Mid-summer Bayport walleyes?

• Brady Walter

I’m looking to get out on the St. Croix this weekend for some walleye/sauger fishing in the Bayport area. This will be my first time fishing around there, and am wondering if anyone has any advice or recent reports? Thanks in advance for any information!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Brady,

Hello. Better late than never in this response as they say… and you may be fishing in Bayport again so I thought I would post a reply.

First off if you are new to the river or an area of the river always check the map. ( I read the fishing hot spots map still to this day for ideas and new angles – it gives me ideas, I verify structure on my on board map then later while fishing) A paper map is best where you can read it at home and let the juices marinate…

Then for starters find some of the bigger structure ( points and shorelines ) and work the drop offs this time of year.

This holds especially true during stable summer weather patterns.

Saugers also are coming in now too. I think spinners are a good choice right now. Red/pink blades and green/chart blades have been decent. The Walleyes slow down for most of us right now me including, but you can get some and some days depending on the weather can be good.

Good luck
    Turk

Brady Walter

Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity (this is probably a dumb question), are you finding saugers in the same areas that the walleye are in, or are they targeted differently? I’m newer to river fishing, and slowly trying to put all of the pieces together!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Brady,

Yes and no. There are places you always get a mix. Then there are places you get mainly saug dogs. Saugers used to be called “sand pike” by the old rats that used to hang around Beanies. So I always remembered that slang term and back then I had no idea what they were talking about… sand pike…sand pike??? but ya know theres a lot of truth in that term, as overtime I found the saugers love the sand especially the deep sand.

Turk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.