Kenosha Cohos

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Went out this weekend for the first trip of the year on the big pond. Had a 4 man limit in 2.5 hours. All fish caught on 00 dodger and fly. Fished anywhere from 20-40′. Speed didn’t seem to matter much.
    Cooked up a few fillets on some cedar planks last night…awesome!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

When cooking them on planks…. how are you doing it? With a real thin piece of cedar, something from a typical lumber yard? Soaked for a couple hours first? I’ve only done them on the grill… fighting to get the skin off the burner when ready.

Good to hear the fish are out there, I’m getting out in Racine tomorrow am – just using my flickershads and walleye gear, and hoping for the best.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I soak the planks for a few hours, and then lay the fillets right on top over medium high heat. It smokes like crazy for about 5-10 minutes while they’re cooking. I buy planks from the grilling section of big box stores. I know you can buy cedar much cheaper from the lumber dept, but I’m just not sure if they treat the wood with any strange chemicals so I play it safe.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

I rub olive oil on the cedar boards . They don’t stick as bad and helps it from charring the board

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

So they are not a use once, and toss board? Sorry to have taken report of topic.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Nice report, I am heading that way in a week so excited for some salmon action. As far as having salmon stick to your grill if you dont have a plank run the fillet in olive oil and lay down a flat piece of tin foil right on your grill great works great. – QB

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Flip them dirty side down over the burners, burn off the crud,drop in a bucket of clean water to stop the burning, and reuse. I have been using the same one for years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.