Mad Duck Custom Ice Rods

• dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Mad Duck Custom Ice Rods. I have been looking at their site on and off for a few months and am thinking about pulling the trigger on one before it’s too late to use it for late ice action. I love the fact that they are made in northern MN, and I have heard great things from anyone who has one. Anyone have $.02 to throw in on these?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My uncle fishes with a rod that has a handle bent like that (not the same as mad duck) and he loves it. He says it is easier on his wrist.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They should show one with a reel on it so I can make heads or tails of it. Rod action would be nice too.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I love the style of the bent handle, in fact I usually modify my other pan-fishing rods to something similar because it seems a lot more comfortable to me, and also more economical in terms of space in lockers etc. Im curious how the “unfinished” rod blanks hold up or if they cause issues down the road

Anyone have $.02 to throw in on these?

Those look like a bong accessory…
    hah

AaronMoore

looked at them at this years show, a little strange to hold for me but a very intresting concept

Jason Guthmiller

I’ve never seen one in person but it looks like it would be comfortable to use. The main concern would be that it looks like it would be very slippery if you got your gloves wet fishing out side on a cold day. I think it would be a great rod of someone with arthritis because of the angle of your wrist and the larger size of the grip.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Mad Duck Custom Ice Rods.

No, but I don’t think I would be willing to spend the asking price just to try one. I usually hold my rod while fishing it but use a rod holder while eating sandwich, tying on a new lure, etc.. Not sure this rod would fit most rodholders on the market today.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Looks kind of cool. My concerns are: attaching a reel, fitting a rod holder, are they easily breakable

Brandon George Howard Jr
    Northern Minnesota

I’ve tried one out before, and like many others I was skeptical at first.

The handle seems to be the main concern for many people, but its kind of like holding a pistol in a way. The “duck head” (hump on top of the handle) is usually where I put my index finger, and it feels extremely comfortable in the hands. Fits in the palm really well.

The actual rod blank itself is fairly sensitive, but all the magic is in the handle. It’s also surprisingly light.

I’ve had some pretty amazing hooksets using a Mad Duck. Like mentioned, they are really sensitive and you can feel an upward bite from a crappie with ease and set the hook with ease. Never got the chance to catch a Northern with one, but
    from the action I felt fighting walleye I know these rods can handle bigger fish with ease.

The only complaint I have is they don’t really make them long enough for my liking. I like hole hopping, and I usually go with a 34″ – 40″ rod, but I think the longest they make is 29″. (The rod I used was a 25″)

And of course, using reel tape works wonders when equipping a reel. I couldn’t imagine trying to use castration bands on these reels, lol.

Attachments:
    1. MD.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.