Marine radio

• clawman
    Spokane Wa

Is it reasonable to expect an AM FM radio in a boat to work the same as the radio in my truck? I am referring to reception.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sure. Just keep in mind you have to be comparing apples to apples. Does your boat radio have the same antennae that your truck has?

A lot of boat radios are installed without antennas and obviously that is going to impact reception. Just a rubber whip antennae is all you really need, but a lot of boat manufacturers don’t even bother with that.

Grouse

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

My reception is terrible… but the little antenna is the problem from everything I have read. Common thought is to put a good antenna on and solve the problem. I just opt to leave it off and enjoy mother nature, but catching an occasional football game would be nice.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

from my experiences it mostly in your antenna…….as usual, size matters!!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Antenna and good ground. On the AM side, I rarely get a good signal. Always get some kind of electrical interference from anything running in the boat. (Pumps, t-motor, electronics.) Need to shut down everything to get a channel.

Sirius is a great solution.

-J.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

And don’t forget, the lakes and rivers are at the bottom of the nearest hole. Reception is WAY better up on the hill. Unless the signal is coming from outer space, like Sirrus.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.