Metro Ice

• DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Any lakes around the city ready or close? I was hoping to get out this week.

I am hearing that Crystal has 2-5″, that isnt pretty marginal for my comfort level. I can do some driving around to check things out, but has anyone seen activity on the popular lakes?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Haven’t been by the popular lakes by me in the SW metro, but did venture out on a pond this weekend while hunting and quickly backed off of it. More cracking than I was comfortable with.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was going to check a 6 acre pond near me that was safe before the warm up a week ago and hoping it’s safe after this cold stretch. But one of my girls woke up with a fever and had to stay home from school, so no fishing for me today. Probably won’t get on the ice until Red this weekend.

Angler II
    Participant

Haven’t been by the popular lakes by me in the SW metro, but did venture out on a pond this weekend while hunting and quickly backed off of it. More cracking than I was comfortable with.

I had the same thing while pheasant hunting this weekend. Ice was sketchy at best.

Wildlifeguy
    Participant

Saw a couple folks out on the pond next to 35W in Roseville. They looked dry anyway.

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Saw a couple folks out on the pond next to 35W in Roseville. They looked dry anyway.

Well, that is a good start!!!

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

There was a guy on Diamond lake about 20 yards from the launch when I drove by to hit Cabelas.

tim hurley
    Participant

I might go this weekend just outside of the metro-hoping it has been a little colder and maybe less snow, metro got more than the surrounding areas, snow of course is no friend to ice.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Checked a lake south metro this weekend. Nobody was on it. First step broke through. I didn’t keep walking. Snow is blowing off most lakes though.

welliou
    Participant

Saturday I saw a portable on the south end of Medicine.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Cant speak for the Metro. But the activity here in my area has really picked up in the last week. lakes were really making ice here in the last few days !!!

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

lots of people fishing the small bays of tonka right now. the big bays have a ways to go yet. some of them still have open water on portions.

havent checked the ice conditions myself yet. Ill probably take a spud out tonight and report back on thickness

mojo
    Participant

I’ve seen a few individuals on Demontreville occasionally over the last week. One guy out there again today.

tim hurley
    Participant

I’m going NW toward FThumper. Keep reporting.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Ice fisherman on every lake around me. The kid and I snuck out last night on a small local lake

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1158.jpg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Decent crappie

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1152.jpg

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Damn bearcat nice haul! How much ice were you seeing?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Damn bearcat nice haul! How much ice were you seeing?

Some lakes 2 the one we were on was 5. But it’s small and pretty much snow free after the winds

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Thanks! I have a handful of small lakes around me that I havnt had a chance to check yet that should be close if not walkable already.

broeker
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Both Lake Harriet and Bde Maka Ska (and guessing Isles/Cedar also) are frozen over as of Sunday morning (on Friday, Harriet was still almost all open.) I walked out about 15′ on Bde Maka Ska before it started cracking around me so still super sketchy but hopefully it won’t be long.

tim hurley
    Participant

Bde is always VERY late to freeze.

broeker
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Official first sighting of a brave soul out in a hub on Lake Harriet tonight! I didn’t walk out to see how thick the ice was but that is an encouraging sign for the weekend.

olas88
    Participant

Single digit temps overnight the last few nights have helped a lot I would assume.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

Nice to have good ice so early this year. So many years we don’t have it over Christmas break when many of us have a lot of time off to go out. Just have to hope that we don’t get a warm spell and have to start all over again.

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I saw Waconia’s In Towne Marina posting 2-8″ of ice and due to thin spots, they have chosen to remain closed for this weekend

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I am seeing 30’s this weekend followed by a potential sizable storm next Tues/Wed which could be a mix of rain/snow.

broeker
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

I finally got out tonight on the Chain of Lakes and it was exactly 4.25″ in most spots I drilled. With lows just below ~30 for the next week I’m hoping it all holds…looks like some nice night time lows starting about one week from today.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I am seeing 30’s this weekend followed by a potential sizable storm next Tues/Wed which could be a mix of rain/snow.

You don’t ice fish. Stay out of it. Lol if we wanted a weather girl we’d turn on channel 11

olas88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

You don’t ice fish. Stay out of it. Lol if we wanted a weather girl we’d turn on channel 11

rotflol

tim hurley
    Participant

It could stay this temp all winter, mostly I walk out and when people start driving the bite gets very slow anyway.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.