Metro Ice

• olas88

Was out on Croix last weekend so was curious if the warm weather will hurt. Thanks!

Ripjiggen

River ice is much different than lake ice.

olas88

That is for sure :). Ice was good last weekend but a lot of warm days this last week

Aboxy17

Did not see much ice loss from last weekend. Snow cover on the lakes was almost the same. Perfect driving conditions.

Brittman

Lot’s of traffic on the St. Croix ice when we drove over the Hwy 36 bridge.

On a small WI lake this PM. Bite was aggressive for about an hour or so. Crappies suspended and feeding hard.

olas88

On the Croix now, lots of traffic, no sturgeon

Brittman

To the top just on principle. This rain … ugh.

So then you say let the hard water season end and we will probably have ice out around opener. hah Bass opener jester

Ripjiggen

I guess it’s better than a foot of snow. Lakes should be pretty easy to navigate now.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

some pictures floating around (pun intended) of permanent fish houses in 2-3 feet of water on lake minnetonka

olas88

Supposed to get cold again too so that should be fun if your permanent house is under water…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

some pictures floating around (pun intended) of permanent fish houses in 2-3 feet of water on lake minnetonka

Guys don’t realize that rain eats at the already drilled holes. Those holes that your shack is sitting on is just growing especially it you don’t have it banked well. If I had a shack I would move it to a spot where there is no holes drilled. Buddy sent me a video of cyclone holes on rush this morning, those are what eat permanent shacks in these conditions

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I was on Tonka Monday afternoon. Was planning on walking out but there were several trucks out so I drove out too. I didn’t measure the ice but I would say about 16-18 inches with the first 4 refrozen snow. There was only 3″ of snow on the ice so the rain yesterday had to do some damage. If I go to that bay again I would probably walk.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I was on Tonka Monday afternoon. Was planning on walking out but there were several trucks out so I drove out too. I didn’t measure the ice but I would say about 16-18 inches with the first 4 refrozen snow. There was only 3″ of snow on the ice so the rain yesterday had to do some damage. If I go to that bay again I would probably walk.

Ya just as a PSA it was Carsons Bay was the reported trouble area. Use caution if in that area

Dave maze
    Isanti

I remember seeing cyclone holes on rush when I was a kid. It was all fun and games until my feet started sliding in.

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

There are huge pools of deep water on every bay I drove by today on the west end of the lake…not looking good..

Ripjiggen

Will be froze by weekend

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Pools of water aren’t that bad. When they disappear into the ice, then it’s time to be more careful. Still wouldn’t get me out there until after this next cold snap.

Brittman

I cannot ice fish until Sunday PM. The ice sure looks nice now. I know it can be perceiving per the weathermen, the sheriff, and the DNR …

I drove over the Hwy 36 bridge this afternoon. Big trucks and wheel houses out in force all over the St Croix River. Looked like some were driving a mile or so up from the landing.

Looks like now you will have to worry about slipping on slick ice.

Umy
    South Metro

On lower Prior today
    14″ + inched under my hub.
    Lots of 8-9″ sunnies – small crappies about 4″ long
    17 FOW

OG Net_Man

On lower Prior today
    Lots of 8-9″ sunnies – small <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappies about 4″ long
    17 FOW

If you measure the ice as well as you measure sunfish then I would be worried to drive on that ice.

olas88

I cannot ice fish until Sunday PM. The ice sure looks nice now. I know it can be perceiving per the weathermen, the sheriff, and the DNR …

I drove over the Hwy 36 bridge this afternoon. Big trucks and wheel houses out in force all over the St Croix River. Looked like some were driving a mile or so up from the landing.

Looks like now you will have to worry about slipping on slick ice.

Thanks for the update! Will be even more after the cold snap tonight. going to try and get out again this weekend

Umy
    South Metro

Funny, those little ones were a couple weeks ago. waytogo
    Yesterday’s catch was much better.
    I am unlike most of the people I know. Don’t care what size or kind, I just like being outdoors and enjoying nature – 5″ or 8 or 9″ doesn’t always matter. Tug on the line is always fun.
    Beats the hell out of driving a desk!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is actually not very much for the middle of February. It should be well over 20 inches by now.

Once it starts melting, it won’t take long.

Aboxy17

I have not seen less than 16 inches anywhere here in the north metro. Still trucks and wheelhouses everywhere.

Gregg Gunter

I got out yesterday north of metro. Saw vehicles on Clear lake by Forest Lake. Did some scouting and found trucks on ice. I drove out in my Highlander. About 18” of ice but not clear all the way to the top. Lots of marks but mostly lookers. We caught some small sunnies. Scouted a couple lakes later and both had trucks on ice.

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Terry K wrote:</div>

That is actually not very much for the middle of February. It should be well over 20 inches by now.

Once it starts melting, it won’t take long.

I must have been to subtle with my reference. I was doubting the sunfish statement.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I must have been to subtle with my reference. I was doubting the sunfish statement.

Haha. I knew what you were referencing.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Make sure you check! rotflol

Attachments:
    1. pothole.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Make sure you wear your ice cleats! Nice to pull a sled now at least!

Aboxy17

It almost felt like early ice again today lol. Cold and breezy with glare ice. Looks like the sled-pulling conditions will only last about a couple of days. Fishing was not great tonight struck out on walleyes, it happens.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.