Northern Lights Tonight

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hope to see the Northern Lights tonight at Mille Lacs. Good Luck on your opener!

-J.

http://www.fox9.com/news/northern-lights-in-mn-could-be-very-active-on-friday-due-to-severe-storm

Northern Lights in MN could be very active on Friday due to ‘severe’ storm
    By FOX 9 StaffPublished May 9, 2024 4:22pm CDTSpaceFOX 9

(FOX 9) – A major geomagnetic storm could set the stage for a brilliant Northern Lights display in Minnesota on Friday night.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is forecasting a G4 (severe) geomagnetic storm from late Friday into early Saturday morning. For reference, a G5 is the highest level on the storm scale.

The NOAA says “the aurora may become visible over much of the northern half of the country, and maybe as far south as Alabama to northern California.”

The National Weather Service for the Twin Cities calls the solar activity “one of the strongest solar storms we’ve seen in a decade.” They say the potential is there for a very active aurora in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Right now, the weather forecast is calling for clear skies, putting Minnesotans in prime seats for seeing the Northern Lights.

This geomagnetic storm is being fueled by several coronal mass ejections from the sun that are expected to merge before hitting the Earth’s atmosphere.

As always, it’s important to know the aurora is tricky to forecast and nothing is guaranteed.

Tips for viewing the aurora
    As always, you should get away from population centers for the best chance of seeing the aurora. Light pollution from cities makes it difficult to see stars and the aurora.

Also, the further north you can go, the better shot you will have to see the lights.

The moon can also impact our chances of seeing the aurora. Luckily, we are in a new moon phase this weekend.

Typically, the best viewing times for the aurora are within an hour or two of midnight.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh!
    Thanks for reminding me. I’ve lived in Minnesota my whole life and never seen them once hopefully this weekend.

JEREMY
    BP

You have to stay up past sunset.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

That could be a challenge toast

Charles

There is good lake to the south of you that has a great veiwing of it.

CaptainMusky

Its supposed to rain tonight so I am guessing we will not get a chance to see it.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Tough to see anything from here because of all the lights, but the sky looks red with green stuff moving around. Not very bright but it’s there. Meanwhile I was on the Ham Radio contacting people all over North America by bouncing my signal off the aurora. Very unusual conditions.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Attachments:
    1. 20240510_221747-scaled.jpg

munchy
    NULL

Down here in Rochester we had about 15 minutes where the entire sky was glowing. Had just as good of view looking south as north. Seeing online the neighbors got some good shots of pillars and lots of deep blues. My camera couldn’t pick up that stuff.
    (The one with powerlines is looking north and the one with the tree in the middle is looking south.)

Attachments:
    1. 20240510_215218-scaled.jpg

2. 20240510_215840-scaled.jpg

munchy
    NULL

A few more

Attachments:
    1. 20240510_222137-scaled.jpg

2. 20240510_221214-scaled.jpg

3. 20240510_222358-scaled.jpg

4. 20240510_215126-scaled.jpg

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Eastern Iowa five minutes ago.

Attachments:
    1. F0FC91C9-00FE-41A0-89A8-A0C3C0554652-scaled.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

I always see meteorologists say when chances are good to see them but it never comes to fruition where I live, but tonight it did. First time in my life living in SE Minnesota I’ve seen them, only other times have been up north.

It’s crazy how much it changes when you take a picture of it, I guess it’s true and the camera really does magnify the colors. My wife wouldn’t stop taking pictures but I just enjoyed watching the colors and shapes shift with the naked eye.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Sure does. At first I thought they were clouds. I’m standing out in my front yard like a turd taken pictures of the sky. So cool! Just flared up again.

Attachments:
    1. 14DC5C13-DD6A-4478-8CBA-7A5073A52A96-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They were dancing at our place. Unfortunately I didn’t get tingly looking at them. The kids thought they were awesome so I enjoyed the show with them for them.

LabDaddy1

They were dancing at our place. Unfortunately I didn’t get tingly looking at them. The kids thought they were awesome so I enjoyed the show with them for them.

Booooo sucka! Lol yeah I don’t get too fired up over much sky activity either. I will say this time was cool, though. Somehow have never witnessed the norther lights prior to tonight.

Friend sent a beauty of a pic from where he was at in the east metro. I said “man I can’t see anything like that here(ten miles away from there on a high spot)”. Then I started taking pictures with my phone an—like magic— you could see the purples and greens… I was able to see some cool “rays” or “beams” with the naked eye, but the camera really brought out the colors.

The shots I got are pretty similar to a bunch of them in posts above^

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2160-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_2158-scaled.jpeg

3. IMG_2162-scaled.jpeg

4. IMG_2163-scaled.jpeg

LabDaddy1

Wanted to say; most of all I’m grateful that a good majority of us are blessed enough to be able to see it this time around. I’m not grateful enough for the simple things a lot of times. God is good.

(Now, god, if you’d just be gracious enough to bless my mole traps with twice last year’s yield, I will… something…)

Amen. blush mrgreen

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dang it!
    Went to the meat raffle and forgot about it.

toast toast toast doah

jwellsy

The sun spot that created this storm is supposedly about the same size as the sunspot that created the Carrington Event in 1850.
    They don’t expect it to be a direct hit like the Carrington which burned telegraph offices.

Here’s what they are saying today Saturday morning.

“HE STORM IS NOT OVER: A CME hit Earth’s magnetic field on May 10th, sparking the biggest geomagnetic storm in almost 20 years–an extreme (category G5) event. It is subsiding now (currently category G4), but it is not over. More CMEs are expected to hit Earth’s magnetic field during the next 24-48 hours, and they could push the storm back to extreme levels.

spaceweather.com
    swpc.noaa.gov

CaptainMusky

We have just enough light pollution at our house that we couldnt really see the colors, but you could definitely make out the movement in the sky. It was pretty cool. First time I have seen them here.

Deuces

Just a few from mille lacs

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2210.jpg

2. IMG_2218.jpg

3. IMG_2197.jpg

Tom schmitt

What a difference viewing angle makes. I stayed up to watch the lights but spent the time looking up at them. Very little color when looking up vs looking to the horizon.

Ripjiggen

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0325-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.