fathead took the only 2 fish for us.

As far as traveling off the plowed paths, I wouldn’t do it unless you like shoveling yourself out a lot. Plenty of snow and drifts out there.

How much snow is out there? I fish by Detroit Lakes mostly and I can get around these lakes with few issues. I’ve got fairly aggressive tires on that perform really well in the snow. Basically I can handle more snow than stock pickup… Nothing crazy though

bbuchho90

20fow is too shallow this time of year for midday bite, imo. Would suggest 28-30fow, the bottom edge of breaks, find those fish out cruising for a meal. Dawn and dusk, move up to the top edge and get the fish feeding on top of the flats/gravel.

Wasn’t up there personally last weekend, but several over 24″ were caught out of our house, along with a slot fish and lots of 18s. “Didn’t get to sleep”. Bite could be good this weekend with the temps warming up.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Check out Tony R or Brads online reports.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

20fow is too shallow this time of year for midday bite, imo. Would suggest 28-30fow, the bottom edge of breaks, find those fish out cruising for a meal. Dawn and dusk, move up to the top edge and get the fish feeding on top of the flats/gravel.

Wasn’t up there personally last weekend, but several over 24″ were caught out of our house, along with a slot fish and lots of 18s. “Didn’t get to sleep”. Bite could be good this weekend with the temps warming up.

Thats what I’m hoping is going to happen!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.