2024 morels

• slabz

Anybody been out hunting morels yet this spring? I found about 2 dozen small grays (1-2″ tall) tonight in central Minnesota. I would guess these ones popped within the past few days. Conditions so far have been ideal with the moisture we have received and the extended forecast looks promising too (highs near 70, lows in the upper 40s, and more precip). Bring on the morels!

LabDaddy1

I just tried for my first time yesterday. Didn’t find any but also didn’t cover much ground either. Tried to identify recently dead elm trees since I hear that’s where they grow best, but I kind of struggled finding any. I’ll probably try again tomorrow or the next day.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I checked out a couple good looking areas and found one yellow.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’ve been getting about this many every other day for about a week now. A couple days it was even more.
    Have eatin more meals this year than in the last 3 combined.

Attachments:
    1. 20240507_173214.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Nothing for me yet. Went out on Sunday & Tuesday to a few places I’ve found them before and grabbed a bunch of Fiddle Heads for consolation. Forgot how good they can be! Hopefully I can find some soon! Fresh steak is on the menu this weekend.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I checked out a couple good looking areas and found one yellow.

Nothing for me yet. Went out on Sunday & Tuesday to a few places I’ve found them before and grabbed a bunch of Fiddle Heads for consolation. Forgot how good they can be! Hopefully I can find some soon! Fresh steak is on the menu this weekend.

Stepped on one at my place last night. Oops.
    You’re both welcome to come look around.
    First come first served toast

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s going gang busters here along the river. I’ve got maybe one more hike in me before I pull the plug as I can’t stand dealing with bugs or the brush that is really taking over once the woods are completely greened up.

I think my tally in 3 walks so far is just over 90 morels…and probably only 4 hours in the woods. I haven’t found that one motherload clump, but scattered handfuls. About ~75% of mine have come near dying (not completely dead) elms.

Now I’ll just have to prep for a little Saturday bumper boats with your guys’ Governor in town…to have our annual “Hook and Look” lunch on Mother’s Day of fresh walleye and morels.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Stepped on one at my place last night. Oops.
    You’re both welcome to come look around.
    First come first served toast

I’ll see you at 5:18 waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Stumbled into one on a hike and found a few more nearby. In the general area of a dead oak stump. First time finding some!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8035-scaled.jpeg

haleysgold
    SE MN

Anyone else notice these suckers can have a laxative effect?
    The butter they’re fried in doesn’t help either.

After a few days of eating them daily…Thunder in the Canyon!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Anyone else notice these suckers can have a laxative effect?
    The butter they’re fried in doesn’t help either.

After a few days of eating them daily…Thunder in the Canyon!!

They’re about as rich and dangerous as a food can be.

Last year my college buddies came down on a Friday afternoon in early May and 8 of us fried up walleye I had caught earlier that week and drank “A COUPLE” beers while debating our river fishing plans the next morning until 1:00am.

Fast forward to my wife’s gracious offering at 5:45am to whip up 3 egg omlets for everyone filled with some spinach, cheese, morels, and a hint of salsa…………

Yeah I’ve never seen boats moving for islands on the river so fast within 40 minutes of being out there. At one point in my boat we had someone reeling in a keeper with about 120′ of line out trolling…while my other buddy was nervously sweating as he rapidly chucked gear into piles…and I was firing up the big motor to head to shore. We might have been on plane before that fish truly made it into the boat, and it wasn’t a moment too soon. Within minutes the other 2 boats were following us as fast as can be.

picklerick
    Central WI

Since the topic was brought up, I was famous as a teenager for leaving my underwear in the woods after using it for toilet paper when out squirrel or rabbit hunting with my brother and cousin in KY. Happened almost every time. My cousin’s wife would go all out on breakfast, biscuits and gravy, eggs, chicken fried venison, fried potatoes, and we all pigged out before going hunting. I have no idea how they didn’t have the same issue. We’d split up to hunt and afterwards one of them would always ask, “Still got your underwear, Pat?”

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

now there’s a legacy!!! whistling

Hunting24seven

Went out Tuesday to check a spot Ive found them in the past. Nothing. Walked 30 yards to a dying elm I hadn’t noticed before and found a bunch. Picked a handful of the bigger ones for a ribeye that night and will check back next week to see what the little ones turned into. For me at least, finding them is more fun than eating them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Went out Tuesday to check a spot Ive found them in the past. Nothing. Walked 30 yards to a dying elm I hadn’t noticed before and found a bunch. Picked a handful of the bigger ones for a ribeye that night and will check back next week to see what the little ones turned into. For me at least, finding them is more fun than eating them.

If I ever cash in all my “I owe you’s” coming my way for giving people a pound of morels….I’ll be drowned in free labor and beer. My wife and I ate 3 or 4 each on a burger last night and I’ve given the rest away.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

They’re out

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3725-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_3722-scaled.jpeg

LabDaddy1

Stumbled into one on a hike and found a few more nearby. In the general area of a dead oak stump. First time finding some!

Nice, Werm. Did you cook them up?

JEREMY
    BP

Checked a spot last night hoping some giant ones would be up. It was crazy dry.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.